2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Hi everyone!
So, about a few weeks ago I asked everyone to recommend me a resource saving piano VST that has una corda samples, and some of you mentioned Ravenscroft 275. I took a listen to some YouTube videos and was completely sold -- by the una corda samples, and the short staccato notes and how short they can be. I also enjoyed the whole balance of the samples, between the high and low notes. So I made my purchase last week and since then I've been on classical heaven! I am totally satisfied with the instrument, and it works very well with my Studiologic SL88 Grand!!!
Well, since I play classical, any recommended mixing microphone positions, I wonder? I'm really enjoying the close mikes right now, but I'm interested in what you guys think would be a nice microphone mixing position for classical music? I will follow your suggestion and advice and create presets for myself, as I found that saving a multy into a .uviws file can call up Ravenscroft quickly and easily.
Thanks to all of you, and have a great weekend!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Some of the NAMM Ravenscroft 275 videos on YouTube show settings.

Some NAMM videos are beta software so might be NA (e.g. Ruslan Sirota NAMM 2014. Still worth seeing as his performance is phenomenal).

D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by newer player
Some of the NAMM Ravenscroft 275 videos on YouTube show settings.

Some NAMM videos are beta software so might be NA (e.g. Ruslan Sirota NAMM 2014. Still worth seeing as his performance is phenomenal).

Yes, that was certainly memorable to hear. Thanks! smile

A
A
It is a stunning instrument. I did many experiments with the mics and came to conclusion that a single Player mic sounds the best, with the clearest sound and distinct resonance effects. Una corda mode sounds so good that I tend to overuse it. Do not forget to set release volume to maximal or near-maximal position. Also, turn on true pedal action and repedal buttons. Sympathetic resonance can also be magnified in order to get still richer sound effects. Good luck, and congratulations about getting one of the best instruments existing today!

Last edited by Andrew_G; 02/09/20 04:08 PM.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Is this the same VST that is also available for iOS?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It is available for iOS, but it's not the only piano VST available for iOS and Windows. There are also Ivory Mobile Grand (German Steinway D) and Ivory Mobile American D, based on their popular American Concert D.

I'm a Windows guy, so I don't know much about the i-world, but these are the ones I know about. There may be more piano VSTs available on the iOS and Windows platforms, which I don't know about.

Last edited by TheodorN; 02/09/20 06:52 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
S
S
Originally Posted by Boboulus
Is this the same VST that is also available for iOS?

Related, but very much stripped-down and simplified.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Thank you very much. I’m thinking about getting an iPad eventually and would be nice to have a VST to experiment a little bit smile

D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Andrew_G
It is a stunning instrument. I did many experiments with the mics and came to conclusion that a single Player mic sounds the best, with the clearest sound and distinct resonance effects. Una corda mode sounds so good that I tend to overuse it. Do not forget to set release volume to maximal or near-maximal position. Also, turn on true pedal action and repedal buttons. Sympathetic resonance can also be magnified in order to get still richer sound effects. Good luck, and congratulations about getting one of the best instruments existing today!

Thanks for your suggestion! I'm wondering -- is there a setting which I can create to make the effect of the concert hall, but in the audience position? I don't quite enjoy the usual player position with the higher notes on the right. smile But you are right about the release volume -- I turned 50% up and it felt better. smile

D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
I'm a Windows guy -- so not sure how you would connect a midi keyboard to an iPad. But yes, Ravenscroft is on the Appstore, but stripped down very much!

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
If you have midi over USB, it's pretty easy to connect to iOS, just a USB to lightning connector (or standard USB cable with a "camera adapter") and it just works. I've tested this out with my Roland go:Piano (in anticipation of getting my Piano de Voyage) and Ravenscroft on the iPhone. This is going to be my "bring a piano with me on business trips" solution.

If you have a keyboard with only old school 5 pin DIN MIDI connections, it will still work, you just need to add a MIDI to USB connector in the above mix. Just for kicks I tried this with my Kawai ES110 using a Mio MIDI to USB and it worked fine. I say just for kicks because the ES110 has bluetooth MIDI which allows you to connect wirelessly to the iPhone, but I wanted to see if wired worked as well through the hardware MIDI ports.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Chrispy
If you have midi over USB, it's pretty easy to connect to iOS, just a USB to lightning connector (or standard USB cable with a "camera adapter") and it just works. I've tested this out with my Roland go:Piano (in anticipation of getting my Piano de Voyage) and Ravenscroft on the iPhone. This is going to be my "bring a piano with me on business trips" solution.

If you have a keyboard with only old school 5 pin DIN MIDI connections, it will still work, you just need to add a MIDI to USB connector in the above mix. Just for kicks I tried this with my Kawai ES110 using a Mio MIDI to USB and it worked fine. I say just for kicks because the ES110 has bluetooth MIDI which allows you to connect wirelessly to the iPhone, but I wanted to see if wired worked as well through the hardware MIDI ports.

Hey, that's interesting! Then I wonder, how is the latency? What about Bluetooth? I'm sure that has a lot of latency, right? Wow, imagine controlling a piano instrument with my SL 88Grand on an iPad or iPhone!!! That's so interesting!!! smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
iOS can have excellent low latency performance. There are only a handful of devices to support and Apple has focused on latency.

K
K
Originally Posted by David Lai
Originally Posted by Chrispy

Hey, that's interesting! Then I wonder, how is the latency? What about Bluetooth? I'm sure that has a lot of latency, right? Wow, imagine controlling a piano instrument with my SL 88Grand on an iPad or iPhone!!! That's so interesting!!! smile

Latency is great - I have that exact combination. Volume on my iPhone 6s seems to be a bit low though.
Nevertheless, I absolutely love the App.
I have my "business travel setup" consisting of a Korg Microkey 61, a pedal a very small stand, Ravenscroft iOs, Sennheiser px 100 headphones and a cheap keyboard backpack where all of this + sheet music + music stand and my running shoes easily fit.
Not perfect by any means but beats not practicing by a long shot laugh
I actually feel that the small keys help me with my accuracy (not to mention suddenly being able to easily reach a 10th smile )

P
P
Originally Posted by David Lai
Hi everyone!
So, about a few weeks ago I asked everyone to recommend me a resource saving piano VST that has una corda samples, and some of you mentioned Ravenscroft 275. I took a listen to some YouTube videos and was completely sold -- by the una corda samples, and the short staccato notes and how short they can be. I also enjoyed the whole balance of the samples, between the high and low notes. So I made my purchase last week and since then I've been on classical heaven! I am totally satisfied with the instrument, and it works very well with my Studiologic SL88 Grand!!!
Well, since I play classical, any recommended mixing microphone positions, I wonder? I'm really enjoying the close mikes right now, but I'm interested in what you guys think would be a nice microphone mixing position for classical music? I will follow your suggestion and advice and create presets for myself, as I found that saving a multy into a .uviws file can call up Ravenscroft quickly and easily.
Thanks to all of you, and have a great weekend!

If you are using UVI workstation I can email you the Ravenscroft 275 settings that will make your SL88 sing! smile

Looking to purchase: Kawai MP(12), or Kawai VPC(2), or something Yamaha...
Current: Yamaha Synthesizer
Previous: Kawai CP205, Kawai CP207, Yamaha Synthesizers
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am really enjoying the Ravenscroft VST along with the Italian pianos... really fun.

I have Ravenscroft 275 (I believe you can only use UVI workstation no?) and here are my settings....

- Release volume 0
- Pedal noise -19.0 (this was irritating!)
- Key noise off
- Repetition strike ON
- Silent Strike 0
- Pedal Resonance 0
- True Pedal ON
- Repedal ON
- Sympathetic Resonance 0
- Sympathetic Polyphony 10
- Stereo 100
- Tone -2.5
- Timbre shift 0
- Reverb DRy 100 Wet 42, Small Concert Hall

MICS:

- Close OFF
- Player ON slider 3/4 Up
- Room - OFF
- Side - ON up full

I use about the same settings, where alike, on their other pianos... I really like Italian too... for that I set MIX off - they have another mic volume on them.
- Mix OFF - I discovered that Mix is their own "preset" of mic mix.... if you use this, turn all the other mics off... this confused the crap out of me.

I turn on all the feature buttons such as Una Corda, left the dynamics and that other table of crap I don't understand at default.

For those who are not familiar with these control values above, "0.0" does not mean OFF. You can turn the knobs left and they go negative... I don't get it and there is no or poor documentation.

Honestly, I half-understand these settings..... some didn't seem to do much anyway... others I found irritating and lowered them. Others are techniques I don't even have a clue how to use them. Anywho.... here they are.

I suspect much of how you set this up is to your taste and given the location and quality of your speakers and maybe even more importantly, the quality of your digital to analog converter (DAC). I am using a Benchmark USB 1 DAC my whole playback system may be considered a bit pricey given the systems I read about here. So, again, I may have chosen very different settings with a different playback systems.

Oh, and if you think the overall documentation for this stuff sucks... your are right. I am a noob to these VSTs and I found the lack of information maddening.

A pic of my latest rig is here: http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthreads.php/topics/2915862.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 02/15/20 05:28 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission