2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, 15 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JJHLH Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I just wanted to let those who may be not be aware that the forScore app has a built in page turner which uses facial recognition technology. There are two modes: head turn or mouth movement. I prefer the latter.

This feature requires a Pro subscription which costs $10/year. It only works on newer iPads which use facial recognition to unlock the screen (those that don’t have a home button).

You can calibrate the feature and adjust the sensitivity. To access the menu open the Settings tab and then the forScore Pro tab.

I can recommend this enough. It is very simple to use and with a little practice it works flawlessly.

[Linked Image]

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I saw your post in the BT page turnersl thread but didn't have a chance to respond because I was backlogged, but this ISS a really cool idea, and I assume it's using a combination of the front camera and the face ID camera (since it only works on newer iPads).

One question I had was whether there is an appreciate hit to the battery life when using this feature?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
J
JJHLH Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Gombessa
One question I had was whether there is an appreciate hit to the battery life when using this feature?

That is good question and I don’t know the answer. I haven’t noticed a large battery drain but I haven’t made a comparison between having this feature turned on vs off.

Another feature of the forScore app that users may not be aware of is that you can import audio files and link them to your scores. Being able to listen to the music and see the score at the same time is a useful learning tool, particularly for beginners like me.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
J
Online Embarrased
J
Originally Posted by JJHLH
Another feature of the forScore app that users may not be aware of is that you can import audio files and link them to your scores. Being able to listen to the music and see the score at the same time is a useful learning tool, particularly for beginners like me.

Interesting! Does this also require the Pro subscription? I've never looked at what features that includes. My iPad is a few years old so I won't be able to try the page turning feature. I have been considering getting one of the bluetooth page turners, but haven't done any research yet.

J
JJHLH Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by JB_PW

Interesting! Does this also require the Pro subscription? I've never looked at what features that includes. My iPad is a few years old so I won't be able to try the page turning feature. I have been considering getting one of the bluetooth page turners, but haven't done any research yet.

I think the ability to import audio files is included with the standard version. It looks like the Pro subscription includes facial gestures, more stamps, and improved menus and support.

https://forscore.co/pro/

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
The subscription is needed because forScore stores your face or mouth gestures in the Cloud, which has ongoing costs. 🙄

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

You can go further and program the automatic page turning according to the playing audio file.

https://forscore.co/kb/autoturn-replay/

J
JJHLH Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by 9190

You can go further and program the automatic page turning according to the playing audio file.

https://forscore.co/kb/autoturn-replay/

I’m not sure I see the value in that. At the very least it requires setup to work, which requires a little time and effort. And what happens if the player changes the tempo slightly?

That’s the beauty of facial recognition - it’s so simple.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
And what happens if the player changes the tempo slightly? That’s the beauty of facial recognition - it’s so simple.

My answer was to continue this:

So as to be better understood I can continue your quote:
"Being able to listen to the music and see the score at the same time, and pages will be turned automatically".
That's what I meant. Automatically turn pages when listening to music which attached to this sheet music.

And again I can continue your quote:
"[…] is a useful learning tool, particularly for beginners, who is not always able to keep track of notes. Automatic page turning can help with this".

As for the facial recognition, I am not impressed with this feature for any serious work. Playing in public, performer will look like a clown or a sick person, constantly opening mouth, or waving his head. And even if I were alone with myself, I would definitely choose a pedal.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
There are many iOS apps on the Apple App Store that use the microphone which will automatically turn pages without human intervention.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
J
JJHLH Offline OP
OP Offline
J

"Being able to listen to the music and see the score at the same time, and pages will be turned automatically".
That's what I meant. Automatically turn pages when listening to music which attached to this sheet music.

As for the facial recognition, I am not impressed with this feature for any serious work. Playing in public, performer will look like a clown or a sick person, constantly opening mouth, or waving his head. And even if I were alone with myself, I would definitely choose a pedal.

Ah, gotcha. I guess having the app turn the page automatically with the music might be nice, particularly for a beginner like me who may not always be able to follow along with the score. That could help to get reoriented. I misunderstood and thought it was for turning the page while playing.

The facial recognition doesn’t require the user to open their mouth. Just to turn it slightly to one side or the other. Nobody would ever know you were doing it if playing in public. You can make it super sensitive by adjusting the slider if you want to.

I just wanted people to be aware that this option exists if they would like to test it for themselves.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The facial recognition doesn’t require the user to open their mouth. Just to turn it slightly to one side or the other.

Yes, I just remembered that when I first read about Pro version, it was said there: "moving your lips to the left or right".
Originally Posted by forScore
Face Gestures:
If your device features Apple’s TrueDepth camera system, you can use facial gestures to turn pages – either by turning your head or by moving your lips to the left or right. Choose whichever mode works best for you, and adjust their sensitivity in the forScore Pro section of forScore's settings panel, if needed. For best results, ensure that there's sufficient lighting and, if using mouth movements, take advantage of the automatic calibration method for easy setup.

Personally, I would only need an extended set of Stamps from the Pro version. But I made all the necessary additional Stamps myself and imported them into a common base set. I'm not sure that these stamps are included in the extended set of the Pro version.

And what I really don't like is that forScore developers stopped responding to letters from users who don't have a Pro subscription, even if users don't ask for help in the letter, but report bugs in the application.

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
So what happens when you sneeze?
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Beemer
So what happens when you sneeze?

Your loose score sheets get blown off the music rest, why?

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
And what I really don't like is that forScore developers stopped responding to letters from users who don't have a Pro subscription, even if users don't ask for help in the letter, but report bugs in the application.

If true, that’s very disappointing. forScore’s customer support was a very strong feature when I first purchased the app in late 2015.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
They mentioned this indirectly in this article.
Originally Posted by forScore
For those people, we’re excited to announce forScore Pro: an optional, annual subscription that gives you prioritized support whenever possible

Previously, developers almost always responded to my Emails. We had a good and fruitful correspondence to improve the app. Not anymore.

Yes, I still sometimes report bugs found, suggestions for improving the app. But all this without feedback. As a minimum of respect, they could at least confirm the receipt of the letter.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If this were a product selling in the millions I'd not expect a personal reply. But this is not likely a "best-seller" software so the maker ought to show some consideration for its customers.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Yes, I still sometimes report bugs found, suggestions for improving the app. But all this without feedback. As a minimum of respect, they could at least confirm the receipt of the letter.

I have a pro subscription. If anyone wants a bug fixed on a prioritized service, you and PM it to me and I can submit it for "prioritized service", whatever that means.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thank you Tyrone Slothrop, I'll take note.

J
JJHLH Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
If this were a product selling in the millions I'd not expect a personal reply. But this is not likely a "best-seller" software so the maker ought to show some consideration for its customers.

forScore is ranked as the #1 music app on the App Store so it must sell well, but I agree they should always be considerate to their customers and respond to inquiries.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission