2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 41 of 45 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 44 45
F
F
The main thing that puts me off these is the feel of the keys, as if my fingers are touching a rough, sanded surface. For me, this is ivory feel gone way too far.

Originally Posted by Fleer
The main thing that puts me off these is the feel of the keys, as if my fingers are touching a rough, sanded surface. For me, this is ivory feel gone way too far.

I may be imagining things, but I feel that people always have something at the ready to complain about as far as Casio is concerned... First it was the short pivot point, but now that James has more or less confirmed the action is more than fine for advanced classical pieces, people will now have to start looking for something else to complain about.
I know, I know, I'm probably exagerating, but on the other hand, this 'criticism' about the finish of the keys is the first of its kind I've heard...

But let's just wait for the actual review of this, and see if the PX-S series really live up to James' initial impressions and expectations.

Last edited by ChrisGoesPiano; 02/09/20 04:06 PM.

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...
Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...
Kawai CA58, Korg Liano, Arturia Minilab 3, Arturia Minilab MkII, Arturia Minifreak
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I ownEd the PX-S1000 for about two month after upgrading from a Roland go:piano61. The Casio was at firs very nice for me as a first piano with weighted keys and as a beginner but gradually as as started to learn some more advanced (still easy songs) I noticed that it became very hard since the action is very heavy and extremely so when playing between the black keys. I now have the Yamaha P-515 that has a much nicer action than and is more even and feels lighter all around.

So as a beginner I would not pick the Casio because is the heavy action. But it was very compact that really comes in handy if space is and issue or if you need to carry it around a lot.

Originally Posted by Boboulus
I ownEd the PX-S1000 for about two month after upgrading from a Roland go:piano61. The Casio was at firs very nice for me as a first piano with weighted keys and as a beginner but gradually as as started to learn some more advanced (still easy songs) I noticed that it became very hard since the action is very heavy and extremely so when playing between the black keys. I now have the Yamaha P-515 that has a much nicer action than and is more even and feels lighter all around.

So as a beginner I would not pick the Casio because is the heavy action. But it was very compact that really comes in handy if space is and issue or if you need to carry it around a lot.

The PX-S1000 is in a completely different price range than the P515, so no comparison...

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...
Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...
Kawai CA58, Korg Liano, Arturia Minilab 3, Arturia Minilab MkII, Arturia Minifreak
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by ChrisGoesPiano
[...] people always have something at the ready to complain about as far as Casio is concerned...

Well, have they said anything that's untrue?

First it was the short pivot point [...]

...which is a measurable fact.

James has more or less confirmed the action is more than fine for advanced classical pieces [...]

...or at least for Moonlight Sonata 3rd movement that's just fast loud banging on the keys at least in the part he played.

I know, I know, I'm probably exagerating

Maybe. And I'd hate to see this forum being turned into a "Casio safe space" where anything critical can't be said about Casio.

[...] but on the other hand, this 'criticism' about the finish of the keys is the first of its kind I've heard...

People don't always like those "fake ivory" surfaces. There has been criticism before too. And also criticism of having smooth shiny keys with no texture. And criticism of the textured surface scratching easily. Someone always complains I guess.

Whether it's a Casio or not.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

The PX-S1000 is in a completely different price range than the P515, so no comparison...

Yes that’s very true. I think what I was trying to say is that I would not recommend it for beginners because of the heavy action but if you need the most compact 88 weighted keys it’s perfect if you are trained player.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have to say that I tried a Yamaha P125 action and it was very light and fast. Many say that the P515 action is very heavy. So, if the PX-S1000 action is even heavier than the P515, to me it's not a good thing...

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I was just noodling on a PX-S1000 yesterday, side-by-side with a P125, as it happens. They actually felt pretty similar to me. YMMV.

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N

I may be imagining things, but I feel that people always have something at the ready to complain about as far as Casio is concerned... First it was the short pivot point, but now that James has more or less confirmed the action is more than fine for advanced classical pieces, people will now have to start looking for something else to complain about.
I know, I know, I'm probably exagerating, but on the other hand, this 'criticism' about the finish of the keys is the first of its kind I've heard...

But let's just wait for the actual review of this, and see if the PX-S series really live up to James' initial impressions and expectations.

I agree that Casio has gone too far on the fake Ivory feel. I'm pretty sure I have mentioned it before, though I seem to have forgotten to mention it in my review.

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I recently sold my PX-S3000 and I can give "my opinion" about the action.

I thought the textures were overkill but I got used to them. I don't remember any grand piano having the feel that Casio decided on. Wondered if it was modeled on some piano from the 1700's.

Every time I played Casio, I had to adjust my technique to it. It wasn't a big deal until I got my ES110, which easily feels like a real acoustic (not withstanding the escapement conspiracy theory on this site. - just kidding.)

Looking back at Casio ownership and allure, I see the PX series trying too hard to be cutting edge with smaller size, touch buttons that disappear but a IO not up to snuff.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
I was just noodling on a PX-S1000 yesterday, side-by-side with a P125, as it happens. They actually felt pretty similar to me. YMMV.

I have not compared it with a p-125 but I can imagine that they are similar at the end if the keys but close to the fall board I can’t see them being comparable.

But I did like it besides it being hard for me to play between the black keys. It had great connectivity with a line-in and decent action and amazing size. If I had more experience I could see this being a second keyboard for me when I travel (by car) if I would to get a cabinet piano for my home.

But I hated some of the sounds on it which ultimately made me sell it when also considering the action. The PX-S3000 might be a lot more fun. The harpsichord was the worst and for some reason I like a nice harpsichord for playing around with smile

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

I have not compared it with a p-125 but I can imagine that they are similar at the end if the keys but close to the fall board I can’t see them being comparable.

I found them especially comparable at the end of the fallboard.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

I found them especially comparable at the end of the fallboard.

Alright very interesting. Good to know since a friend I’m me was asking if a P-125 would be good for a beginner piano and now I don’t think I can recommend it. If the option was between the two I would choose the Yamaha because of built in audio interface if size wasn’t the more important feature.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
As always, try them out yourself, if you can, and decide which you like better.

F
F
Originally Posted by navindra

I agree that Casio has gone too far on the fake Ivory feel. I'm pretty sure I have mentioned it before, though I seem to have forgotten to mention it in my review.

Yep. Actually I was (very) ready to purchase my first Casio DP.
Loved the shiny black minimalism of the PXS1000. Still do.
So I went for it. Until I felt the fake ivory feel in the shop.
It was too much.
As for ChrisGoesPiano’s remark, well, could be buyer’s remorse of sorts.
Or non-buyer’s remorse, which may be similar.
Anyway, I ordered a Roland RD-88 instead.

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo

[...] but on the other hand, this 'criticism' about the finish of the keys is the first of its kind I've heard...

People don't always like those "fake ivory" surfaces. There has been criticism before too. And also criticism of having smooth shiny keys with no texture. And criticism of the textured surface scratching easily. Someone always complains I guess.

Whether it's a Casio or not.

When I bought my PX-350 (7 years ago?), the rough finish on the Casio keys was at the forefront of consciousness for all reviewers.

I looked at it, felt it, said:

. . . "Oh -- an imitation of old, worn ivory"

and ignored it after 10 minutes of playing.

IMHO, if one wants to complain about something, "rough key finish" is pretty far down the list of possibilities.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
F
F
That PX-350 felt just fine, but the Casio PX-S1000 and PX-S3000 ivory feel really surprised me in a negative sense. It felt “coarse”.
And I’ve played a great many actions these last 50 years.
It’s just that, IMO of course, Casio went too far.
And I was pretty much ready to purchase.
Anyway, just found a (very positive) review by the great Stephen Fortner, who also refers to the “coarse” feel of the PX-S3000’s keys: https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/review-casio-privia-px-s3000/

I ownEd the PX-S1000 for about two month after upgrading from a Roland go:piano61. The Casio was at firs very nice for me as a first piano with weighted keys and as a beginner but gradually as as started to learn some more advanced (still easy songs) I noticed that it became very hard since the action is very heavy and extremely so when playing between the black keys.

The problem must be with your technique, if you found it so difficult to play on.

It's extremely easy to play anything on, if you have a good technique at the piano. That's not to say it's the best choice or that that Yamaha P-515 is not a better choice or a better action than the Casio.

Last edited by 3am_stargazing; 02/09/20 11:30 PM.

Kawai K-500 | M-Audio Keystation 49 | Casio PX-S1000 | ADAM Audio T8V
G
G
As a new owner of the PX-S1000, and also the owner of the Kawai ES110, I have to say I like the feel of the PX-S1000's keys. Also, as far as complaints about the action, it is quite easy to change the action to a number of lighter or heavier touches. The medium touch is a little heavier than what I am used to, but it fine for now. .

I am not a beginner, and also more of a jazz player, and do not think of either of these DP's as beginner or entry level pianos, but, yes, the Kawai seems more like an acoustic piano. My reasons for purchasing this piano was based on some great reviews in the pro jazz community, how much I enjoyed playing it before I bought it, and especially because it is about the most portable DP out there with weighted keys, and certainly the slimmest, and with the slim case. It is a winner for jazz gigs. I thought about this for almost a year before going for the piano with a package of the black home stand (easy to remove from stand for gigs), 3 pedals, and lightweight bag.

Now, if I can just figure out how to keeps the cats from jumping up on and sitting on the piano, all will be well. .

Essex baby grand, Kawai ES-120, Korg Liano
Jazz, blues, Latin, and a touch of classical and new age.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by 3am_stargazing
I ownEd the PX-S1000 for about two month after upgrading from a Roland go:piano61. The Casio was at firs very nice for me as a first piano with weighted keys and as a beginner but gradually as as started to learn some more advanced (still easy songs) I noticed that it became very hard since the action is very heavy and extremely so when playing between the black keys.

The problem must be with your technique, if you found it so difficult to play on.

It's extremely easy to play anything on, if you have a good technique at the piano. That's not to say it's the best choice or that that Yamaha P-515 is not a better choice or a better action than the Casio.

You are completely right about that. Since I am a beginner I don’t have great technique yet so for me it’s just a lot easier to play on the p-515 compared to the pc-x1000. But as I also said this is just between the black keys or close to the fall board. Otherwise it felt fine and truly great for being such a compact design.

I think if I was already trained I would not have much issues with it. I liked it but for me the sounds and action was just not right and i really feel that it’s not a great keyboard for first time learners.

Page 41 of 45 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission