2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17
K
K
In that case I would like a video with the external monitors in use... 🤗

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CyberGene

David can confirm but I think in that recording he didn't use the monitors, only the N1X internal speakers?

That was all N1X (no monitors).

Someone suggested I should have the mics closer to the speakers, but I was trying to capture what I actually hear. I did try a recording with the mics closer to my ears, but I didn't notice much of a difference. If I was recording the NV5 I might try putting a mic closer to the soundboard to try and pickup some of those vibrations.

God Bless,
David

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by David B
Praise God for the late Duane Shinn. That song was from lesson 38 in his Crash Course and was pretty much his arrangement. His materials have truly been an inspiration to me.

He died? Sorry to hear that. Are his courses ended?

Your playing and musical expression is very inspiring. Did you really learn all that from the course?

What amazing dividends that course has paid off for you, congrats!

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by navindra
Originally Posted by David B
Praise God for the late Duane Shinn. That song was from lesson 38 in his Crash Course and was pretty much his arrangement. His materials have truly been an inspiration to me.

He died? Sorry to hear that. Are his courses ended?

His son is still selling the original videos, so this means, no his course(s) has(have) not ended.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by navindra

Your playing and musical expression is very inspiring. Did you really learn all that from the course?

What amazing dividends that course has paid off for you, congrats!

Thanks.

It's all from Duane's course. I started playing the piano a few years ago from scratch. I had a little experience with another self-paced/taught course but I found it almost totally useless in the end. I learned about Duane's course through this forum, took a chance on the materials, and it turned out to be a great blessing. Any beginner who goes through Duane's course can learn to play. I'm certainly not gifted in any special way. It just takes time and practice. I wish I had more time to practice.

God Bless,
David

L
L
TYR

are you till happy with your NV5 since you mentioned you are very picky and usually shortly after time you are not satisfied with most pianos you had so far.

Would be interesting to get an update smile

Currently: NU1X
Previously: VPC-1 / CA-58 / CA-98 / CA-79
A
A
Originally Posted by lovelovemale
TYR

are you till happy with your NV5 since you mentioned you are very picky and usually shortly after time you are not satisfied with most pianos you had so far.

Would be interesting to get an update smile

@Tyr or any other NV5 user, would also be very interested to get some more user reports after some longer usage

P
P
Originally Posted by alexPixel
@Tyr or any other NV5 user, would also be very interested to get some more user reports after some longer usage

I'm not Tyr, but I guess I have the longest usage so far (11 weeks). My opinion has not changed since then. I absolutely love the instrument. My fingers apparently do, too. They've become much more sensitive and I now notice all the slack in my teachers worn piano (which I didn't before).

I'm excited about it, and you may be too, but in the end the important message is that the NV5 delivers to its promises. Great real upright action, great aesthetics, great sound, quiet practice, small footprint. If that is what you want, the NV5 will not disappoint you.

See my previous opinions posted here, here, and here.

Tyr Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I'm still in love with the NV5. After three weeks of playing, the action turns out to be one of the best i've ever played on a Digital. It's very close to the NV10 in Terms of Responsiveness and Touch. I don't mind that it's an Upright Action at all. Some People may notice the Difference on High Repition Pieces but i don't play this kind of Music so i can't give a valid Feedback about it. So i can fully agree on pppianomarcs Response.

Well done Kawai.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
L
L
Is the action in the NV5 also shorter than in the NV10?
Like the length of the wood is shorter or it’s the same length just a different mechanism?
What would you consider a high repetition piece?
It’s possible to play like trills without problems ?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Like the length of the wood is shorter or it’s the same length just a different mechanism?

Yes, I believe the key sticks used by the NV5's action are a little shorter than those used by the NV10. I think it's uncommon for upright piano actions to use shorter keys than grand piano actions.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I think it's uncommon for upright piano actions to use shorter keys than grand piano actions.

*common
(excuse the correction, but without it the statement is confusing)

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Thanks!

I think I intended to write "I think it's not uncommon...", which itself would have been a little confusing to begin with.

No need to apologise. wink

James
x

P
P
What would you consider a high repetition piece?
It’s possible to play like trills without problems ?

The length is consistent with a quality upright action. Measured from where the key disappears inside the piano body, to the nearest row of balance rail pins, you have about 35-40mm I believe. The pivot point is related to these pins, but not necessarily at exactly that distance. I'm sorry I don't have a more precise number.

Being an upright action, you have to fully release the key before you can play it again. A (good) grand action is better for this type of use. But we're not talking about severe limitations here, many great pianists have studied on uprights. I know I am at least a decade away from "needing" an action upgrade. If you have to ask, you're probably in the same boat.

Here is a picture of the keys in the NV5:

[Linked Image]

A
A
Would anyone know who the dealer is in Victoria, Australia? The dealer who got me my Kawai CS11 said they can't help me as only 1 dealer is allowed to sell it lol...

Originally Posted by aokman
Would anyone know who the dealer is in Victoria, Australia? The dealer who got me my Kawai CS11 said they can't help me as only 1 dealer is allowed to sell it lol...

aokman, I believe it's best to contact Kawai Australia directly with this kind of query:

https://kawai.com.au/contact/

Kind regards,
James
x

L
L
@TYR

Do your NV5 pedals make any squishing noises ? Still happy with your instrument ?

Tyr Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
No and yes Bud. smile

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
T
T
Hello Tyr,
I’m deciding between yamaha NU1X and Kawai NV5, According to NU1X specs It has smooth release feature (when releasing keys slowly damper Touches slowly to string and sound decay is different) , which as I have read NV5 is lacking, so does this make any difference or can you really fell that feature on NU1X?

P.S. I’m 39 and this will be my first piano (at the moment I don’t know even how to play), I was at the shop, but have no idea what a good or bad action should feel like, youtube videos are selling pitches and not real review, so this forum is my last hope.

Maybe bring along your piano teacher (or anyone with piano experience) to help you evaluate pianos?

As for the "smooth release feature" ... don't get lost in the "features" and the marketing nonsense. Feature-itis is a distraction from what's really important. You just need 88 keys that feel good and sound good.

Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission