2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
26 registered members (Herq, achoo42, hlm3, chopinetto, hasim, Gretel, 9 invisible), 286 guests, and 394 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: Alicia1] #2939809 01/28/20 03:30 PM
E
EPW Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Check the Juno DS series. They might fit your needs and battery powered if need be.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: Alicia1] #2939953 01/28/20 08:11 PM
3am_stargazing Offline
Originally Posted by Alicia1
Yes, they are good but i mean they are about 10yrs old and there are specific sounds that just weren't there yet that I really want to use in music even tho I havent check all the MX series!

What sounds do you mean?

M-Audio Keystation 49 | Casio PX-S1000 | Yamaha HS8 studio monitors | HiFiMAN Sundara headphones
Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: Alicia1] #2940052 01/29/20 02:56 AM
C
Charles Cohen Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
SUPER , thanks!! :))
I am always thinking to get Yamaha! Maby in the end it is good idea smile

Is yamaha MODx6 the new version of like MX61?

It's a bit more complicated -- the MX61 is a very stripped-down, simplified version of a Yamaha Motif. The Yamaha Montage is the follow-on to the Motif, and the MODX is a version of the Montage:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-modx

Sound On Sound is a very reliable source. They review lots of synths, and often the manufacturer arranges for free, public access to the reviews. So you should be able to find reviews of several of the Korg and Roland and Yamaha keyboards that we've mentioned.

As for wanting "new sounds", the beauty of a programmable synth is that you can make them up yourself, or load them from third-party libraries. Not all synths let you do that, and not all musicians become sound designers.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: anotherscott] #2940065 01/29/20 03:40 AM
A
Alicia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Yes, hammer action, dynamics are important for sure, even more important than effects. I start to think if I need a seperare midi keyboard for effects.. I think it will take me few weeks to choose the right instrument but thanks alot, I am taking advises and putting everything together smile as well as seeing whats best on market.

I love music.

There will always be someone who won't understand you but do what you are made to, focus on the miracle trough it as well as respect others on their journey.

Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: Alicia1] #2940075 01/29/20 04:08 AM
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Alicia1, may I ask, what is your musical background?

Are you able to play the piano/keyboard already?
Do you play in bands already?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: Alicia1] #2940169 01/29/20 11:13 AM
A
anotherscott Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

Expanding on what Charles said... The MX sound set was a subset of the Motif XS, though with fewer effects (the Motif XS could put two insert effects on a sound, the MX can only put one such effect on a sound). The MX has 166 mb of the 355 mb of wave data in the Motif XS.

Since all the MX sounds (except possibly piano) are in the Motif XS, and all the Motif XS are included in the Motif XF, and all the Motif XF sounds are included in the Montage, and the MODX has the same sounds as the Montage, that means that essentially all the MX sounds (and a lot more) are included in the MODX.

The MX61 and MODX6 are both current products. The MODX gives you just about everything that's in the MX, and a whole lot more. Both are also available in 88-key hammer action versions. The reason I did not include them on my list in the earlier post is that none of them have speakers OR drum pads. But who knows, you might like the Yamaha sounds best.

Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: Alicia1] #2940364 01/29/20 06:44 PM
S
Sweelinck Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
You probably are not going to travel with an 88-key hammer weight action. It will be big and heavy. You really need to try out the actions in the keyboards before making up your mind. And if you want built in speakers, you usually won’t get a line level output, just a headphone out which will be noisy hooked up to a PA or keyboard amp. Are you looking just to play for yourself or perform in public?

Login name is a tribute to Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck, arguably the historically first great keyboard virtuoso.
Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: Alicia1] #2940376 01/29/20 07:19 PM
3am_stargazing Offline
Yes, hammer action, dynamics are important for sure, even more important than effects. I start to think if I need a seperare midi keyboard for effects.. I think it will take me few weeks to choose the right instrument but thanks alot, I am taking advises and putting everything together smile as well as seeing whats best on market.

Well, the MX88 has a hammer action. On the other hand, the MX61 and MX49 have unweighted keys.

The MX61 and MX49 are far more portable though.

The MX49 is 3.9 kg, the MX61 is 4.8kg, while the MX88 is 13.9 kg.

Last edited by 3am_stargazing; 01/29/20 07:20 PM.

M-Audio Keystation 49 | Casio PX-S1000 | Yamaha HS8 studio monitors | HiFiMAN Sundara headphones
Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: Kawai James] #2940455 01/30/20 03:21 AM
A
Alicia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Yes I play piano already, have played since I was kid. I don't yet play with other instruments but I am paralely practising recording, so I do my songs.

I love music.

There will always be someone who won't understand you but do what you are made to, focus on the miracle trough it as well as respect others on their journey.

Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: Alicia1] #2940456 01/30/20 03:25 AM
A
Alicia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks alot for advices and info. Yes I want piano for performing as well as practise, recording.

I will go with my 1st plan to go to Just music store in Berlin when I arrive there and really check on instruments ofcourse Yamaha mx series also smile that is def needed.

I love music.

Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: Charles Cohen] #2940458 01/30/20 03:27 AM
A
Alicia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
SUPER , thanks!! :))
I am always thinking to get Yamaha! Maby in the end it is good idea smile

It's a bit more complicated -- the MX61 is a very stripped-down, simplified version of a Yamaha Motif. The Yamaha Montage is the follow-on to the Motif, and the MODX is a version of the Montage:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-modx

Sound On Sound is a very reliable source. They review lots of synths, and often the manufacturer arranges for free, public access to the reviews. So you should be able to find reviews of several of the Korg and Roland and Yamaha keyboards that we've mentioned.

As for wanting "new sounds", the beauty of a programmable synth is that you can make them up yourself, or load them from third-party libraries. Not all synths let you do that, and not all musicians become sound designers.

Thanks!!

I love music.

Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: Alicia1] #2940548 01/30/20 10:25 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Alicia, you are going to find it difficult and expensive to combine both a piano with full-weighted hammer-action keys that you were used to playing as a kid, with the synth type functionality and drum pads you want for punk rock and heavier. In fact, if you want to stick with only 61 keys, it will be impossible. Manufacturers of full-weighted hammer-action keyboards just don't make 61 key keyboards as the demand isn't there - a 61-key keyboard can't play a broad enough range of piano repertoire. If you want all the functionality, and 61 keys, and not to spend an arm and a leg, you're going to need to go with an unweighted or semi-weighted synth type keyboard. Many keyboard players aren't piano players and don't think of weighting of keys as a good thing for what they do.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2940578 01/30/20 11:19 AM
A
Alicia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for advice.
I will need to feel it when I am at shop. I think the best way is to spend time in good market and feel it smile I really want to try out Yamaha DP options live, they seem affordable and practical. For me it is more about the sound, even if would be light keys. smile
I learnt more of what I need, was starting with wanting midi but learnt that actually I want the speakers also.. For now Yamaha mx series from what I see online is my thing, really need to try them life..

I checked the shop in Berlin and it has some Yamaha options, and price is not so different there, if it feels good prob would take it, but will keep on searching and reading about keyboards etc still. It feels a huge world heh

I love music.

Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: Alicia1] #2940648 01/30/20 01:30 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Thanks for advice.
I will need to feel it when I am at shop. I think the best way is to spend time in good market and feel it smile I really want to try out Yamaha DP options live, they seem affordable and practical. For me it is more about the sound, even if would be light keys. smile
I learnt more of what I need, was starting with wanting midi but learnt that actually I want the speakers also.. For now Yamaha mx series from what I see online is my thing, really need to try them life..

I checked the shop in Berlin and it has some Yamaha options, and price is not so different there, if it feels good prob would take it, but will keep on searching and reading about keyboards etc still. It feels a huge world heh

If you are willing to go with unweighted or semi-weighted keys, then I think you will have lots of options. You then are in the sweet spot of synth players and you should be able to find some functionality-rich keyboards for your price point.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: Sweelinck] #2940653 01/30/20 01:38 PM
A
anotherscott Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
You probably are not going to travel with an 88-key hammer weight action. It will be big and heavy.

It's relative, and it depends on what kind of travel he's talking about. Some of the options discussed (MX88, Kross 88, PX560) are in the 27-31 lb range, with the PX560 being the physically smallest of them.

And if you want built in speakers, you usually won’t get a line level output, just a headphone out which will be noisy hooked up to a PA or keyboard amp.

There are plenty of boards with speakers and line outs (e.g. all the Casio Privias, the Kawais, some Korg); and even some using headphone outs can get you perfectly good results. (Some of the manufacturers even tell you that you can use your headphone jack as a line out.)

Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: anotherscott] #2940690 01/30/20 03:07 PM
3am_stargazing Offline
Originally Posted by anotherscott
You probably are not going to travel with an 88-key hammer weight action. It will be big and heavy.

It's relative, and it depends on what kind of travel he's talking about. Some of the options discussed (MX88, Kross 88, PX560) are in the 27-31 lb range, with the PX560 being the physically smallest of them

That's true.

The MX88 (at 13.9 kg) would be portable in the sense you could take it in the car (if you lower the car seats), and move it between cities. But you probably can't take it on a plane, or carry it around easily.

If you are travelling in your own country, it could be convenient. But not if you are travelling abroad.

On the other hand the MX49 (at 3.8 kg) is actually portable in the sense you could take it in the plane, and carry it around on holiday abroad. It's only the weight of 2 laptops.

(I'm interested in the MX49 for taking on holiday with me due to its light weight.)

Op said they wanted something portable and also now they say they want weighted keys, so they are a bit incompatible requirements. As boards with weighted keys are at least 11-12kg +

Last edited by 3am_stargazing; 01/30/20 03:11 PM.

Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: Alicia1] #2940846 01/31/20 01:42 AM
S
Sweelinck Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

Some of the manufacturers even tell you that you can use your headphone jack as a line out.

What they usually don’t tell you is that the headphone output stage maya be noisy compared to the line level output on other keyboards. This typically limits the level of amplification if you want a clean sound.

Login name is a tribute to Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck, arguably the historically first great keyboard virtuoso.
Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: Alicia1] #2940850 01/31/20 02:27 AM
MacMacMac Offline
I've never heard complaints about noisy headphone outputs. Mine are noise free.
Are they only noisy on the low-end keyboards?

Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: 3am_stargazing] #2940860 01/31/20 03:50 AM
A
Alicia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
yes, will need to go with unweighted keys, but it's ok, till the sound is good.

Hm, that's a good point about quality trough amplifiers, wouldn't want any crackings etc.

I love music.

Re: What kinda piano to choose? Needed for rec., perf.,practise [Re: Alicia1] #2940963 01/31/20 12:29 PM
rintincop Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
MAudio and a laptop. Very portable!

Professional | 1966 Mason & Hamlin | Kawai ES110 | Mojo 61 |
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Resonance piano-Inspired by the music of Nils Frahm FREE
by newer player - 04/07/20 11:30 PM
Kurzweil PC88mx Repair Help
by wondertwins - 04/07/20 09:17 PM
What is your ranking of the piano composers?
by achoo42 - 04/07/20 08:10 PM
Roland DP603 for my 50th ...
by TheophilusCarter - 04/07/20 07:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,981
Posts2,942,898
Members96,529
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission