2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
28 registered members (dng, AZNpiano, 3am_stargazing, Dieci990, AB99, amyram, David B, ando, 7 invisible), 401 guests, and 438 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yamaha YUS5 vs bechstein k116 vs Schimmel k122 #2939599 01/28/20 07:39 AM
B
Blumenstein Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello world,

I want to acquire a new piano. However, I hesitate between three piano which are:
1) Yamaha YUS 5 silent SH for 10'000 CHF (I don't know the serial number yet but it was bought new in a specialized store in 2017) and I'm not sur but the "SH" stand for the type of silent that is used and not the production category "H" (1970-1980) ?
2) C. Bechstein k116 millenium model 2010 for 9000CHF (I don't know the serial number yet but it was bought new in a store specialized in 2010)
3) Schimmel k122 model 2010 for 7000 CHF (produced btw. 1999 and 2000)
These are all occasions in very good conditions.

I know that in the end it is a personal matter but I would like to have some advice or lived experiences concerning these brands.

Also, is the Bechstein k116 roughly equivalent to a YUS5 in terms of quality ?
If I am not mistaken, the schimmel k122 is of lesser quality, right ?

Lately, I don't know much about the W. Hoffmann brand. Would the W.Hoffmann t122 ​​or V-132 be of better quality?

Thank you a lot for your advices !

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Yamaha YUS5 vs bechstein k116 vs Schimmel k122 [Re: Blumenstein] #2939616 01/28/20 08:24 AM
J
joe80 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
The SH is definitely the silent system and not designating a production year of 1970-1980 since the YUS5 was only introduced in something like 2010.

I don't think the Schimmel K122 is lesser quality, since the K series is Schimmel's highest quality line designed to compete with the C. Bechstein Concert series.

Which piano do you like the best? Out of the three, C. Bechstein has the reputation of being the 'highest' quality, but it's also the smallest piano. The Yamaha YUS5 has the reputation of being the most 'run of the mill' of the brands, but a YUS5 is a high-spec model introduced to strike a balance of being as premium quality as a mid-price piano would allow. By mid-price we're still talking around £10,000 for an upright piano which puts it firmly in the higher quality price range. The Schimmel is probably the least well-known but it's a good brand in its own right. The K-series uprights use grand piano scaling in the top two sections (not in the bass), and has an excellent sound and touch. I find Schimmel pianos sing exceptionally well in the treble.

If all three of these pianos are in equally good condition it's really not a matter of one being better than the other, it's merely a matter of preference. I'm kind of leaning towards the Yamaha because it's the tallest of the three, and has an excellent design and action, but the silent systems always kind of put me off so there's a compromise there too.

Re: Yamaha YUS5 vs bechstein k116 vs Schimmel k122 [Re: joe80] #2939623 01/28/20 08:58 AM
B
Blumenstein Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you a lot joe80 for your infos. I'm also not a big fan of the silent system but in this case I've not the choice but what do you mean by:
Originally Posted by joe80
I'm kind of leaning towards the Yamaha because it's the tallest of the three, and has an excellent design and action, but the silent systems always kind of put me off so there's a compromise there too.
Does the silent system affect the piano or just the design of the piano ?

For the rest, I really like the sound of the YUS5 but I've never tested a Schimmel nor a Bechstein. Will the touch of the yamaha YUS5 be closer to the feeling of a grand piano since it is longer (131cm, 51,5 inches)? I'm going to try these pianos this weekend. I will tell you news.

Does someone else have some advices ?

Re: Yamaha YUS5 vs bechstein k116 vs Schimmel k122 [Re: Blumenstein] #2939628 01/28/20 09:14 AM
L
LarryK Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Blumenstein
Thank you a lot joe80 for your infos. I'm also not a big fan of the silent system but in this case I've not the choice but what do you mean by:
Originally Posted by joe80
I'm kind of leaning towards the Yamaha because it's the tallest of the three, and has an excellent design and action, but the silent systems always kind of put me off so there's a compromise there too.
Does the silent system affect the piano or just the design of the piano ?

For the rest, I really like the sound of the YUS5 but I've never tested a Schimmel nor a Bechstein. Will the touch of the yamaha YUS5 be closer to the feeling of a grand piano since it is longer (131cm, 51,5 inches)? I'm going to try these pianos this weekend. I will tell you news.

Does someone else have some advices ?

My understanding from reading other threads is that the silent system increases the let off distance slightly. The let off is the point at which the hammer is in free motion towards the string. By doing this, it becomes harder to play as softly as on a piano that does not have the silent system. Some people say they can feel the difference, some say they cannot. You can't see the difference in the action unless you play the same model of piano with and without the silent system.

I have a Yamaha DYUS1 on order, which is a YUS1 with Disklavier player mechanism and silent system. At the moment, I'm renting a Yamaha U1 that has a silent system. I don't use the silent system much and don't really like it. I'm hoping that the silent system on the DYUS1 is better than the aftermarket one I have now. The one I have now has rubber contact switches under the keys in order to sense velocity. The DYUS1 uses grayscale flags and is a non-contact system.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Yamaha YUS5 vs bechstein k116 vs Schimmel k122 [Re: Blumenstein] #2939636 01/28/20 09:33 AM
B
Blumenstein Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you for the explanations larryK !

Does someone else want to share something interesting about his feeling when speaking about silent system or "the better piano ^^ (it's a joke) " between yamaha YUS5, bechstein k116 and Schimmel k122 ?

Re: Yamaha YUS5 vs bechstein k116 vs Schimmel k122 [Re: Blumenstein] #2939676 01/28/20 10:42 AM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Take the one you like !
I would rather take the Schimmel or the Bechstein, (sigh ) everyone here knew
I would say that .
The Schimmel being a little taller would have a bigger soundboard, longer strings
so better resonance. (theoretically )
Saying that the shorter Bechstein has probably surprised you with its tonal qualities
and its response. I have not tried the K series Schimmel, (only the classic) or the 116
Bechstein .(only the Elegance 122 (124?) and the K8 )

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawaik500 price
by Morgrob - 02/21/20 10:30 PM
When to practice with pedal?
by baudelairepianist - 02/21/20 09:12 PM
Pure 12th aural tuning sequence
by TimM_980 - 02/21/20 08:41 PM
YUYS5 TA2 vs GC1 TA2
by SNkeys - 02/21/20 07:33 PM
Kawai piano 35 yo
by Love4Music - 02/21/20 06:37 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,111
Posts2,928,476
Members96,066
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission