2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
What are your favourite beginners' pieces?
I know we have had similar threads before, but we are partly a different group of people who are active on ABF now, and our preferences can change.

* The level of the pieces should be at most RCM 2, the equivalents being Piano Adventures Level 4, Alfred premier 5, Alfred Basic 4, Piano safari 3, Bastien 4, Piano pronto mvm 4, Music tree part 4, Hal Leonard Student Piano Library 5, Celebration series level 2 and ABRSM grade 2.

* Please tell us the composer and/or in what book or from what other source you found your pieces.

* Easy arrangements of difficult pieces are absolutely fine!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Here are my pieces:

Felix Mendelssohn: Auf flügeln des Gesanges, easy arrangement from Classic themes by the masters (Bastien)

Chee-Hwa Tan: The Land of Nod

Louis Köhler: Die allerleichtesten Übungsstücke, no. 27

J.S. Bach: Air on the G string, easy arrangement from Classic themes by the masters (Bastien)

Anne Crosby Gaudet: Angelfish

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
T
T
The last time I took up oiano I got as far as page 26 of the John Thomson Adult Piano book 2 (Starlight Waltz).

When I took it up again, this was the first piece that I searched for.

It's not the most beautiful piece but I always found it fun to play as it gets progressively harder with each verse.

This guy is going quite a bit faster than I do and the video probably makes it look a lot harder than it actually is. There are some jumps but they're not very far.

Starlight Waltz

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sick
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
My favourite beginner's pieces are,

Fur Elise
Pachelbel's Canon
Elton John's greatest hits
Imagine from John Lennon
Titanic theme song

These are the songs I wanted to learn.

When I started piano lessons, I didn't learn those songs because my teacher said it was better for me to learn some sonatinas , minuet and practise some boring exercises. After a few years, I had enough and just stop playing. One day I discovered PianoWorld and I was back at the piano.

Last edited by Serge88; 02/07/20 11:08 AM.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Fur Elise is RCM level 7, so not even remotely close to a beginner piece and 5 levels above what the OP asked about, unless your talking about a simplified version.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John305
Fur Elise is RCM level 7, so not even remotely close to a beginner piece and 5 levels above what the OP asked about, unless your talking about a simplified version.

True! smile
So John, what are your favourite beginners' pieces?

I'd say the two Bach/Petzold minuets in G major and G minor would be somewhere around grade 2? They're always a safe bet!

I've been playing the piano since Jan '18.
More recently, I passed Grade 6 with distinction and plan to take Grade 7 in late 2021.

I am documenting my progress, recitals and experiences of learning how to play the piano as an adult on my YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/PeterHontaru
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Schumann's Melody, Op. 68 no. 1, from Album for the Young, is nice. Piano Syllabus has it at grade 1-2. Chorale, Op. 68 no. 4, is another nice one but comes in at grade 3 on Piano Syllabus. These are from the book published by Kjos and edited by Keith Snell. I'd probably buy the Alfred book of Album for the Young if I had a do-over. These are also available via IMSLP.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

A
A
This is a perfectly timed question for me! I have the book Easy Classics to Moderns and I have learned a few pieces in there. And wasn't sure what to work on next. But it has some Schumann pieces, including the Melody piece. I'm going to try that next. I have worked on Minuet in G and Rondino by Rameau and Minuet in A Minor from Henry Purcell from that book. I started Minuet in G Minor but it's a little more difficult and I think Melody will be perfect! I'm keeping an eye on this thread. Thank you!

Amy
Beginner
Kawai CA 79
B
B
I have recently been learning some pieces by Hermann Berens Op 70... No.41 is a current favourite. Also Carl Czerny Opus 139... No.20 is a favourite.

T
T

The first piece of music that I ever played on piano was Fur Elise. I was about 10 and a girl taught me in lunch breaks at school.

I believe that it’s quite a common piece for beginners.

It was only the first part and was obviously a simplified version but sounded pretty impressive all the same.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by treefrog

The first piece of music that I ever played on piano was Fur Elise. I was about 10 and a girl taught me in lunch breaks at school.

I believe that it’s quite a common piece for beginners.

It was only the first part and was obviously a simplified version but sounded pretty impressive all the same.

Right, that would be the A section of the piece, which is a lot easier than the other parts. Most people just learn that. Sections B and C are more difficult.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Treefrog and bSharp(C)yclist, what are your favourite Beginners pieces? smile

T
T
Originally Posted by Animisha

I posted mine up thread (post #3)

Other than that, the only other pieces that I've continued to play on a regular basis are Clair De Lune (Simple piano version) and the Indiana Jones theme which I learnt from this Creative Piano Academy video on youtube.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha

Let me think. I got back to these from time to time, although none are memorized. But that's OK, just reinforces reading and playing skills, which opens up the door to learning new things faster. It would be nice to keep all of these in memory, but my brain quickly forgets ;0

Alfreds Series (1 and 2)
Entertainer
Amazing Grace
Sakura
Danny Boy
Musetta's Waltz

RCM 3
Clementi Sonatina Op 36, No1 - Andante, Mvt 2
Martha Mier - Interlude
Nakada - Song of Twilight
Burgmüller - Arabesque

Alfred's Master Works Classics Level 3
Petzold - Minuet in G Major (114)
Gretchaninov - The Little Beggar
Schumann - Wild Rider
Duncombe - Sonatina G Major

Alfred's Master Works Classics Level 4
Streabbog - A Pleasant Morning
Kabalevsky - Clowns (also RCM 3)
Menuet G Minor (115)
Polonaise G Minor (119)

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I think it is Tech-Key has a lovely rendition of Scarborough Fair. I believe that is from the Alfred level 1. I've listened to it multiple times.

E
E
My favorite book so far has been Hal Leonard More Popular Piano Solos, book 5. There are some super good arrangements of some great songs. My favorites from that book were "All I Ask of You" and "I Dreamed a Dream" because it's fun to sing along all dramatically, but there are lots of great ones.

T
T
Originally Posted by enw10
My favorite book so far has been Hal Leonard More Popular Piano Solos, book 5. There are some super good arrangements of some great songs. My favorites from that book were "All I Ask of You" and "I Dreamed a Dream" because it's fun to sing along all dramatically, but there are lots of great ones.

I’ve never had the inclination to sing along to pieces but you’ve inspired me. And I can’t think of two more dramatic pieces.

When I get good enough, these two will be on my list and I'll be adding my awful but dramatic vocals smile

E
E
Oh, I also have several "easy piano" books which vary in difficulty, but they're all about this level. I really liked "Into the West" from the "Lord of the Rings" easy piano book and "The Greatest Show" and "Never Enough" from "The Greatest Showman" easy piano. My daughter is also playing "For Forever" from the "Dear Evan Hansen" easy piano book, and it's absolutely gorgeous.

For anyone into that kind of music smile

Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

Alfreds Series (1 and 2)
Musetta's Waltz

This was in a Faber book too... maybe the Adult AIO book 2. It was my very favorite of all of the pieces in the Faber Adult AIO books smile

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
"Scarborough Fair" & "Chiapanecas" (Mexican Hand-Clapping Song) from the Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course.
Chiapanecas was the song that appeared in a Bugs Bunny cartoon many years ago with the bullfighters in Spain.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission