2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
31 registered members (ChrisGoesPiano, AlphaBravoCharlie, CyberGene, Charades, Beowulf, Alex C, cmb13, Brometeo, dobro, dima5222, 6 invisible), 382 guests, and 495 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New piano choice...C1x [Re: Giko Gomez] #2946477 02/13/20 04:45 PM
H
Hakki Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
H
Now that makes things even more complicated.

I doubt OP would find a technician who is experienced in this patented technology.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: New piano choice...C1x [Re: MarkL] #2946482 02/13/20 04:55 PM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarkL
Originally Posted by Giko Gomez
Is possible that the difference of touch in k500 is simply that you play a different piano? Even acoustic, there are not all same, on sound and on touch...maybe the preparation... i say it because the latest silent systems use laser to recognize the note.

It is true all pianos are a bit different. If you read the link that Hakki posted above, it explains why the regulation is different on a piano with a silent system as opposed to without it. That difference will cause there to be a bit of difference in the touch. Whether the pianist cares about that difference is personal choice.

im thinking to proceed step by step... i suspend the gpiano, y buy a digital like kawai ca98, i wait 2 or 3 years and i see... i'm 56 yo and i dont want the piano when i will have a foot in the grave

The last thing I would want to do is contribute to your not buying an acoustic piano. Given your situation I would say buy something you like whether it is silent or not and enjoy it.

There are (IMHO) no any reason for buy an upright... the standard is the Gpiano, and uprights have the touch and the sound very far by Gpianos.

For the size grand piano you are looking at, I would not agree that uprights cannot match the sound. I thought the Kawai K500 had a better sound than the GL10 that I bought (which is 5'-0"). I only chose it because I prefer the touch of a grand. I would guess that Yamaha makes uprights that sound just as good if not better than the C1X. I would not dismiss an upright until you've tried it.

Here again there’s confusion about Yamaha series and Kawai series. Kawai’s GL series corresponds to the Yamaha GC1. Kawai GX series corresponds to the Yamaha CX series. Maybe a good to great upright compares well against a GL10, or a Yamaha GB1K or maybe a GC1 (which I myself would prefer even a GC1 to an upright) but when you’re talking about Yamaha CX series or Kawai’s GX series IMHO those are really nice grands.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: New piano choice...C1x [Re: Hakki] #2946519 02/13/20 06:09 PM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hakki
Now that makes things even more complicated.

I doubt OP would find a technician who is experienced in this patented technology.

Hakki,

Your comment makes no sense at all. Any technician can regulate, tune, and maintain this piano with no special training.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: New piano choice...C1x [Re: j&j] #2946545 02/13/20 07:49 PM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by j&j
Is possible that the difference of touch in k500 is simply that you play a different piano? Even acoustic, there are not all same, on sound and on touch...maybe the preparation... i say it because the latest silent systems use laser to recognize the note.

It is true all pianos are a bit different. If you read the link that Hakki posted above, it explains why the regulation is different on a piano with a silent system as opposed to without it. That difference will cause there to be a bit of difference in the touch. Whether the pianist cares about that difference is personal choice.

im thinking to proceed step by step... i suspend the gpiano, y buy a digital like kawai ca98, i wait 2 or 3 years and i see... i'm 56 yo and i dont want the piano when i will have a foot in the grave

The last thing I would want to do is contribute to your not buying an acoustic piano. Given your situation I would say buy something you like whether it is silent or not and enjoy it.

There are (IMHO) no any reason for buy an upright... the standard is the Gpiano, and uprights have the touch and the sound very far by Gpianos.

For the size grand piano you are looking at, I would not agree that uprights cannot match the sound. I thought the Kawai K500 had a better sound than the GL10 that I bought (which is 5'-0"). I only chose it because I prefer the touch of a grand. I would guess that Yamaha makes uprights that sound just as good if not better than the C1X. I would not dismiss an upright until you've tried it.

Here again there’s confusion about Yamaha series and Kawai series. Kawai’s GL series corresponds to the Yamaha GC1. Kawai GX series corresponds to the Yamaha CX series. Maybe a good to great upright compares well against a GL10, or a Yamaha GB1K or maybe a GC1 (which I myself would prefer even a GC1 to an upright) but when you’re talking about Yamaha CX series or Kawai’s GX series IMHO those are really nice grands.

A YUS5 may just sound better than a CX1 .Perhaps the bass sounds better ?These are Yamaha
but there is no law which says you may not compare different models and different brands surely ?
Marketing can only say so much but it is for an individual to judge !

Last edited by Lady Bird; 02/13/20 07:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
Re: New piano choice...C1x [Re: Lady Bird] #2946555 02/13/20 08:22 PM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Originally Posted by j&j

A YUS5 may just sound better than a CX1 .Perhaps the bass sounds better ?These are Yamaha
but there is no law which says you may not compare different models and different brands surely ?
Marketing can only say so much but it is for an individual to judge !

Some people may indeed find a nice upright can exceed a CX series grand. But equating a significantly lower priced Kawai and apply the same lack of color and bass sound from a GL10 to a C1X is inaccurate. If you want an accurate comparison, then try a YUS5 upright to a real C1X rather than assume the C1X is interchangeable with a GL10. Just saying.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
Re: New piano choice...C1x [Re: Giko Gomez] #2946608 02/13/20 11:45 PM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Oh OK J&J yes of course you are correct.The GL10 is a fairly soft grand as well.So not comparable to the CX.The bigger GL5'8 or 5'11 may be a better comparison to that series.
I am just thinking of a piano student who though could have chosen a CX1 decided on the GL10.
This piano does have a very nice mellow tone.(but smaller in tone than a CX1)
She really loves her piano but she does not like playing "BiG" sounding pieces anyway.

Re: New piano choice...C1x [Re: Giko Gomez] #2946627 02/14/20 02:14 AM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
That CX1 does look like a really nice instrument.I know nothing about the silent CX1 or any silent mode piano.They must be successful if they are still being sold .For some people they may be
a good alternative to having a digital.
In Europe apparently they are quite popular in apartment buildings.

Re: New piano choice...C1x [Re: Giko Gomez] #2946636 02/14/20 02:54 AM
H
Hakki Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
H
Giko Gomez:

I just watched some of your videos, and now I think, for your style, a grand with a silent system, like the C1X SH2 might be the right choice.

Re: New piano choice...C1x [Re: Hakki] #2946643 02/14/20 03:23 AM
G
Giko Gomez Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Giko Gomez:

I just watched some of your videos, and now I think, for your style, a grand with a silent system, like the C1X SH2 might be the right choice.

Thanks very much! If a grand is the best choice maybe means im not too bad as pianist, thanks!

My music is on youtube or SoundCloud, name Giko Gomez
Re: New piano choice...C1x [Re: Giko Gomez] #2946644 02/14/20 03:40 AM
G
Giko Gomez Offline OP
OP Offline
G
then I would not like to quote all of them, I try to remember the various indications that I have received.

first, FA08 is not comparable to a DP. It is undoubtedly an excellent keyboard, especially for its cost and for weighing 14kg, but it is not the same as a DP. If I play really fast, Fa08 responds slowly.

Now, some math.
In a large upright, 131cm, the bass strings are slanted, let's say 30 degrees compared to 90.
Bass strings in a 130cm upright, become 146cm long ok?
Very well. How long is the action of a grand? we put 40cm?
Since in a grand the bass strings are vertical compared to the keyboard, this means that 40 + 146 = the grand is 186cm long.

Well you are saying that a 131cm upright is equivalent to a C3 / C3x.
So it's better than a c1x, and it's much better than a GL10 ...
There is something wrong...

EDIT
ok, ok the strings starts before of the end of action,ok but is matter of CM. Then we all are saying thant a tall upright is comparable to a C2x and even in this case.... there is something wrong.

Last edited by Giko Gomez; 02/14/20 03:46 AM.

Re: New piano choice...C1x [Re: Giko Gomez] #2946727 02/14/20 09:26 AM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Just so my ramblings don’t get confusing, tall well made uprights can and do compete nicely with smaller grands. It all depends on what the artist prefers in sound and touch. Quality uprights are a fabulous choice for musicians who have limited floorspace or really just prefer an upright.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
Re: New piano choice...C1x [Re: Giko Gomez] #2946839 02/14/20 01:22 PM
G
Giko Gomez Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I'm not against the uprights, in fact I really liked the K500 and the YUS5.
However, I can understand that they compete against Gl10, GB1, but already starting from 160 cm things change ... in my opinion.
One thing is certain, the brand must also be analyzed, in fact I believe that they are superior to many poor quality medium grands.
If, however, we remain within the same brand, I think that only the cheapest grand can lose the comparison, but already starting from the CX, GX things change even if they are small.

Re: New piano choice...C1x [Re: Giko Gomez] #2946918 02/14/20 06:28 PM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Giko Gomez:

Thanks very much! If a grand is the best choice maybe means im not too bad as pianist, thanks!

The choice of a grand does not automatically signal that you are an excellent pianist !
People choose uprights or grands at different times in thier lives., just the same as with the choice
of a silent piano does not mean you play so badly that only you should listen to yourself play.
The choice of grand or upright is a personal choice.So please try these and choose.....
And best wishes on your choice.No one is going to think less of your playing for choosing an
upright either.

Re: New piano choice...C1x [Re: Giko Gomez] #2948816 02/19/20 01:34 AM
G
Giko Gomez Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hi all
I forgot to ask: how is the key noise in silent pianos? I tried the Yus5 and the K500, i can say that the Yus was very loud and the K500 very silent.

Many people try the sound of the silent module and forget to listen the key noise.

Re: New piano choice...C1x [Re: Giko Gomez] #2948822 02/19/20 01:54 AM
G
Giko Gomez Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I forgot to say that when i tried the 2 upright, i didn't know that I can free more space in room, and now im asking about silent grands

Re: New piano choice...C1x [Re: Giko Gomez] #2948920 02/19/20 08:23 AM
E
etherline Offline
E
I tried a C1X during my search and was very pleasantly surprised. It had a warmth and depth to it that I did not expect. Someone had voiced it well.

I did not find Yamahas in general to be consistent, however. Well, maybe consistently bland. C3X was nice but not as nice as that one C1X. S5X was a bit meh for the price.

I ended up choosing a Steinway after playing a B and a few O s which were astonishingly consistent. Still, I would have enjoyed the C1X. It was a good piano. But to me that voicing was atypical. It was capable of a sweetness when played lightly that none of the others I tried could deliver.

Re: New piano choice...C1x [Re: Giko Gomez] #2948938 02/19/20 09:09 AM
G
Giko Gomez Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks for your feedback.
Me too, i found a C3x that i didn't like at all, and other C3x in other shop that sound wonderful...
Of course with the same preparation C3x is better than C1x but i think that this last can sing good in my little room.

Now I focus on key noise when silenced, because in the same room my sheep (my wife laugh ) watches tv and even if she sopports all, i dont want cause too much disturb.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai GX6 BLK Opinions
by Jon Albert - 02/27/20 12:06 AM
Musescore on (any) Linux computer
by FrankCox - 02/26/20 11:06 PM
Wandering 5th Finger
by dobro - 02/26/20 08:57 PM
Assembly of digital pianos
by abcxyz - 02/26/20 07:11 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,204
Posts2,930,491
Members96,127
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission