2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
A
A
As to the comparison with the RD2000 - are they comparing the same piano settings, etc? Is there a better piano in the RD2000 than what is presented?

F
F
Not much information on this (or any, for that matter).
I was wondering the same but thinking that I’m not so much interested in the V-Piano, which is entirely modeled, as Pianoteq takes care of that approach.
SuperNatural pianos are a mixture of modeling and samples, which is what I’d prefer in a DP slab.

AB99 #2944402 02/08/20 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by AB99
As to the comparison with the RD2000 - are they comparing the same piano settings, etc? Is there a better piano in the RD2000 than what is presented?

I don't see why they'd avoid using the 2000's best pianos if their goal was to compare the two boards so specifically.

When people look at a tree, they look at the leaves. They don't look at the spaces between the leaves. – Keith Jarrett
A
A
I don't either. But it does not mean that they did not do so. There is no information to indicate one way or the other.

Originally Posted by AndyFielding
Originally Posted by AB99

I don't see why they'd avoid using the 2000's best pianos if their goal was to compare the two boards so specifically.

C
C
When Kurzweil designed the SP6, they used a slimmed down set of elements for each piano part, meaning there is less detail in the SP6 pianos than in their Forte, for example. It could be that Roland did the same thing for the RD88.

Yamaha YC88, Kawai CA93, Yamaha MODX8, EV ZXA1
P
P
The piano sound they are using on the RD 2000 is t he stage grand ,when you first turn on the piano it is the modelled sound . I have the 2000 , you can change the sound to make it sound better than what's on the video and it does sound nicer in my opinion than the RD 88 which is what I would expect . The Rd 88 sounds pretty nice also .

pianomike #2945464 02/11/20 10:15 AM
A
A
Thank you! This is an excellent post. By the way, do you mod the stage grand, or do you start with a different preset before you modify?

quote=pianomike]The piano sound they are using on the RD 2000 is t he stage grand ,when you first turn on the piano it is the modelled sound . I have the 2000 , you can change the sound to make it sound better than what's on the video and it does sound nicer in my opinion than the RD 88 which is what I would expect . The Rd 88 sounds pretty nice also .[/quote]

F
F
According to Sweetwater, the RD-88 speakers and amp are:
Built-in Speakers:
2 x 4.7" woofer, 2 x .78" tweeter
Amplifier:
2 x 6W

F
F

A
A
What I like about the speakers- is they give it a little more of a piano vibe when playing live - it is nice to get some of the sound right from the instrument. It does not need to be overwhelming for this effect. If they used large speakers - then the unit would be heavier. So it is a matter of compromises. It looks like Roland made some nice compromises here to make it an affordable live instrument.

F
F
5” woofers are quite large, actually.

A
A
For live performance, where most likely there will be a PA with larger speakers, 5" woofers in the digital piano is excellent. I agree. How they sound - I obviously do not know. But for me, I only need it to give me the feel that I am playing a piano, while the audience really gets the sound from the PA. This is all good imho.

He was using the internal speakers for that Sweetwater review. They sounded pretty good, as far as you can make out from a Youtube review (I would be using it in a home environment, living room. My guess is, they will be less punchy than the ones in the SV2S, but I'm almost certain they will be better than the speakers in the PX-S1000 or 3000...
I must say, the RD88 still is a compelling option as a back-up for my MP11SE (still haven't decided), even though I won't be using 75% of the sounds : triple sensor keybed, support for Roland's triple pedal unit.
Will try one as soon as they hit the shops...

Last edited by ChrisGoesPiano; 02/17/20 05:29 AM.

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...
Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...
Kawai CA58, Korg Liano, Arturia Minilab 3, Arturia Minilab MkII, Arturia Minifreak
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by ChrisGoesPiano
He was using the internal speakers for that Sweetwater review. They sounded pretty good, as far as you can make out from a Youtube review...

He may have been using them for his own monitoring purposes but the onboard speakers were most definitely NOT what the viewer of the video is hearing...the audio is straight from the stereo line outs.

EssBrace #2947952 02/17/20 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by EssBrace
He was using the internal speakers for that Sweetwater review. They sounded pretty good, as far as you can make out from a Youtube review...

He may have been using them for his own monitoring purposes but the onboard speakers were most definitely NOT what the viewer of the video is hearing...the audio is straight from the stereo line outs.

Well, he was using mics, you could clearly hear the noise of the keys on the keybed and the clicking sound of the buttons...

21st century...
Kawai CA58, Korg Liano, Arturia Minilab 3, Arturia Minilab MkII, Arturia Minifreak
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by EssBrace

Well, he was using mics, you could clearly hear the noise of the keys on the keybed and the clicking sound of the buttons...

Yes, the mic is for his voice. The audio is so unmistakably 'line out' audio, with such a clean, rich, full, pronounced stereo image, devoid of room noise and flat frequency response. You can see the audio out cables from the piano. If they'd mic'd the piano it would have sounded awful, I promise you. That's not to say the speakers are bad, but mic'ing speakers such as those gives an equally unmistakable sound (a tinny, peaky, BAD one!).

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Steve is right. Probably close to all, at least designed to be, Pro demos you see/hear are recorded line out.

That is a huge reason so many users are dissatisfied with the sound when they get their keyboard and run it through gigging type speakers/ keyboard amp or just ok studio type monitors- it never sounds as good as it does in the videos !

Nord in particular.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
.....Probably close to all, at least designed to be, Pro demos you see/hear are recorded line out.

That is a huge reason so many users are dissatisfied with the sound when they get their keyboard and run it through gigging type speakers/ keyboard amp or just ok studio type monitors- it never sounds as good as it does in the videos !

Nord in particular.

So true!

I’m waiting for the manual to become available. One of the things I haven’t seen yet is whether the Piano Designer is part of the architecture. I’ve customized a few AP’s and EP’s on my RD800 to suit my ear, but that instrument is too heavy to take out of the home studio. It would be great if that ability carried into the lighter form factor, even if only available through an app.

There’s a lot to like about this instrument, particularly if the SN pianos can be tweaked.

Pramberger PS-157, Roland RD800, Nord Stage 2EX 76HP

21st century...
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission