Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
How It All Really Began
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
99 registered members (ando, anotherscott, Alexander Borro, akc42, 23 invisible), 1,355 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How to transport a (baby) grand? #29374
08/21/07 01:06 AM
08/21/07 01:06 AM
NYC
D
ducowti Offline OP
ducowti  Offline OP
D
NYC
Completely new to pianos and am buying used I think and wondering how best to transpo. Only going a few miles on a trailer - I guess remove the legs and pedestal w.pedals?

Also, what's the cost range for a tuneup?

Thanks for your replies!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29375
08/21/07 01:19 AM
08/21/07 01:19 AM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Online blank

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Monica K.  Online Blank

Lexington, Kentucky
Spend the couple hundred bucks to have it professionally moved. Trust me. It will be the best money you ever spent.

Average tuning costs will vary according to the local market; I'm not sure what it is in NYC; in much of the country it's about $75-$100 for a simple tuning. If you're buying a used grand that hasn't been tuned in quite a while, the piano could require a pitch raise or other maintenance which would increase the time needed and hence cost.

Congratulations on your new piano! What did you get?

Mason & Hamlin A -- 91997
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29376
08/21/07 01:22 AM
08/21/07 01:22 AM
NYC
D
ducowti Offline OP
ducowti  Offline OP
D
NYC
Originally posted by Monica K.:
Spend the couple hundred bucks to have it professionally moved.

Congratulations on your new piano! What did you get?
I'm sure you're right about that. I don't even know what kind it is, nor does current owner. It was refinished years ago and the refinisher didn't replace the badge. It's relatively inexpensive though so it's a risk I'm willing to take for now anyway.

Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29377
08/21/07 01:27 AM
08/21/07 01:27 AM
Gainesville, GA - Northeast Ge...
B
buranto Offline
buranto  Offline
B
Gainesville, GA - Northeast Ge...
Howdy! You should consider calling a professional to move the piano for you or see if the person selling it can provide delivery.

Moving a grand piano requires specialized equipment and experience using it. No matter how far you transport it, you will have to get it from the current location to the truck/trailer and from the truck/trailer to the new location.

It will be VERY DIFFICULT if you have never done this before. You can damage the piano, the surroundings, and yourself.

A used piano may need more than just a simple tuning. Have a tech look at it before you buy it and tell you what it needs and how much it will cost.

Brant Barron

Lancaster Piano Company
Gainesville, GA

Established 1949

www.LancasterPiano.com
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29378
08/21/07 01:35 AM
08/21/07 01:35 AM
NYC
D
ducowti Offline OP
ducowti  Offline OP
D
NYC
Good point about a used's condition - I'll see what a tech will cost to send over to check it out. I know it'll def need some compressed air to knock the dust out of it!

Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29379
08/21/07 01:49 AM
08/21/07 01:49 AM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Online blank

Monica K.  Online Blank

Lexington, Kentucky
Once you get it, there's a lot of smart people here (not me) who could probably figure out what your piano is if you post some photos of it, especially some close-ups of the pinblock and plate areas.

Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29380
08/21/07 01:53 AM
08/21/07 01:53 AM
Philadelphia
ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
ftp  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Philadelphia
You want three strong people with brains and significant experience. Remember a damaged piano, wall or floor may only cost a few hundred to repair but hurting yourself or others could be very regrettable. It's not like moving a giant couch or big furniture.

Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29381
08/21/07 02:08 AM
08/21/07 02:08 AM
NYC
D
ducowti Offline OP
ducowti  Offline OP
D
NYC
Here's a crappy pic of it, on the off chance someone may recognize and be able to identify it confused [Linked Image]

Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29382
08/21/07 02:22 AM
08/21/07 02:22 AM
USA
Pianolicious Offline
Pianolicious  Offline
USA
Pianos are hard enough to move in a trailer for a professional. I don't recommend it, especially if you are a novice. Pianos have funky balance points and if they get a few degrees off center, then WHAM.

Steinway M
Roland AT90R

Now Voyager, sail thou forth to seek and find. --Walt Whitman
Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29383
08/21/07 03:04 AM
08/21/07 03:04 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Georgia, USA
Hi,

If you are stubborn like me, find at least two more strong guys to help; first, remove the lyre and pedals; then, lay a heavy quilt/blanket on the floor along the longest side (left side) of the piano; have the two other guys pick up on the left side while you remove the left leg; slowly let the piano down on its side (after you move out from under it); continue to tilt the piano upright on its side; wrap the quilt/blanket around the piano to protect it from scaring/scratching; now that the piano is on its side, remove the other two legs(numbering them appropriately); pick up one side of the now vertical piano and set a wheeled furniture dolly underneath and centered (preferably use a grand piano skid and dolly). You can now roll it out to the trailer and tie it down good.

If you really want my honest advice, follow the advice of the others here and hire a professional piano mover. It will be the best $250 to $350 you ever spent. Have you priced a hernia repair lately?

Good luck with it and congratulations on the new-to-you piano.

Rickster

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29384
08/21/07 08:15 AM
08/21/07 08:15 AM
North Hollywood CA.
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member
pianobroker  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
North Hollywood CA.
From the pic it looks like a vintage Steinway S or M. The music leaf is definitely a Steinway design.
If it is not a Steinway it is a Steinway copy of the twenties or thirties. It may be a Kurztman,Steinert or ?
The bench is an aftermarket asian bench made in south Korea (old style Samick)

As for tuneups, it depends on if it is a 4 or 6 cylinder and whether you change the wires and set the timing to 440 or 442. Some mechanics /techs tune with an electronic tuner or by ear. The best mechanics can tune by ear and than proceed to take it out for a test drive. Adjusting the pedals is an important procedure in that the shift pedal sometimes gets stuck in between gears.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29385
08/21/07 12:02 PM
08/21/07 12:02 PM
NYC
D
ducowti Offline OP
ducowti  Offline OP
D
NYC
Originally posted by pianobroker:
From the pic it looks like a vintage Steinway S or M. The music leaf is definitely a Steinway design.
If it is not a Steinway it is a Steinway copy of the twenties or thirties. It may be a Kurtman,Steinert or ?
The bench is an aftermarket asian bench made in south Korea (old style Samick)

Thanks for the info - this is how to learn! Assuming good condition what would some of your seasoned guestimates range of value be if it were
1. an old Steinway or
2. a copy of lesser repute?
...understanding of course that it's difficult to accurately respond to that, given one poor quality picture and no other info about it frown

Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29386
08/21/07 12:35 PM
08/21/07 12:35 PM
Tomball, Texas
J
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member
John Pels  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Tomball, Texas
Rickster, I might add that if it is to be moved without a piano board on its side, which I don't recommend, remove the hinges and lid. Since the hinges extend beyond the case, the usual result is to break the hinge out of the rim, when the weight of the piano is absorbed by them. If you have access to a piano board and dolly, this is doable, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it. The piano size appears to be in the under 6' variety, so the weight is not excessive, but it would be nice to have done this once before to avoid certain pitfalls. Remove the music desk and shoot a picture of the plate including the pin area. The music desk reminds me of some Webers.

Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29387
08/21/07 01:39 PM
08/21/07 01:39 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Online blank

Monica K.  Online Blank

Lexington, Kentucky
Does anybody else here remember the time we had a poster asking about how to move a piano, and we all strenuously urged him to hire professionals, but he did it himself anyway and came back the next day to post that the piano fell off the trailer????? I believe the exact words he used were "You guys were right..."

ducowti, please, the risks of damage to the piano and injury to you and your friends is just too high. Please invest the money to have it moved safely.

p.s. to pianolicious: Welcome to the forum! wink

Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29388
08/21/07 02:58 PM
08/21/07 02:58 PM
NYC
D
ducowti Offline OP
ducowti  Offline OP
D
NYC
Originally posted by Monica K.:

ducowti, please, the risks of damage to the piano and injury to you and your friends is just too high. Please invest the money to have it moved safely.
Already have a guy scheduled to check it out this afternoon. He'll also be the one to move it.

Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29389
08/21/07 03:54 PM
08/21/07 03:54 PM
Tomball, Texas
J
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member
John Pels  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Tomball, Texas
A lot of naysayers on this forum. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, or at least in my misspent youth, I was in grad school. I found a "great deal" on a baby grand. I went to the tech at my alma mater and asked "How do I move a piano?" He went on to explain the procedure. Like most forum members, I have an IQ over 120 and am able to take instruction well. I am not a particularly big guy, being 5'5" and 150lbs., same weight as in college. I got another couple of my friends in college, also 150 or under to help. I rented a Uhaul trailer,got the piano on the board as instructed and moved it into our apartment with NO issues. I still have some pix to prove it.Having 3 adults to move a little 5'2" grand, we were overmanned. Can things go wrong? Heck yes, but if I was ruled by perpetual fear of what I might not be able to do, I would accomplish nothing, learn nothing, and pay out the wazoo for everything on the planet. Personally I think we owe it to ourselves to do as many things as we can, and seek advice from those that have accomplished some of the things we have an interest in. In many cases the cost of moving old pianos equals or exceeds the cost of the instrument. If I feared the Tchaikowsky Concerto, Liszt 6th Rhapsody, Beethoven Op.57 among others, I never would have learned them. Luckily I didn't have a bunch of naysayers telling me that I couldn't learn them, consequently I did. I can assure you that playing any of those pieces was INFINITELY more difficult than moving a small grand. The U.S.of A. used to be a can-do bunch. What's going on here?

Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29390
08/21/07 04:19 PM
08/21/07 04:19 PM
NYC
D
ducowti Offline OP
ducowti  Offline OP
D
NYC
Originally posted by John Pels:
The U.S.of A. used to be a can-do bunch. What's going on here?
Good response John, and I'm glad you voiced your position thumb . I, like it seems you, tend to assume I can do most things myself after doing some research and that's why I posted here, to learn the caveats and what's involved. heck after losing patience waiting for help to mount my 50" plasma I grabbed that sum-b and threw it up on the wall solo. Without bodily or TV harm!

Anyway, I certainly appreciate the varied replies and concern for body and piano (though I suspect the latter is driving the replies laugh ). I will most likely pay someone to do it since I've used up my friend-moving-capital w.my recent home move frown

Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29391
08/21/07 04:59 PM
08/21/07 04:59 PM
Westchester, NY
Mike Ford Offline
Mike Ford  Offline
Westchester, NY
Definitely pay professionals to move it for you.

Mike Ford - Ford Piano Inc. Since 1897
Over 100 years and four generations of exquisite piano rebuilding.

15 S. Division Street
Peekskill, NY 10566
Tel. 914-739-1224

http://www.FordPiano.com
New & Rebuilt Pianos For Sale
Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29392
08/21/07 05:06 PM
08/21/07 05:06 PM
North Hollywood CA.
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member
pianobroker  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
North Hollywood CA.
ducowti
Moving a piano,even a grand is not a rocket science (if no steps or turns) though it is a risky proposition and a drag if a mishap occurs.
If the finish is in nice shape which it appears to be,$ for professional touchup(upon a mishap) would have payed for the move. By the time you spring for the trailer, 2 large pizzas, case of beer for your friends you could have hired the piano movers.I agree with John Pels, if moving a grand it is mandatory to use a skidboard "Rent one if you have to"

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29393
08/21/07 05:11 PM
08/21/07 05:11 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Victoria, BC
I side with all those who advocate the use of a professional mover.

On the other hand, why not do it yourself, anyway, take videos to share with us, and, well, they'll be more interesting to watch than the usual daily TV fare from your hospital bed ... laugh

Do it really well, and you might be a winner in America's Funniest Home Videos; isn't the top prize there $100,000.00? Think how may pianos you could buy and movers you could hire with that!

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29394
08/21/07 09:35 PM
08/21/07 09:35 PM
Massachusetts
Jeffo Offline
Jeffo  Offline
Massachusetts
I moved our piano from Maine to Massachusetts a number of years ago using an enclosed trailer that the Piano could stand up on it's side in with 5 men on each end of the move. Would never do it again! As a matter of fact, I paid movers to take it to the rebuild shop and deliver it back. My back has been thanking me ever since!

1874 Grotrian-Stienweg Chambre Grand: rebuild completed 9/14/2004
Click for Rebuild Pictures
Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29395
08/21/07 11:29 PM
08/21/07 11:29 PM
NYC
D
ducowti Offline OP
ducowti  Offline OP
D
NYC
Just returned from the tech inspection of this and it needs
-new (or refiled) hammers
-3 tunes
-key adjustment (Forgot the term he used)
He gave me some #s including that for a move ($300) so I'll have to negotiate before buying. Overall though a decent used piece worthy of the noted attention.

Thanks again for all your replies!

Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29396
08/21/07 11:42 PM
08/21/07 11:42 PM
California
B
brian13 Offline
brian13  Offline
B
California
Originally posted by John Pels:
A lot of naysayers on this forum. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, or at least in my misspent youth, I was in grad school. I found a "great deal" on a baby grand. I went to the tech at my alma mater and asked "How do I move a piano?" He went on to explain the procedure. Like most forum members, I have an IQ over 120 and am able to take instruction well. I am not a particularly big guy, being 5'5" and 150lbs., same weight as in college. I got another couple of my friends in college, also 150 or under to help. I rented a Uhaul trailer,got the piano on the board as instructed and moved it into our apartment with NO issues. I still have some pix to prove it.Having 3 adults to move a little 5'2" grand, we were overmanned. Can things go wrong? Heck yes, but if I was ruled by perpetual fear of what I might not be able to do, I would accomplish nothing, learn nothing, and pay out the wazoo for everything on the planet. Personally I think we owe it to ourselves to do as many things as we can, and seek advice from those that have accomplished some of the things we have an interest in. In many cases the cost of moving old pianos equals or exceeds the cost of the instrument. If I feared the Tchaikowsky Concerto, Liszt 6th Rhapsody, Beethoven Op.57 among others, I never would have learned them. Luckily I didn't have a bunch of naysayers telling me that I couldn't learn them, consequently I did. I can assure you that playing any of those pieces was INFINITELY more difficult than moving a small grand. The U.S.of A. used to be a can-do bunch. What's going on here?
well, i can sit here and say, " why put a seat belt on me when im just going around the corner to the supermarket and back in my car..i came back in one piece"

if you speak in hindsight you can say any boastful thing, but we are talking about safety and doing it the right way.
im pretty sure most of us can do it ourselves but 1 out of 10 tries someone will get hurt or break something, and that is not wise. no one wants to be that 1 out of 10.

plus, you speak in absolutes, sure , you can make any argument out of anything. go be play tchaikovsky, go learn art, go become an engineer or astronaut, but that is irrelevant to the advise given here to the advice seeker when we say do it safely and hire professional hands.

Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29397
08/22/07 12:13 AM
08/22/07 12:13 AM
Canada
SCCDoug Offline
500 Post Club Member
SCCDoug  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Canada
In a way I agree with John. In my youth I moved many pianos. My old Mason & Risch journeyed all over the city in the back of a half ton. I moved a square grand three times that was unbelievably heavy, and once required the disassembly of a stair case to move, and another time the removal of a picture window. It really depends on your risk aversion. I wouldn't bother to get movers for a $1,000 piano, but would for sure for a $10,000 piano.

Doug

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29398
08/22/07 02:40 AM
08/22/07 02:40 AM
Tomball, Texas
J
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member
John Pels  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Tomball, Texas
I move my concert grand every year for my students' recital. Of course at this point, it is better practiced. The pianos values well exceed the $10K figure. I moved it "the right way" 28 years ago, and I continue to do so. My analogy is apt. If one has fear of every darned thing, one will do nothing. For most of my life, I have played out my "island scenario." In other words, if I was stuck on an island, and the only way to get off involved doing (pick your task), would I get off the island. I get satisfaction out of solving whatever the problem is and "getting off the island". So yes Brian, I speak in absolutes. I guess I could have paid someone to rebuild my first piano as well. Instead I opted to learn how, which is good because on a teacher's salary, I could not have afforded the instruments that I own. I am not inclined to boast. I know things, which I am happy to impart to anyone that asks. My personality is analytic and driver. I get things done, and I am not inclined to accept many excuses least of all from myself. Without sounding like Forrest Gump, my Mom was inclined to say "Can't is a giant that doesn't live here!" I have taken that to heart.

As far as professionals go, they too have accidents moving pianos. I DID pay movers to move my daughter's upright upstairs. They put the piano through the wall on the landing of our first set of stairs. I have fixed pianos dropped off of trucks by pros. I'm not big on the "let George do it mentality".

There are reasons why our society is declining. We are fat and lazy! Everyone is afraid of everything and doing much of anything. I DO have an acquaintance that moves pianos. He has been moving pianos for 30 years. He moves ANYTHING up to 7' by himself. There is something quite marvelous in watching a guy lift a piano board of a 6' or better piano with one hand and sliding the dolly under with the other. No fat on that guy! He won't move concert grands because he has to split the proceeds with another guy and in the same amount of time he claims that he can move 3 regular sized grands. I'm sure that to Brian, if he heard it from the mover it would be an idle boast. I have seen him do it on more than one occasion. It's a shame that ducowti is in NYC rather than Houston, otherwise I would have been happy to help him move it.

Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29399
08/22/07 04:49 AM
08/22/07 04:49 AM
Las Vegas
Vince in Vegas Offline
Vince in Vegas  Offline
Las Vegas
All right Dam it! I'll be the first member of the J. Pels fan club. Dude you rock!

Our society has let perfectly good trades become for "those who can't do any better" or the occupations of second class "citizens" WHAT A SHAME! There is as much art in a well constructed fence, a beautiful landscape, a finely tuned automobile as any sonata!

Three cheers for Pels a kindred spirit indeed...that's it I'm going to get that used piano and roll up my sleeves.

Re: How to transport a (baby) grand? #29400
08/22/07 10:44 AM
08/22/07 10:44 AM
Singapore
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member
snoopycar  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Singapore
i can move a upright piano my self... it a pearl river 3octave mini piano laugh

but seriously it's really amazing to know 1 person can move a 6' grand - simply olympical.
master of leverage n gravity!!

Hailun dealer in Johor Bahru base in Ulu Tiram
Genio Silent system installer
Piano Tuner tech +65 90228720 Singapore & JB 012 7702587

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
A few of the many new items we've added to our online store.
(PianoSupplies.com is a division of Piano World)
wrap around sunglasses with music notes
Wrap around sun glasses with music notes

88 keys, 10 fingers, no problem
88 Keys, 10 Fingers, No Problem

Bass Clef Hat
Bass Clef Hat

Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Vladimir Horowitz - private 1950 acetate recording!
by Mikhail Kaykov. 07/19/18 09:50 AM
Getting the "Feel" of an acoustic
by akc42. 07/19/18 01:50 AM
Warranty for Kawai digital Piano
by vkhandelwal. 07/19/18 01:44 AM
Reactive visualizer?
by Mta88. 07/19/18 01:31 AM
Killing insects in a piano freezing them?
by QPS. 07/18/18 09:04 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,490
Posts2,732,874
Members90,597
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission