2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
29 registered members (AZNpiano, David B, DionG, Chouca, Clockworkangel, BeeZee4, Charles Cohen, 8 invisible), 266 guests, and 377 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: CyberGene] #2940594 01/30/20 12:01 PM
3am_stargazing Offline
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I like his symphonies and symphonic dances, I adore his 2nd and 3rd piano concertos, I occasionally enjoy a few of his piano pieces but I fail to see what kind of innovation he has really done in music.

To say something (perhaps pointlessly) subjective, I find a lot of his writing in the piano concertos and symphonies to be "kitsch and cheesy", and this feeling gets worse the more I know the melodies.

On the other hand, I love almost all his solo piano and chamber pieces. While he was a wonderful composer on the solo piano, unfortunately, I feel like he lost his taste and decorum whenever he got near a orchestra.

Last edited by 3am_stargazing; 01/30/20 12:10 PM.

M-Audio Keystation 49 | Casio PX-S1000 | Yamaha HS8 studio monitors | HiFiMAN Sundara headphones
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2940671 01/30/20 02:24 PM
S
Sweelinck Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
This is low quality research. The measure of novelty was just pulled out of the air as something the researchers thought about and was not validated. It does not consider all of the aspects of music, just note values. It is not surprising that they obtained erroneous results. Rachmaninov may be a great composer, but finding a very late romantic composer who was born 60+ years after Chopin, Mendelssohn, Schumann, and Liszt (and was composing most of his romantic works after the romantic era was over) the most innovative should have given the researchers pause that their measure may be wrong. Rachmaninov was heavily influenced Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Mussorgsky, and Chopin.

Login name is a tribute to Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck, arguably the historically first great keyboard virtuoso.
Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2940680 01/30/20 02:43 PM
ebonykawai Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nope. Chopin was the most innovative. Fight me! 😂😂😂😂😂

Lisa

Playing RCM 7 & 8 repertoire
Kawai UST-9, Yamaha CLP565GP & CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: Sweelinck] #2940714 01/30/20 04:19 PM
I
iaintagreatpianist Offline
I
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Rachmaninov was heavily influenced Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Mussorgsky, and Chopin.

Rachmaninoff also was influenced by others as well: he cherished Anton Rubinstein, he had respect for Scriabin, and he loved Grieg.

I know, because Rachmaninoff based his Third Concerto in D minor after the Rubinstein Fourth (also in D minor). Rachmaninoff also based his First Concerto in F-sharp minor off of Grieg's A minor, for a more famous example.

Rachmaninoff played Scriabin's concerto in 1911 with Scriabin conducting, and again in 1915 as a memorial for Scriabin.

Rachmaninoff was not necessarily the most innovative. Rachmaninoff took cues from the past. But his music is wonderful!

Originally Posted by ebonykawai
Nope. Chopin was the most innovative. Fight me! 😂😂😂😂😂

Chopin was very innovative.

Ballades were first written by Chopin! Liszt's 2 ballades, Brahms's 4 ballades, and Grieg's 1 ballade, came much later.

He made études into an exercise for the heart, rather than just technique.

Polonaises never sounded better under Chopin. (Beethoven's Op. 89 cannot compare to Chopin's Op. 53.)

But ultimately, John Field invented the nocturne, so we need to stop neglecting the past.

Just like how we wouldn't have the same Rach #3 we have today without Anton Rubinstein, Chopin wouldn't have written Nocturnes without John Field, or Études without Czerny.

Originally Posted by Mosotti
Researchers are right, Rachmaninoff is the pinnacle of piano composition. He somehow managed to create these incredibly difficult pieces which are at the same time incredibly beautiful/emotional. No one has done it at that level smile

Sure, Rachmaninoff's level is incredibly high to reach. But the pinnacle of piano composition is not Rachmaninoff. That'd be Mozart.
Mozart influenced Beethoven, who influenced Anton Rubinstein, who influenced Tchaikovsky, who influenced Rachmaninoff.

Last edited by iaintagreatpianist; 01/30/20 04:26 PM.

Pianist-in-training. Also an 18 year old who hasn't grown up at heart.

Some of my favorite composers: Ludwig van Beethoven, Franz Liszt, Edvard Grieg, Edward MacDowell.
Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2940726 01/30/20 05:23 PM
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OK, now let's really get down to work! cool

How about an 'official' ranking of those composers in the article, on innovation -- considering just piano music (actually better we say keyboard), as in the article.

(Methodology: the top of my head.) ha

BTW, "top of the head" has its advantages, because it can take everything into account, and in flexible proportions according to what seems most relevant for each composer -- which IMO is exactly what the most perfect objective methods would do, if only we could put it into a formula, which I don't think we could, and even if we did, it would still be subjective.

The only disadvantage, as near as I can tell, is that it's the top of my head. grin

Bach
Beethoven
Chopin
Liszt
Debussy (the article has him absurdly low -- below the median)
Ravel
Scarlatti
Mozart (I'm ready to be blasted for not putting him higher, and I wouldn't fight you on it)
Schumann (in fact I could be blasted for not putting everybody higher)
Schubert
Albeniz
Mendelssohn
Brahms
Tchaikovsky
Rachmaninoff
Haydn
Mussorgsky
Clementi (who I love, but still)
Handel (I might just not know enough about his keyboard music; could belong higher)

Other official rankings invited, of course. smile

Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: Mark_C] #2940727 01/30/20 05:31 PM
Mark_C Offline
......BTW, here's how the article ranks them, I think. (a little hard to see exactly)

Rachmaninoff
Brahms (who BTW is also not generally considered particularly an innovator)
Bach
Chopin
Mendelssohn
Schumann
Ravel
Albeniz
Handel
Liszt
Schubert
Scarlatti
Debussy
Beethoven
Mussorgsky
Tchaikovsky
Mozart
Haydn
Clementi

Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2940737 01/30/20 05:56 PM
CyberGene Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
- Bach, I can end up here smile
- Chopin (nobody else could ever reach his lyricism, greatest melodies ever)
- Wagner - wow, so daring harmonies and instrumentation, still unreachable and still applicable (P.S. not a piano composer but I think he innovated a lot to influence many late-romantic piano composers)
- Debussy - took-off from Wagner's initial hints at non-functional harmony and brought it to entirely new and original level of tone/chord color, still applicable to this day
- Stravinsky probably... for daring to experiment in a way that's both atonal yet fresh and captivating (in contrast to Schönberg) (P.P.S not piano composer either but I still think is very important for modern piano music as an early innovator in modernism)

Honorable mention: Scriabin who kind of innovated in every of the above fields but somehow isn't known a lot today and I still don't know why...

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/30/20 06:05 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: pianoloverus] #2940740 01/30/20 06:16 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I suppose with the appropriately chosen definition of innovative any composer could end up being the most innovative.[...]

Exactly: the discussion is unfocused and its conclusion would be indecisive unless there is a mutual agreement on what "innovative" means.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2940745 01/30/20 06:31 PM
pianoloverus Offline
I think several posters are confusing innovative with great or assuming great means innovative. For example, from what I've read Bach is considered the apotheosis of the Baroque but not particularly innovative.

Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: pianoloverus] #2940752 01/30/20 06:54 PM
CyberGene Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I think several posters are confusing innovative with great or assuming great means innovative. For example, from what I've read Bach is considered the apotheosis of the Baroque but not particularly innovative.

Bach innovated in almost every possible way smile Even by following centuries’ standards.

Here’s a proof:

Just kidding. But still... 🤪

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2940756 01/30/20 07:15 PM
S
Sweelinck Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

Brahms (who BTW is also not generally considered particularly an innovator)

The symphonies and piano concertos may not be particularly innovative, but I think Brahms chamber music is quite innovative. The Serenade #1 in D for orchestra shows a fair bit of originality, as do the Rhapsody in Gm Op 79 #2 and Capriccio in Gm Op 116 #3. No doubt others may be identified. On the other hand, a piece like the Handel variations would not be very innovative (despite being among his greatest works).

Login name is a tribute to Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck, arguably the historically first great keyboard virtuoso.
Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2940764 01/30/20 07:29 PM
M
MathGuy Offline
M
I've by no means digested the article, but for the authors novelty in music seems to mean lots of chord-to-chord transitions that haven't been used much in the past. And they apparently count any vertical arrangement of notes as a unique chord, which means anyone can be a novel composer for piano by simply juxtaposing a whole bunch of chords in many different inversions and registers. And it does seem like Rachmaninoff did a lot of that, maybe more than anybody considering how dense many of his compositions are. But to take this a metric for real musical novelty seems misguided.

Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2940768 01/30/20 07:43 PM
S
Sweelinck Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Bach has tremendously innovative. If you compare JS Bach and Handel, Handel generated harmonic variety through key changes. I think that was typical of most Baroque composers other than Bach (and earlier composers who achieved harmonic variety). Bach generated harmonic variety through use of much more diverse and innovative harmonies, much more so than any of his contemporaries or predecessors.

I realize that my comment is a general one, and no doubt exceptions may be found, but I think Bach was tremendously innovative with respect to harmonization.

Since the research was with respect to keyboard music, I think it would be remiss not to consider the substantial innovative contributions of some earlier keyboard players/composers: Sweelinck, Frescobaldi, Froberger, and Buxtehude.

Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2940772 01/30/20 07:49 PM
S
Sweelinck Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I think that there is a fatal flaw in the measure used by the researchers. Even if their measure actually captured musical variety, it is biased to later composers. If a composer used paradigms of all who came before and added 1% original paradigms, the researcher’s measure would show that composer to be more innovative than predecessors.

Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2940818 01/30/20 11:30 PM
Carey Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Bach, Mozart and Beethoven blew all the other composers out of the water in terms of their impact on the development of Western classical music....even if you just consider their keyboard works (solo and ensemble).

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2940832 01/31/20 12:44 AM
B
BDB Offline
B
When it comes to innovation, I do not think any of those old fogies compare to Henry Cowell.

Semipro Tech
Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2940862 01/31/20 03:55 AM
R
rmns2bseen Offline
R
Similarly, Beethoven, Schubert, and Liszt were less novel than Mendelssohn and Schumann, but eventually came to exert more influence and inspire more piano music to follow.
What's the basis for that statement? I think it's wrong, peer reviewed or not. Rachmaninoff was a fine composer and great pianist, but I don't think of "innovative" when I hear his music.

Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: pianoloverus] #2940864 01/31/20 04:16 AM
R
rmns2bseen Offline
R

Bach was paradoxically extremely innovative and forward-looking though within the established forms, mainly in terms of chromaticism. There's a video clip with Charles Rosen in some documentary (can't remember the name of it) in which he demonstrates this at the keyboard using the examples of the opening or closing chorus of the St Matthew Passion compared to the closing chorus of Handel's Theodora.

Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2940882 01/31/20 06:52 AM
S
Sidokar Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
It is very difficult to isolate the individual contribution of one composer. When looking at large shifts of style in music history, it is always related to a network of factors including social, economic and other surrounding arts. Mozart did not create his style out of the blue but was fed and influenced by other composers and previously existing technic.

So was Bach who worked essentially within the framework of the musical legacy of his german predecessors, themselves largely influenced by italian and french music (luth style and orchestral dances). The chromaticism of Bach music is actually lesser than many other composers before him like Schein, or Schutz (not speaking of the intense chromaticism of most italian composers of the early baroque period). The so called great composers demonstrated a superior talent in compositions, but to measure how much is due to their own contribution vs what they borrowed from other contemporaries or past composers is complicated, and then to rank it is even more difficult and very subjective.

In a sense if innovation includes perfecting a style one can say that Bach achieved a superior talent in developing at the highest level existing forms, which can be viewed as a form of innovation. In other areas like coming up with new structures and style, he would be ranked lower than other composers of his time or past times.

Re: Research finds Rachmaninoff was the most innovative composer [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2940893 01/31/20 08:15 AM
R
rmns2bseen Offline
R
Originally Posted by Sidokar
The chromaticism of Bach music is actually lesser than many other composers before him like Schein, or Schutz (not speaking of the intense chromaticism of most italian composers of the early baroque period).
Define "lesser". The importance of chromaticism in Bach is not for its own sake, but as a medium of expression. I can't think of any composer before him that's comparable in a consistent way. It was clarity and not necessarily chromaticism that was the Italian influence on Bach. Come to think of it, one innovation of Bach was fusing all those disparate regional styles while not going whole-hog Italianate like Handel.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
using CA for fix cracking jack
by Maximillyan - 04/06/20 01:03 AM
How to practice away from a piano?
by gtdpiano - 04/05/20 10:39 PM
What is the fate motif in Beethoven Sonatas? ?
by pianoloverus - 04/05/20 07:29 PM
Bach Inventions
by Moo :) - 04/05/20 06:26 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,943
Posts2,942,370
Members96,495
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission