2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
AB99 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I almost always prefer an acoustic piano for a grand piano sound. But it is not always affordable, not always capable of being in the room where I want to play it, it is not necessarily portable, not necessarily in tune, etc. And others make good points, that once you can get really close to an acoustic piano in so many ways, then digital also allows for a variety of other sounds and options.

I suppose eventually acoustic pianos will have more digital characteristics and digital pianos will have more acoustic characteristics.

I like Kougeru's post above - a lot!

Meanwhile, I think all the good answers of examples that exist to date, have already been provided in the posts of this thread, in digital form smile So, thank you.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Originally Posted by Burkie

You must have a cheap one... My C.Bechstein has a built-in heater to keep it dry. Be careful: if humidity and/or temperature fluctuates much then your sound board will warp and die. Constant climate control via 24/7/365 air conditioning is the best way to look after your acoustic. If you can afford a good piano, you can afford the electricity.

Reiterating: this is indeed a design limitation of acoustic pianos.

Curious that you don’t mention owning that instrument in your profile.

It arrives on Wednesday - I won it in a competition smile

Last edited by Burkie; 01/30/20 02:32 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Kougeru
a Large % of artist release their music purely off samples/digital pianos in the modern world and probably like 90+% of people can't tell a difference. So yeah, the main goal is already accomplished. I'd honestly love to get people on forums like this do a proper blind test some day. I would bet money that even the hardcore people of this forum would struggle with a lot of the highest end models , despite how confident everyone seems to be.

I was in a restaurant in Broome last year, and the jazz pianist was playing on a Yamaha CLP-665 (not even their current model CLP).

Everyone I asked thought it was a real baby grand. Even when I pointed out that it wasn't - they wouldn't believe me until I showed them it had no strings and a power light glowing red!

Last edited by Burkie; 01/30/20 02:40 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
You must have a cheap one... My C.Bechstein has a built-in heater to keep it dry.

Curious that you don’t mention owning that instrument in your profile.

Indeed.

"My other car is a Porsche" etc.

Ha ha . . my current one is a recycled Porsche . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
S
S
Originally Posted by Kougeru
a Large % of artist release their music purely off samples/digital pianos in the modern world and probably like 90+% of people can't tell a difference. So yeah, the main goal is already accomplished. I'd honestly love to get people on forums like this do a proper blind test some day. I would bet money that even the hardcore people of this forum would struggle with a lot of the highest end models , despite how confident everyone seems to be.

I was in a restaurant in Broome last year, and the jazz pianist was playing on a Yamaha CLP-665 (not even their current model CLP).

Everyone I asked thought it was a real baby grand. Even when I pointed out that it wasn't - they wouldn't believe me until I showed them it had no strings and a power light glowing red!

It's easy to forget how clueless people generally are. Plenty of people struggle to differentiate between real string recordings and 90s samples...

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by EssBrace

I had a Yamaha P-515 from November 12th until yesterday. I sold it after spending maybe about 30 minutes on it, possibly an hour at most (and it had sat there totally unplayed since November 13th - a significant date because that's the day my current acoustic arrived). It's a great portable digital piano.

Most people on here would disagree that the P-515 is a 'great' piano! It has short keys, and a heavy action. Almost any new acoustic piano will feel better than that.

Last edited by Burkie; 01/30/20 05:51 AM.

P
P

I was a weekend in an ‘all inclusive’ hotel and the drummer of the coverband faked half of the songs with ghost strokes while a drumtrack was played.
I couldn’t believe my eyes and ears, couldn’t believe the deceitful wannabe drummer...and i couldn’t believe how f’ing little the general publics seems to care and understand what true live music should be about.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

I had a Yamaha P-515 from November 12th until yesterday. I sold it after spending maybe about 30 minutes on it, possibly an hour at most (and it had sat there totally unplayed since November 13th - a significant date because that's the day my current acoustic arrived). It's a great portable digital piano.

Most people on here would disagree that the P-515 is a 'great' piano! It has short keys, and a heavy action. Almost any new acoustic piano will feel better than that.

I think there is at least some measure of consensus that the P-515 is a great portable digital piano; it is certainly fully competitive in its market segment. Many people here own one and many are satisfied with it. You certainly seem to think you speak for the majority on here so the satisfied P-515 owners and aspiring owners must all be wrong.

I think you should perhaps read this thread back to yourself.

You express opinions as hard facts, not just on this thread but in all others you contribute to. You made assumptions about my playing experience and piano ownership - all wrong - and yet you expressed those as if they were fact. You make statements based purely on your own (rather odd) opinions but you express them as absolutes. Then, in shall we say a rather unexpected turn of events, you kept on going; claiming to own a Bechstein but then stating it was yet to arrive having won it in a competition. A competition you entered, presumably hoping to win said Bechstein, despite the fact you don't seem to have very positive views about acoustic pianos?

I'm afraid all of this puts your credibility in a smidgen of doubt in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not alone in looking forward to seeing the pictures of you with your lovely Bechstein (the one you've won in that competition) and reading your detailed impressions of the instrument. I think I can speak for everyone here when I wish you a very long and rewarding relationship with the instrument. Speaking as a fellow Bechstein owner (I got mine the boring way), I do hope it was first prize? I wouldn't like to think it was the runner-up prize to a Johnny-come-lately Fazioli.

@EssBrace: As I began reading your last post I was inclined to reply: "Please ignore the troll."

But as I continued reading it became clear that no such advice was needed. So instead I'll say: "Thank you for slam-dunking the troll."

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
@EssBrace: As I began reading your last post I was inclined to reply: "Please ignore the troll."

But as I continued reading it became clear that no such advice was needed. So instead I'll say: "Thank you for slam-dunking the troll."

Morning Mac.

A troll you say? Heaven forfend - I hadn't even considered the possibility!

O
O
Originally Posted by sleutelbos

But if you have access to a decent grand piano there is no digital that can get anywhere near it, in any musical sense whatsoever.

Counterpoint: that depends on your goals. I am absolutely convinced that you can record via a DP with such quality the average listener would never, ever guess it wasn't a real grand piano. And that, to me, is ultimately the end goal.

That the experience of you, the musician, is different when sitting and playing is obviously true, and I agree I doubt a digital reproduction can ever fully replicate the intricacies of live acoustic sound.

Interestingly, when I got into listening to classical music I really didn't like orchestras... but liked piano only CDs...

...the first time I heard a live orchestra I was absolutely blown away! Converted instantly.

So, agreed - some things are just better in vivo. There's no real substitute for them in cyber-space!

Last edited by OscarRamsey; 01/30/20 07:42 AM.

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

I think there is at least some measure of consensus that the P-515 is a great portable digital piano; it is certainly fully competitive in its market segment.

Do you have any evidence for this?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

You express opinions as hard facts

Do feel free to elaborate instead of making unspecific baseless accusations.

Last edited by Burkie; 01/30/20 07:54 AM.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
You made assumptions about my playing experience and piano ownership

Now we know for sure that you're on the turps!
I never made any such assumptions - please provide the source of your mistaken beliefs.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
claiming to own a Bechstein but then stating it was yet to arrive having won it in a competition

I'm not sure what your point is here? I do own a Bechstein and it is arriving on Wednesday as I made crystal clear to you.
You seem to be having some troubles with your comprehension.

Last edited by Burkie; 01/30/20 08:01 AM.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
A competition you entered, presumably hoping to win said Bechstein, despite the fact you don't seem to have very positive views about acoustic pianos?

I'm afraid all of this puts your credibility in a smidgen of doubt in my opinion.

Wrong again - which has cremated your last glimmer of potential credibility beyond all possible hope of redemption.

I did not believe I had any chance of winning, so I suggest you - Mr I Love Putting Words Into Other People's Keyboards - stop digging a deeper grave for yourself every time you decide to make an outburst.

Last edited by Burkie; 01/30/20 08:12 AM.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not alone in looking forward to seeing the pictures of you with your lovely Bechstein (the one you've won in that competition).

My pleasure:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DDse1cNhy9j5U63u6

Last edited by Burkie; 01/30/20 08:21 AM.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
And it is with much bonafide gratitude that I thank all of the people who have given me advice on this forum (yes even you MacMacMac smile ).

It's due to researching pianos on this forum that Facebook advertising happened to feed me that competition advertisement last October. The piano gods have indeed smiled upon me smile

Now on a related 'note' (pardon the pun)... If anyone knows anyone in Singapore who might want a new C.Bechstein A124 please send them my way!

Last edited by Burkie; 01/30/20 08:42 AM.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not alone in looking forward to seeing the pictures of you with your lovely Bechstein (the one you've won in that competition).

My pleasure:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DDse1cNhy9j5U63u6

I would have sworn you were a troll. Congrats on winning that competition and on your wonderful new piano! Do you mind telling us a bit more about the competition, what music did you play, etc? BTW, I find your extreme and harsh attitude on this forum to be pretty annoying which is why I thought you were an anonymous troll. And I believe I'm not alone in that. You may need to think about that smile (And I agree someone can possibly say that to me as well.)

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

You express opinions as hard facts

Do feel free to elaborate instead of making unspecific baseless accusations.

Most of your NAMM predictions for product releases, which you repeated here ad nauseam, were wrong.
You won a competition (as in you played better than a field of other pianists), or you won a raffle (as in you dropped a slip of paper in a box)?

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission