2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
26 registered members (David B, DionG, Chouca, Clockworkangel, BeeZee4, Einaudio, Charles Cohen, 8 invisible), 261 guests, and 395 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AG only emits hammer velocity with VST? #2944534 02/09/20 03:43 AM
H
Harpuia Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I noticed some different behaviors when playing the N3X with the onboard sound and VSTs.

For example, try pressing the key as light as I can to the let off point. There is no sound for onboarding voice, but a very low velocity for VST.

The other difference is after I reach the let off point and use a very strong force, the onboard voice will have a sound while VST does not.

I heard that Yamaha has both key and hammer sensor on AGs. While I guess if playing AG with VST only hammer velocity is considered. Not sure if it is the case.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: AG only emits hammer velocity with VST? [Re: Harpuia] #2944544 02/09/20 04:36 AM
CyberGene Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The key position in the AvantGrand pianos is sent separately as ActiveSense messages (speaking off the top of my head, might not be remembering well the actual message name). It’s the software that needs to recognize these messages.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: AG only emits hammer velocity with VST? [Re: CyberGene] #2944558 02/09/20 06:06 AM
JoBert Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
The key position in the AvantGrand pianos is sent separately as ActiveSense messages (speaking off the top of my head, might not be remembering well the actual message name). It’s the software that needs to recognize these messages.

I'm also not sure, but I think I remember that you wrote (back then, when you analyzed this), that After Touch messages are used.

Re: AG only emits hammer velocity with VST? [Re: JoBert] #2944586 02/09/20 08:23 AM
CyberGene Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoBert

I'm also not sure, but I think I remember that you wrote (back then, when you analyzed this), that After Touch messages are used.

Hmm, well, maybe it was after touch indeed. I’ll recheck again.

Re: AG only emits hammer velocity with VST? [Re: Harpuia] #2944592 02/09/20 08:58 AM
CyberGene Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
OK, I did some tests and there are some interesting analysis.

First, I have correctly remembered ActiveSense but that’s just a non-stop chatter that’s being sent by the AG for no apparent reason. Maybe something like a heartbeat. It doesn’t contain a value, it’s just a message that’s been sent exactly 5 times a second, each 200ms.

Indeed the key position is sent as polyphonic aftertouch but only on release. I can start pressing the key very slowly and it won’t send anything, only a note on with value 1 (if silent). Only when you start releasing the key it will start sending polyphonic aftertouch with all the values between 31 and 21 after which it will send a note off with a fixed value of 64. The aftertouch values are not sent through the entire key travel but in a small region probably within 1-2mm around the middle, i.e. around damper off. So, it can send 11 distinct positions and then a key off. But unfortunately it doesn’t send them when pressing the key, so what Gombessa suggested for triggering resonances in external software might not be possible.

On the other hand the note on (1) is sent exactly at escapement when it’s a slow key press. Once note on (1) is sent, it’s not possible to throw the key to generate a sound. So, this is in answer to another thread of playing above escapement: once you touch the escapement bump and then a tiny bit further, a note on 1 is sent and no velocity can be detected from there on. On a real piano it would still be possible to generate a faint sound.

Last edited by CyberGene; 02/09/20 09:05 AM.

Re: AG only emits hammer velocity with VST? [Re: Harpuia] #2944608 02/09/20 09:49 AM
P
Pete14 Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I take it that the key-sensors in the AvantGrand are basically there for triggering ‘release samples’? If this is the case, how are release samples triggered on a Clavinova that uses three rubber sensors per key? Is the third sensor triggering the release samples on a Clavinova?
Is the AvantGrand system more accurate/better at this?

Re: AG only emits hammer velocity with VST? [Re: Harpuia] #2944617 02/09/20 10:28 AM
CyberGene Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
According to the Yamaha patent, the key sensors (gradient grey shutters) are used together with the hammer sensors in a very complicated logic with final value determined from one or the other (or maybe averaged?) depending on different conditions. And of course the key sensor values are used for key off modeling with something like half-dampening on a per key basis (unlike half-pedal).

On a Clavinova, or any other 2 or 3-sensor action, a simple key off velocity is calculated from the duration the hammer takes to deactivate/unclick the switches on its way back.

Last edited by CyberGene; 02/09/20 10:30 AM.

Re: AG only emits hammer velocity with VST? [Re: Harpuia] #2944618 02/09/20 10:30 AM
MacMacMac Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Which VST software responds to after touch MIDI messages?

Re: AG only emits hammer velocity with VST? [Re: MacMacMac] #2944619 02/09/20 10:32 AM
CyberGene Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Which VST software responds to after touch MIDI messages?

None currently. Those are used by AG to replay its own MIDI files. But an advanced software such as Pianoteq will benefit from taking advantage of these messages.

Last edited by CyberGene; 02/09/20 10:33 AM.

Re: AG only emits hammer velocity with VST? [Re: Harpuia] #2944621 02/09/20 10:45 AM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Harpuia
I noticed some different behaviors when playing the N3X with the onboard sound and VSTs.

For example, try pressing the key as light as I can to the let off point. There is no sound for onboarding voice, but a very low velocity for VST.

The other difference is after I reach the let off point and use a very strong force, the onboard voice will have a sound while VST does not.

I heard that Yamaha has both key and hammer sensor on AGs. While I guess if playing AG with VST only hammer velocity is considered. Not sure if it is the case.

On the N2, I see After Touch messages in Pianoteq. No sound is heard from the piano and Pianoteq doesn't produce a sound. More often than not I only see NoteOn and NoteOff events. Every now and then I'll see the AfterTouch messages, mainly when trying to play slowly or softly.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube
[Linked Image]
Re: AG only emits hammer velocity with VST? [Re: Harpuia] #2944622 02/09/20 10:46 AM
MacMacMac Offline
This appears to be a solution in search of a problem. wink

Re: AG only emits hammer velocity with VST? [Re: CyberGene] #2944665 02/09/20 12:40 PM
Frédéric L Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

None currently. Those are used by AG to replay its own MIDI files. But an advanced software such as Pianoteq will benefit from taking advantage of these messages.

The use of “aftertouch” messages of the N1 is not standard. An after touch message is usually sent when the key is at the bottom depending of the weight of the hand on it, not to describe the travel of the key. Then a software should have been adapted especially for the N1 to interpret them as we want.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 02/09/20 12:41 PM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Re: AG only emits hammer velocity with VST? [Re: Frédéric L] #2945016 02/10/20 05:20 AM
J
johanibraaten Offline
J

First, I have correctly remembered ActiveSense but that’s just a non-stop chatter that’s being sent by the AG for no apparent reason. Maybe something like a heartbeat. It doesn’t contain a value, it’s just a message that’s been sent exactly 5 times a second, each 200ms.

Indeed the key position is sent as polyphonic aftertouch but only on release. I can start pressing the key very slowly and it won’t send anything, only a note on with value 1 (if silent). Only when you start releasing the key it will start sending polyphonic aftertouch with all the values between 31 and 21 after which it will send a note off with a fixed value of 64. The aftertouch values are not sent through the entire key travel but in a small region probably within 1-2mm around the middle, i.e. around damper off. So, it can send 11 distinct positions and then a key off. But unfortunately it doesn’t send them when pressing the key, so what Gombessa suggested for triggering resonances in external software might not be possible.

On the other hand the note on (1) is sent exactly at escapement when it’s a slow key press. Once note on (1) is sent, it’s not possible to throw the key to generate a sound. So, this is in answer to another thread of playing above escapement: once you touch the escapement bump and then a tiny bit further, a note on 1 is sent and no velocity can be detected from there on. On a real piano it would still be possible to generate a faint sound.

It seems like the new generation of avantgrands have an updated MIDI implementation. The N1 send aftertouch data for three different key positions (24, 22, 20) and if one repress the key without fully releasing it, it sends aftertouch 32 which seems to mean that the note shall sustain fully from the remaining velocity. The N1 also sends aftertouch 127 for silent keypress instead of velocity 1 that seems to be standard.

Originally Posted by Frédéric L

The use of “aftertouch” messages of the N1 is not standard. An after touch message is usually sent when the key is at the bottom depending of the weight of the hand on it, not to describe the travel of the key. Then a software should have been adapted especially for the N1 to interpret them as we want.

You can re-map these messages with the built in midi mapping function in Pianoteq. As far as I'm aware there are no standard midi messages for key positioning since avantgrands seems to be the only keyboards on the market that have that function (I don't know about silent/trans acoustic pianos or lachnit who also uses optical sensors). I think it's clever to use aftertouch data for this since there is no obvious use for traditional aftertouch functions with piano sounds.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
Re: AG only emits hammer velocity with VST? [Re: CyberGene] #2945184 02/10/20 03:11 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
So, it can send 11 distinct positions and then a key off. But unfortunately it doesn’t send them when pressing the key, so what Gombessa suggested for triggering resonances in external software might not be possible.

Aw, bummer. I could swear that's how NU1 worked (aftertouch being sent on the downward stroke, activating damper-off resonance for the key), now I'll have to test it again smile

I honestly don't know why manufacturers don't do it this way, it would work fine on any DP, 2-sensor, 3-sensor or hybrid. On a regular DP action, the top-most sensor already serves as the damper-release on the way up, why not on the way down as well (which would be like a real acoustic piano)? The only thing I can think of is that it doesn't easily map to the MIDI note-on/note-off paradigm, since you would likely need to trigger an extra, silent note-on in order to enable that key's resonance. But internal sound engines don't need to adhere to MIDI paradigms....which is one of the reasons why I think there's a tighter MIDI/internal sound engine connection than we're led to believe....

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: AG only emits hammer velocity with VST? [Re: CyberGene] #2945232 02/10/20 05:22 PM
H
Harpuia Offline OP
OP Offline
H

This makes sense and explain why I heard a very quiet voice when I reach the escapement point. Somehow Yamaha generates a midi on value 1 and the VST interprets it as a very quiet note. And this midi value 1 may be generated based on some complex logic from the key sensor and the hammer sensor. I'm curious about how did you guys listen to the MIDI messages sent by the piano? What software do you use? Is it Pianoteq or some DAWs?

Re: AG only emits hammer velocity with VST? [Re: Harpuia] #2945242 02/10/20 05:38 PM
CyberGene Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I think the MIDI value of 1 has much more trivial meaning: play a silent note, e.g. press the keys without sound but lift dampers so that resonances for that note are triggered. This has become a standard and many VST-s work that way. Garritan CFX and Pianoteq for sure. What’s your VST? Seems like it generates sound even for MIDI value of 1.

Re: AG only emits hammer velocity with VST? [Re: CyberGene] #2945260 02/10/20 06:13 PM
H
Harpuia Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I think the MIDI value of 1 has much more trivial meaning: play a silent note, e.g. press the keys without sound but lift dampers so that resonances for that note are triggered. This has become a standard and many VST-s work that way. Garritan CFX and Pianoteq for sure. What’s your VST? Seems like it generates sound even for MIDI value of 1.

I’m using VSL D-274. However, I’m not able to see the actual midi value from the Synchron Piano plugin.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
using CA for fix cracking jack
by Maximillyan - 04/06/20 01:03 AM
How to practice away from a piano?
by gtdpiano - 04/05/20 10:39 PM
What is the fate motif in Beethoven Sonatas? ?
by pianoloverus - 04/05/20 07:29 PM
Bach Inventions
by Moo :) - 04/05/20 06:26 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,943
Posts2,942,370
Members96,495
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission