2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
29 registered members (Beowulf, AlphaBravoCharlie, Alex C, cmb13, Brometeo, Charades, dobro, CyberGene, dima5222, 5 invisible), 387 guests, and 484 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? #2946816 02/14/20 12:14 PM
F
Fer15 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hi
I am new in this forum posting, but I have read many of your posts, especially about kawai and yamaha. I am interested in buying a piano, but the options are somewhat limited in my country (Mexico).
By any chance someone who lives in Mexico has bought his piano in the United States? Or someone who bought a good grand piano in Mexico could describe me your purchase process?

I have the option to buy a yamaha cx, kawai gx o shigeru kawai.
If you have to decide to buy a yamaha cx7, kawai gx7 or a shigeru skl2 without playing them. What would you do?? They cost pretty much the same (around 40k).

I would greatly appreciate your advice.
Thanks in advance and please excuse my english.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: Fer15] #2946829 02/14/20 12:50 PM
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If I had to decide without testing them first, I would get the Yamaha. First, because I am totally biased toward Yamaha! whome But also because I've played several new and used Kawai grands (ones in the G and R series but never an SK). But I never liked the action on the Kawai grands I played. Consistently, including new and used Kawai grands, I disliked the action on all of the ones I tested out. But I've liked the action of all the Yamaha c-series pianos I've played, so if I were piano shopping without being able to test the piano first, I would buy a Yamaha.

Do you really have to decide without playing them? If so, then is there anyway you can play other instruments (used ones) that are by Yamaha and Kawai? If you played a bunch of Kawai grands and really liked them, then get a Kawai. If you play a bunch of Yamahas and decide you prefer them, then get a Yamaha....

Good luck!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: Fer15] #2946838 02/14/20 01:22 PM
terminaldegree Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
If all the pianos you listed are new, probably the CX7 or the GX7 over the SK2, because of the huge size difference. If it were an SK3, 5, or 6 that would be a more difficult comparison, in most cases.

How are you going to use the piano?

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: Fer15] #2946870 02/14/20 03:46 PM
H
Hakki Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
H
I don't think the Yamaha C7X will be the same price as the Kawai GX 7. Kawai will probably be cheaper.

Shigeru Kawai SK 2 is much smaller than the other two therefore I wouldn't recommend it.

Yamaha and Kawai OTOH are completely different from each other, both in touch and tone.

What type of piano do you play in your school ?

Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: Fer15] #2946889 02/14/20 04:47 PM
J
Jethro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Match the piano to your room size and specific acoustic considerations. All very good pianos you mentioned. I have an SK2 in a small to moderate sized living space. I can't imagine having a larger piano in than room because the room allows me to hear the full dynamic range of that piano, anything larger and I'll have a headache. In general, if your room supports it a larger piano will get you that richer tone everyone longs for but there is a point of diminishing returns.

Working on:

Bach/Busoni Chaconne in D minor BWV 1004
Chopin: G Minor Ballade
Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2946891 02/14/20 04:57 PM
F
Fer15 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thank you very much

Shirokuro: What I thing I’m going to do is drive to Texas and at least play the models that I can buy in my country (gx, cx, sk). What do you dislike more about Kawai gx?

Terminaldegree: Yes, all the pianos are new. I know bigger is better, but the difference in sound quality is so great in a larger instrument than in a smaller? Even if the smaller is a better piano? (Sk2 vs gx7)
I’m considering maybe a bigger shigeru, but are pricey.
I play mostly classical and jazz

Hakki: For now, in different stores the price are pretty much the same (around 40k). Really size > better piano model? Even in a 26x10 Room (3 x 8 mts)?
I’m 35 years old and I have been playing an upright piano the last 10 years (kawai K3)

Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: Fer15] #2946895 02/14/20 05:09 PM
J
Jethro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
There is a saying amongst auto enthusiasts, "It’s more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slow." If you understand what that means I think it would be applicable to your situation. I like to play my piano to the edge of its capabilities enjoying its full range without worry about breaking a window or without the need to bang it as loud as I can just to hear something. Somewhere in-between there is will be something perfect. Deep lush tone is- yeah that's nice to have, but if it requires one to wear ear-plugs or play like you're pressing eggshells doesn't make much sense.

Working on:

Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: Fer15] #2946901 02/14/20 05:35 PM
H
Hakki Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
H
The general formula for max. piano size is:

Max piano size = Room perimeter / 10 (for 8 ft ceiling height).

The piano should be placed diagonaly in a corner, open lid looking into the longer diagonal of the room, at about 1/5 of the room lenght away from the walls.

In your case max. piano size is 7' 2" (219 cm).

For jazz forget both GX and Shigeru Kawais.

Yamaha C7X is the one that you should buy. It nicely fits both jazz and classical.

https://youtu.be/HqJ7cS2dnT4

https://youtu.be/yENa8tfQMmw

Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: Hakki] #2946912 02/14/20 06:09 PM
terminaldegree Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hakki

For jazz forget both GX and Shigeru Kawais.
Yamaha C7X is the one that you should buy. It nicely fits both jazz and classical.

Although I respect your playing, I think this is stupid advice.
Forget nothing and try everything within your budget.
The best jazz pianists I know of on this forum own a Blüthner, a Shigeru Kawai, and a Steinway, for what it’s worth.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: Jethro] #2946935 02/14/20 07:36 PM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Without a second thought the CX7. Maybe if the Shigeru was considerably bigger I’d have to think about it. Kawai’s are great pianos, just not my cup of tea. Typically I don’t like the action on the GX series. Yamaha CX7

Last edited by j&j; 02/14/20 07:40 PM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: Jethro] #2946937 02/14/20 07:38 PM
F
Fer15 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks Jethro
All that makes great sense, but how can I possibly know where is that point where having a bigger piano is not beneficial.
Carpet and acoustic panels could be enough in a 26 x 10 ft (3 x 8 mts) room to have 7-foot piano?
The formula that Hakki sugest could be enough to have green light to go for the biggest piano that your room perimeter allows?

Thanks Hakki for the information
Those videos are very good.

Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: Fer15] #2946941 02/14/20 07:52 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Hi Fer
I have a 7 ft grand in a 14x 21 ft room: rug with a thick pad under the piano, a few upholstered chairs, and a basket of throws. I placed the piano on a slight diagonal and did not need acoustic panels. I play on full stick.

I would vote for your getting a 7 ft grand based on my experience

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: Fer15] #2946956 02/14/20 08:42 PM
G
GC13 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Hi Fer15 -

I have a 7 ft Steinway B, a pretty powerful piano, in a room that's about 14 x 15 with 9 ft ceilings. Our floor plan on the main floor is fairly open - 2 story foyer, and large openings between rooms. I have the piano on an angle and I have a 5x7 oriental rug under it. It's not at all overpowering when I play with full stick. Yes, it will completely fill our 2500 sq ft home with sound, top to bottom, when I play full force. But it is not harsh or over bearing. I think you'll do just fin with a 7 - 7' 6" grand like a C7X. They are nice instruments. I do prefer the C7X over the GX7. I'm just not a huge fan of the GX-series Kawai's. I liked the RX-series pianos a better.

Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: Fer15] #2946978 02/14/20 10:09 PM
johnstaf Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Fer15
Thanks Jethro
All that makes great sense, but how can I possibly know where is that point where having a bigger piano is not beneficial.
Carpet and acoustic panels could be enough in a 26 x 10 ft (3 x 8 mts) room to have 7-foot piano?
The formula that Hakki sugest could be enough to have green light to go for the biggest piano that your room perimeter allows?

It's not like you want to hammer the piano in a small room. The bigger piano is better, and you have a big room. BTW any sized room can be treated to accommodate any piano.

Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: johnstaf] #2947011 02/15/20 12:57 AM
F
Fer15 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks j&j: I think i’ll consider a bigger shigeru... but I see that between the cx and the gx at least here in the forum the cx is the favorite.

Dogperson, GC13: thanks for share your experience with your grands!!!

Johnstaff: thanks for your advice.

Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: Fer15] #2947016 02/15/20 01:22 AM
J
Jethro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Fer15
Thanks Jethro

Hi Fer15. Lots of good advice being given here. Here’s one of the better articles on matching piano to room. https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/how-to-make-a-piano-room-sound-grand/ You have the room size volume to handle a 7 foot grand. If it were me and if I were to put any grand in that room I would apply diffusion or absorption material on one of the walls that will be at minimal 5 feet from the piano. The room is a little narrow with 10 feet at its widest point. The bass will sound clear in a room for low frequencies to travel but the mid and higher frequencies may interfere with each other as they bounce off those walls at close proximity. So some notes may become emphasized and others dead as they cancel each other out. A poster here recently had a problems like that with a GX-2 in a narrow space. Angling the piano away from the longer wall helped but there apparently is still more work to be done. It’s all physics really.

Last edited by Jethro; 02/15/20 01:24 AM.

Working on:

Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: Fer15] #2947040 02/15/20 03:13 AM
M
MarianneØ Offline
M
First, and most importantly, I would never suggest that anyone spend $40K on any piano that they haven't played. There are just too many variations, even between individual pianos of the same model.

I owned a Kawai RX-2 for 20+ years and was pleased with it, but you will never get the control you need from the action for truly wide dynamic range, in the smaller sizes. I recently traded up to a new Kawai GX-6, and I love this piano! It's a little mellower than the RX, but its tone is lush and simply gorgeous. In spite of having more sound board than the RX-2, the more refined action lets me play much more softly, if I desire. It had its first tuning last week, and my piano tuner was completely enthralled with both its tone quality, and dynamic control. He tunes about 800-1000 different pianos, and said that out of that number, there are only a very few that he is impressed by, and my GX-6 is one of them. Now that's a nice compliment.

Here's an example, which I selected because the recording sounds very much like my GX-6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMrDmKdhQrQ

At the end of the video, you will find a few links to performances on the Yamaha C7X, recorded with the same equipment in the same room. That should give you a good comparison.

Hope you have a great time piano shopping! It's definitely worth your while to travel to the US if necessary to audition some pianos. I recommend that you go for the larger size. The SK-2 is certainly a fine piano, but the larger grands will give much better clarity, especially in the bass. My RX-2 struggled with some muddiness when playing compositions like the "Moonlight" first movement, but the GX-6 renders the bass quite distinctly.

First love: Kawai GX-6
Yamaha Motif XF8
Tektronix MSO4104
Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: Fer15] #2947242 02/15/20 01:20 PM
F
Fer15 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks Jethro... thats a very informative article. The article and your suggestions could be very helpful.

Marianneø: whithin my plans is to go to the United States to test them, but in the end the piano that I would buy will have to be completely new since there are not in exhibition here. But at least I will have an idea.
The videos are very good.
Thanks for share your experience with your piano.

Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: Fer15] #2947309 02/15/20 03:59 PM
J
joe80 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I'd try all three pianos, and I'd look at others in the price range, perhaps throw in Boston, Haessler, some other makes, and I'd make a decision based on the tone of the piano.

The larger piano *may* give you a more fulfilling musical experience, and the Yamaha C7 and Kawai GX7 are certainly both excellent pianos, but the Shigeru is a different quality of piano which is also a factor. It might be that you don't want a semi-concert sized instrument in your room and you might prefer to have a smaller, sweeter sounding piano. Nobody can make the decision for you.

There is a bit of an obsession on this forum with bigger equals better, and of course there is a lot of truth in that because the larger piano will often have a superior response and higher quality of tone particularly in the bass and tenor regions. But there's also the issue of just how much sound do you want, and how much physical space do you want to give the piano.

Personally I'd take a one of the Yamaha or Kawai 7'6 pianos over the Shigeru SK2. The larger Yamaha and Kawai pianos even from the mid-range instruments are more closely related to the concert grands and they respond very well to voicing.

Re: Getting a new grand! Gx7 vs skl2??? [Re: joe80] #2947342 02/15/20 05:01 PM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes, in fact we were asked to choose without playing each. You really have to try those pianos for yourself. So I’ll try to explain with pianos I’ve tried recently. I prefer a C7X to a C3X. Longer strings, bigger soundboard, longer keys. The choice between a C7X and a CF4 would be much harder. I’d have to back and forth for several weeks before writing the check. I’d have to play each multiple times. Even In the back of my mind I’d always be thinking about the piano I passed up.

Last edited by j&j; 02/15/20 05:03 PM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai GX6 BLK Opinions
by Jon Albert - 02/27/20 12:06 AM
Musescore on (any) Linux computer
by FrankCox - 02/26/20 11:06 PM
Wandering 5th Finger
by dobro - 02/26/20 08:57 PM
Assembly of digital pianos
by abcxyz - 02/26/20 07:11 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,204
Posts2,930,491
Members96,127
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission