2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
67 registered members (aphexdisklavier, Bill McKaig,RPT, clothearednincompo, CyberGene, danielp11, Bett, camperbc, 15 invisible), 530 guests, and 523 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Beginner piano group #2940202 01/29/20 11:09 AM
M
mostlystrings Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Ack! My (not piano) student wants to do a piano group class and I immediately thought of this forum's strong distaste for that kind of thing. Age 8-13 beginners, reading music and playing simple melodies, last half hour of the 2-hour class will apparently be organized as a choir, likely for the purpose of having something more musically satisfying than beginner method book content.

If my student were highly ambitious/motivated about piano, I would definitely push private lessons (not with me), but they are really just looking for something to do and the price, location, and schedule are right. I told them if the class turns out to be redundant or useless, at least we'll find what it was good or not good for, for when the next person is interested. (They previously had a good experience with an academic subject class; these are run by a local college in the community learning division.)

Is this what you term a "kiddie music program that irreparably damages beginner children for when they start learning piano 'for real'"? Of course I don't know what's in the class exactly but it surely can't be deeper than what I could (hypothetically) handle as a multi-instrument musician teaching piano as a child's second instrument. I'll have no student of mine needing severe remediation when moving on from me.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Beginner piano group [Re: mostlystrings] #2940313 01/29/20 03:06 PM
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
What book are you going to use?

Just be realistic about outcomes and don't set your expectations too high.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Beginner piano group [Re: mostlystrings] #2940325 01/29/20 03:43 PM
M
mostlystrings Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Sorry, I was unclear. I'm not starting a class and meant that the student wants to join one run by the local college. We'll find out after she goes what book they are using. I told the parent that whatever musical content the class is covering is most likely stuff I'm already teaching or can teach. They have seen "real piano playing" (from well-taught students and our ensemble class pianist who is a pro/teacher) so I did warn them to be realistic about what they would get from the class.

If they ended up wanting "real piano lessons" in the future, it doesn't seem to me that a few months in a group would be any more detrimental than what she has already been doing (experimenting on her own and reading via another instrument). Perhaps I don't know though because I've never worked with anyone who came out of group piano.

Re: Beginner piano group [Re: mostlystrings] #2940327 01/29/20 03:58 PM
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
There are good programs, bad programs, and awful programs. You can't tell unless you actually sit in and observe the stuff going on, or get a student who came out of the program.

Awful programs can damage the students beyond fixing. One such transfer has been with me over 2 years, and there are still things I need to fix, and "middle C position" problems still occasionally creep into her playing. Meanwhile, the boy who started lessons from scratch with me, who came to me six months after the girl, is already WAY past her, because there is nothing to correct and undo.

Time and money (and my sanity!) saved.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Beginner piano group [Re: mostlystrings] #2940357 01/29/20 05:33 PM
M
Mr Moto Offline
M
I can only speak not as a piano teacher but as a guitar and bass teacher. Over the years I received a few who had 'learned' in group lessons. In my opinion it was a shame what happened to them. None of them could read music nor did they know the neck of the guitar. Breaking old habits was nearly impossible unless the student was highly motivated. Years ago I took piano lessons and later realized the piano is the bedrock of music. Private lessons are absolutely the way to go.

Re: Beginner piano group [Re: mostlystrings] #2940412 01/29/20 10:04 PM
M
mostlystrings Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hmm okay, they know that I'm curious and will ask my student to report back. If there's something weird, I'll point it out. Some of my students do take private piano separately and I don't interfere with that* but a group class is fair game, I think.

*Except one time, I was working with two students on the Bach-Gounod Ave Maria. Both study both violin and piano but in this case, one was playing the Bach Prelude from an edition without the Schwencke measure and said that the piano teacher had said a certain thing. I forgot exactly what but it made no sense. For the sake of the music, I had to say, sorry, overruling your teacher, do it my way.

Even when I take transfer students with prior private lesson experience, it still takes at least a year before it feels like they are "my" student. It's almost easier with a "transfer" from group because I can say we're starting over, whereas with transfer from private, I have to at least acknowledge where they are (where they think they are) while going through all the stuff they missed because they didn't start with me. Differences between instruments, I suppose.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hardman Petite Grand or Yamaha T116?
by Mattster55 - 02/16/20 11:42 AM
Headphone you use?
by 36251 - 02/16/20 10:39 AM
kawai es8 v roland fp90 - help - sound v feel
by big-vern - 02/16/20 10:11 AM
96000 And Still Growing!
by Piano World - 02/16/20 10:10 AM
Cavendish pianos - has anyone ever tried one?
by williambonard - 02/16/20 05:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,990
Posts2,926,146
Members96,005
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission