2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
65 members (1957, Beowulf, 8ude, Burkey, Adem, clothearednincompo, anotherscott, Cleverson, 13 invisible), 466 guests, and 392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World....
Tyrone Slothrop #2854353 05/31/19 06:33 PM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by LarryK
Does Techno ever go quiet?

I sometimes think subwoofers were first invented for Techno. In fact, can it be called "Techno" if you can't feel it in your gut? Sorry, my ears are not in my abdomen...

Originally Posted by U3piano
So if i understand this correctly.. your wife dragged you to techno nightclubs, and after that, she gave up and started listening different music.

Since i like to always be positive whenever possible, i will just say, well done! grin

Yes! She says she "outgrew it" but I'd like to attribute it to my "moderating" influence thumb grin I'm just glad I don't have to listen to music with my abdomen any more! laugh

I don’t mind bass, but unrelenting bass at high volumes, without crisp articulation, is not for me, unless I just block my ears with big foam earplugs. It’s worth plugging my ears to not go deaf. I have Etymotic 15dB cut plugs that I use for all amplified concerts. Well worth $25.

It is the largest organs in your body that absorb the bass energy. The military has figured out how to pulverize those organs with low frequency sound. Isn’t that nice?

Have you ever been in a dormitory at a school for the deaf? I knew someone who lived in one, and she was a hearing person. She said that it’s about the loudest place you can imagine, with everybody trying to listen with their largest organs.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
D7K #2859078 06/16/19 08:47 AM
M
M
To stop wasting money and time on useless group music classes at a music school and instead seek a quality piano teacher. I couldn’t believe how much had been wasted.

D7K #2933837 01/14/20 06:16 PM
D
D

The best thing I´ve learnt in music was to play by ear, to understand how music is made, chord progressions, to improvise, to make arrangements, to modify, to create real music whenever I wish, not only to repeat the frozen music from a paper.

I don´t want to learn how to play a music. I´m developing a way to play them all.
dihelson #2933842 01/14/20 06:26 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dihelson

The best thing I´ve learnt in music was to play by ear, to understand how music is made, chord progressions, to improvise, to make arrangements, to modify, to create real music whenever I wish, not only to repeat the frozen music from a paper.

Welcome to PW, dihelson!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2933862 01/14/20 06:52 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by dihelson

Welcome to PW, dihelson!

Thank you very much, Tyrone Slothrop. It´s a real great pleasure to be here among all these fellow musicians and people who loves music and piano. It´s incredible that I discovered it 6 years ago, but only now I had the opportunity to engage. So many good articles, so many ideas here. It´s all about what we love ! Thanks !

I don´t want to learn how to play a music. I´m developing a way to play them all.
D7K #2939329 01/27/20 04:12 PM
O
O
The #1 thing... well it's probably a culmination of things. Get a teacher (and the RIGHT teacher, one you actually not just like, but jive with) who will hit you with some reality. I've gotten several nuggets from mine, from "that's the wrong fingering for that" to "here's my log, you aren't necessarily progressing slowly, here is a piece that took me five years to learn."

But again, a teacher you actually click with is beneficial. He's a former marine, I'm a former sailor, so we can compare things to military life. When I saw him last week, I asked why I'm stuck on this and that and he said "when all you shoot at are paper targets, you get really good at shooting paper targets," basically saying "to get un-stuck, you have to practice in a different way." I understood what he meant and he gave me different hings to try. He could've given me different things to try anyway, but without that example, something I've actually experienced in real life, I'm not sure it would have stuck as well.

I suppose that's it.

TL;DR:
Get a teacher you click with who will keep your feet on the ground and tell you what you need to hear to keep you moving forward. I do use Piano Marvel and love it (especially its random sight reading feature) and the combination of that plus him has kept excited and interested.

Roland FP30
Roland Fantom X7
D7K #2943587 02/06/20 04:04 PM
Adding the minor scales to my warmup exercises.

I got an epiphany today when practicing the Natural Minor Scale. I had been struggling with the fingering and playing at a consistent tempo. Today everything came together once I could easily identify its relative key.

Looking forward to completing the remainder of the Circle of 5ths with their natural minor scale!

Dona Nobis Pacem
Yamaha DGX 660 (portable 88)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D7K #2946226 02/13/20 05:11 AM
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Be musical.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Your Sight Reading Trials!
by peterws - 10/28/20 10:17 AM
Kawai Novus NV10 vs. Yamaha Avantgrand
by pianoloverus - 10/28/20 10:12 AM
Roland FRP-1 at Costco
by Pikka - 10/28/20 08:38 AM
Good 1 year piece to shoot for?
by Javaslinger - 10/27/20 09:10 PM
The Bluthner Concert and Exhibition Hall 1887
by David-G - 10/27/20 07:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,450
Posts3,017,952
Members99,057
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission