2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
39 registered members (David B, BachToTheFuture, AlphaBravoCharlie, Beemer, cmb13, boe2, Andymania, akc42, 9 invisible), 218 guests, and 444 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Lortie and Williams - A double dose of Beethoven sonatas #2946674 02/14/20 06:30 AM
H
Hank M Offline OP
OP Offline
H
This was not the way I planned it. In purchasing tickets for the following season, I always attempt to put some space between concerts—never two on successive nights and certainly not the same composer on two successive nights. Well, that was the plan.

This season, the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society decided to honor Beethoven’s 250th Birthday with recitals of all 32 of his piano sonatas (as well as all of his string quartets), but performed by different pianists. The series was supposed to start with a February 4th recital by the eminent Austrian pianist Rudolf Buchbinder, and then continue with a February 12th recital by the celebrated young pianist from Argentina, Ingrid Fliter. I had tickets for both. However, both were forced to cancel: Fliter was barred from travelling during her pregnancy, while Buchbinder cancelled his North American tour for health reasons. The Welsh Llyr Williams was booked in Fliter’s place, playing the same program on the same date. When Buchbinder cancelled (on shorter notice), the Society was able to arrange for the French Canadian Louis Lortie to perform in his place, also playing the same program. However, to accommodate his schedule, Lortie’s recital was moved to February 11th.

Although I had the option of switching to different concerts, I’m glad I stayed with these programs. Two successive nights of almost any other composer would be a recipe for sameness, but that’s not the case given the incredible variety of Beethoven’s output in this genre.

This was Louis Lortie’s program on Tuesday evening, February 11:

Beethoven: Sonata in C Major, Op. 2, No. 3
Beethoven: Sonata in C Minor, Op. 13, Pathétique
Beethoven: Sonata in F Major, Op. 10, No. 2
Beethoven: Sonata in F Minor, Op. 57, Appassionata

It is often noted that Beethoven’s early compositions reflect the influence of Haydn (his teacher) and Mozart. But despite its early opus number, the C Major Sonata is no mere derivative work. Rather, based on its length, complexity and originality, it stands on its own as a landmark in the piano repertoire. The F Major Sonata may be the least famous of the evening’s foursome, but it has much to recommend it. The final movement’s Presto, a contrapuntal romp, is especially appealing. And what else can I say about the Pathétique and Appassionata? These works are sources of wonderment and awe every time I hear them in recital.

Over the years, I’ve been fortunate to hear some great Beethoven players in recital, such as Andras Schiff and Anton Kuerti. After hearing him in this recital, I’d have to place Louis Lortie in the same rank. And based on the enthusiastic ovation each piece received from this knowledgeable audience, it was clear that I was not alone in my assessment of his playing.

One distinction from other recitals in this series: Instead of a Steinway, Lortie chose to play a Bösendorfer piano. Compared to the Steinway, the Bösendorfer seems to have a richer, more mellow bass, while the treble is just a little less brilliant.

Lortie played one encore, perhaps intended as a preview of the following evening’s program—the final movement of Beethoven’s first sonata, Op. 2, No. 1.
The next night, the recital by Llyr Williams was more uneven. He presented five sonatas:

Beethoven: Sonata in F Minor, Op. 2, No. 1
Beethoven: Sonata in G Major, Op. 49, No. 2
Beethoven: Sonata in D Major, Op. 10, No. 3
Beethoven: Sonata in D Minor, Op. 31, No. 2, Tempest
Beethoven: Sonata in E-flat Major, Op. 31, No. 3

In four of the five sonatas, Williams’ lack of rhythmic consistency lessened some of the enjoyment of the fast movements in these works. Of course, a degree of rhythmic flexibility is appropriate in all of these sonatas, but it needs to be subtle to preserve the momentum that characterizes these works. However, there didn’t seem to be any rationale as to why Williams increased his speed in many passages in the opening movements of the first four sonatas. Sometimes, it seemed that he sped up just to show that he could do so while playing all the notes. I know that sounds harsh, but that was my impression.

The slow movements fared better. The gorgeous second movement of the D Major Sonata was particularly expressive and moving.

I paid particularly close attention to the Tempest, since that was a piece I studied and performed in my early years. Here, the slow movement was played at too slow a pace to maintain that gentle forward momentum that the music demands. Williams did maintain the flowing pace of the “galloping horse” third movement, but it could have used a bit more drama.

Finally, in the last sonata on the program, Williams seemed to have found his inner metronome, as well as his interpretive coherence. This E-Flat Major Sonata is not as famous as the “name” sonatas, but it deserves a place of honor among the set of 32. It also deserves a great performance and, this time, Williams delivered.

Although I don’t follow the crowd, I couldn’t help but notice that the PCMS audience seemed to agree with me in its appraisal of Williams. The applause that followed the first four sonatas was rather tepid and respectful. But Williams’ superb performance of the Op. 31, No. 3 Sonata evoked a tremendous reception from the audience and brought Williams out to perform an unusual encore. He announced that we had probably heard enough Beethoven, so he offered a well-crafted performance of Ravel’s La Vallée des Cloches (“The Valley of the Bells”).

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Lortie and Williams - A double dose of Beethoven sonatas [Re: Hank M] #2946916 02/14/20 06:20 PM
Music Me Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I attended the first concert. I was so looking forward to hearing Rudolf Buchbinder but I enjoyed Louis Lortie. Next week-Jonathan Biss.

Barbara
...without music, no life...

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Binaural sound
by Pathetique1 - 02/27/20 03:42 AM
Kawai GX6 BLK Opinions
by Jon Albert - 02/27/20 12:06 AM
Musescore on (any) Linux computer
by FrankCox - 02/26/20 11:06 PM
Wandering 5th Finger
by dobro - 02/26/20 08:57 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,204
Posts2,930,498
Members96,127
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission