2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Hey Everyone! This is my first post on here, I just joined and thought I’d share my piano progress as an adult beginner 😊

I started learning piano in December 2018 as a complete beginner. I made a video of my progress for a bit of fun and to show some realistic piano progress after a year of learning. I’d love to hear everyone else’s experiences from their first year of learning piano. I’ve still got so much more to learn but I’m really enjoying the journey!

-Ben

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I enjoyed that, welcome to the forums.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you smile

E
E
Very nice!!! It's amazing how much everything changed once you started using the pedal!

W
W
Very nice! I was playing way easier stuff in my first year and only started on more serious pieces in my second year. What's the deal with that left hand pinky of yours? Haha... Do you play another instrument? Could that be the reason?

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by wszxbcl
Very nice! I was playing way easier stuff in my first year and only started on more serious pieces in my second year. What's the deal with that left hand pinky of yours? Haha... Do you play another instrument? Could that be the reason?

Thanks! I actually had to rewatch the video to see what you meant haha but now I see. My LH pinky doesn’t have much natural curvature, I have no idea why 😂

E
E
Thanks for sharing that Ben, it was fun. Looks a bit like you might be using your pinky to rest your hand when it's not doing anything.

You must read well for a total beginner or are you playing by ear?

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by etherline
Thanks for sharing that Ben, it was fun. Looks a bit like you might be using your pinky to rest your hand when it's not doing anything.

You must read well for a total beginner or are you playing by ear?

Thanks! Yeah I’ll definitely have to keep an eye on that pinky. I can’t play by ear so it’s just a lot of practicing sight reading!

W
W
I also have a pinky problem but on my right hand. I think it's what is called double jointed. When I bend it, the two joints of the finger bend in opposite directions forming a "Z". But I still play it - as if it's normal. Ha ha.. I just don't look at it.

Last edited by wszxbcl; 02/08/20 07:37 AM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chalky97-
I can’t play by ear so it’s just a lot of practicing sight reading!

Welcome to PW, chalky97-. Just a small comment. I believe you mean "reading" here and not "sight reading." Sight reading is only the very first time you see a musical score and try to play it. After that very first time, every time you are trying to play from the score, it is just "reading."

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Your pinky doesn't have to have a lot or even any curvature. If you watch great pianists you will see that their pinky is often very straight or curved only in the slightest. But most would say curving to the wrong way, where the first joint collapses is usually bad.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by chalky97-
I can’t play by ear so it’s just a lot of practicing sight reading!

Welcome to PW, chalky97-. Just a small comment. I believe you mean "reading" here and not "sight reading." Sight reading is only the very first time you see a musical score and try to play it. After that very first time, every time you are trying to play from the score, it is just "reading."

Sorry I worded that badly. I meant I practice sight reading a lot so that I can read pieces quicker!:)

U
U
Nice! Curious - on average, how many hours a week would you guess you practice?

Yamaha P-525
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by UpNorth
Nice! Curious - on average, how many hours a week would you guess you practice?

Thank you! In my first year it ranged from about 30-90 mins per day. Maybe 6-7 hours a week average

W
W
Ben, I think you made huge progress for a total beginner! I made good progress too (nothing compared to what you are able to play) in my first year but that was only because I could already read music, has been playing the violin, been in a choir and could sightsing. But my piano teacher had me on scales, Bach, Czerny, Mozart only, for the first 2+ years. I am starting 2020 now with my first Beethoven... Uh oh... Wish me luck!

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by wszxbcl
Ben, I think you made huge progress for a total beginner! I made good progress too (nothing compared to what you are able to play) in my first year but that was only because I could already read music, has been playing the violin, been in a choir and could sightsing. But my piano teacher had me on scales, Bach, Czerny, Mozart only, for the first 2+ years. I am starting 2020 now with my first Beethoven... Uh oh... Wish me luck!

Thank you smile Sounds like you are making great progress too! Good luck with Beethoven!!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission