2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 12 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2939001 01/26/20 11:14 PM
ebonyk Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I started Chopin’s Nocturne in C-sharp minor today. God help me. 😂😂😂

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
A
A
I can't even imagine getting to the point where I could play a Chopin nocturne! Maybe in 10 years! lol I feel like that about Chopin's Waltz in A minor which my teacher says I can start to learn now, but it is terrifying! Those left hand jumps are so scary!

Amy
Beginner
Kawai CA 79
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That is a nice piece.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I started the same Nocturne a few weeks ago! Want to start a "study group" here? I'd love to have someone to commiserate with wink And compare practice ideas, dealing with tough passages (many, many tough passages...), etc.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Amykpiano
I can't even imagine getting to the point where I could play a Chopin nocturne! Maybe in 10 years! lol I feel like that about Chopin's Waltz in A minor which my teacher says I can start to learn now, but it is terrifying! Those left hand jumps are so scary!

Welcome to PW, Amykpiano! It may not be so far in the future for you. Waltz in A min is RCM level 6 and Nocturne in C# min is RCM level 9. So 3 years + or - ?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
ebonyk Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member

It’s all scary until you finally conquer it, and then that gives you the courage to go forward. All we can do is keep trying!

ebonyk Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Chrispy
I started the same Nocturne a few weeks ago! Want to start a "study group" here? I'd love to have someone to commiserate with wink And compare practice ideas, dealing with tough passages (many, many tough passages...), etc.

If you want to, sure! I have a bunch of other things that I’m playing along with this one, so I thought to take this piece nice and slow and really get it down as I move along through it. But I’ll absolutely post whatever insight, LOL, that I might get. Which probably won’t be a lot. 😂

ebonyk Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Welcome to PW, Amykpiano! It may not be so far in the future for you. Waltz in A min is RCM level 6 and Nocturne in C# min is RCM level 9. So 3 years + or - ?

This will be a bit of a stretch for me, but after the mazurka that I played this past summer, I’m feeling mildly confident. Sort of? I don’t know, we’ll see!

A
A
Thanks so much for the welcome Tyrone! I'm not sure if my teacher is correct when she says I can play the Chopin Waltz. lol She has more confidence in me than I do in myself! I have only been playing for a little over a year, although I played for a short time as a child. I'm definitely not level 6 though! Maybe level 2-3.

Thank you also Lisa! I agree, when I think of how far I've come since last year at this time, it's pretty amazing! Good luck to you with the Nocturne! I hope I can join you in a 5 years! smile I love Chopin's pieces!

Amy
Beginner
Kawai CA 79
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Thanks so much for the welcome Tyrone! I'm not sure if my teacher is correct when she says I can play the Chopin Waltz. lol She has more confidence in me than I do in myself! I have only been playing for a little over a year, although I played for a short time as a child. I'm definitely not level 6 though! Maybe level 2-3.

Aha! So your teacher was already assigning you a "stretch" piece with Waltz in A min. Good luck with it! I'm sure your teacher will help you through the rough spots. smile

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you also Lisa! I agree, when I think of how far I've come since last year at this time, it's pretty amazing! Good luck to you with the Nocturne! I hope I can join you in a 5 years! smile I love Chopin's pieces!

I started the Waltz in A minor about 1 year after starting lessons (never having taken any, and starting at age 46), it took me a good 6 months to get to barely performance level, but I learned so much from it! I spent many hours just playing single measures of the left hand to get those jumps down. But what ebonykawai said, "It’s all scary until you finally conquer it, and then that gives you the courage to go forward." is so true. Now, when I find music with those kinds of jumps in it, they don't faze me at all. Indeed, it opened up a world of possibilities, and I was really proud that something that seemed impossible when I started became manageable.

Now, almost 4 years in I'm working on the Chopin Nocturne. It's got some challenges, but I know with hard work, I'll overcome them. Some of the challenges:

- 3 against 2 rhythms
- Reading the piece, especially during the modulations, with the double sharps and other accidentals
- The really fast scales at the end
- Chords that change almost every measure and don't repeat themselves in the same form very often

I'll get them though!

So anyway, tackle that Waltz! I think you'll find that you don't need 10 years before you can play the Nocturne laugh

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
A
A
Thank you both Tyrone and Chrispy again for the encouragement! I will give it a shot. I can play the first part painfully slowly after a few days but I have to start somewhere! 😆 I also restarted playing at 46! I guess that’s the perfect age to begin!

Amy
Beginner
Kawai CA 79
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
its a beautiful piece, good luck

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Wow, good luck! I love the nocturnes!

A few weeks ago, my wife and I were sitting at the dinner table and we were listening to the nocturnes as performed by Bruno Rigutto, from his CD. I like his playing a lot. Anyway, my wife asked me how long before I could play the nocturnes! I blanched, and said, years, years.

So, I hit on the idea of cheating with a Yamaha DYUS1 Disklavier, a solenoid-based player piano, hahaha. She’s in for a surprise. Now, I just have to figure out who has recorded the most beautiful rendition of the nocturnes on the Disklavier.

I figure the Disklavier will cost as much as the lessons to play a single nocturne. So be it. I’ll pay for both things.

Last edited by LarryK; 01/27/20 03:26 AM.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
It's one of my pieces for 2020 - I learned no. 21 in C minor last year, which is easier. A nice introduction to Chopin's style (the real Chopin, after the easiest preludes and a few other 1-page pieces). I still can't play it well, but I learned a lot of things through it. I liked it much better than the A minor waltz, though, which has always been a struggle for me.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Welcome @AmyKPiano.

I've been at the C#Minor post Nocturne now for not quite six months. There are still some rough patches, mostly to do with the polyrhythms and then the long up and down run near the end. I'm still working on that last bit to get it up to speed. I do like how I have managed to get it to sound otherwise. It is a gorgeous piece.

@sinophilia I had not realised there was an easier nocturne, I thought the C#Minor was it.

That means there is yet another piece (YAP) I can add to my collection of pieces to learn.

@ebonykawai You will do well with it I know.

Last edited by KevinM; 01/27/20 04:23 AM.
T
T
It´s a beautiful piece, I´ve listened to it many times.

Even though this piece does not have so many technical difficulties requiring virtuosic technique, the runs at the end will probably constitute a barrier for the vast majority of intermediate students.
I like Rousseau´s interpretation very much, listen to the perfect scale run at 3:30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqpPRj6UZqc

It probably takes many many years of serious practice to get this kind of control over the runs. I´ve heard so many people slow down during the runs or it gets sloppy and very uneven (maybe I am too spoiled by this version by Rousseau lol).

Good luck.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
You can feel free to start a group, but you might also want to take a look here:
Chopin Nocturne C Sharp Minor Study Group as we did this last year and there are some nice tips and thoughts in here.

Good luck with this piece - it’s really beautiful. I returned to it a few weeks ago and although would have to relearn some of it, it comes back much more quickly the second time! I’ll be happy to offer some more thoughts as you go. Don’t be afraid of it, just take it one section at a time.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Chrispy, regarding those fast runs, just play them really slowly, and every day, while you learn the rest. Don’t save them for the end or they’ll haunt you as you’re nearly finished and can’t get them right! Speed them up ever so gradually. They take a while to build up, so I suggest you begin with them while learning the rest. Just play them about 10 times a day. It’ll only take a minute or two once you’ve learned them.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
ebonyk Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
its a beautiful piece, good luck
. Thank you!
Originally Posted by LarryK
Wow, good luck! I love the nocturnes!

A few weeks ago, my wife and I were sitting at the dinner table and we were listening to the nocturnes as performed by Bruno Rigutto, from his CD. I like his playing a lot. Anyway, my wife asked me how long before I could play the nocturnes! I blanched, and said, years, years.

So, I hit on the idea of cheating with a Yamaha DYUS1 Disklavier, a solenoid-based player piano, hahaha. She’s in for a surprise. Now, I just have to figure out who has recorded the most beautiful rendition of the nocturnes on the Disklavier.

I figure the Disklavier will cost as much as the lessons to play a single nocturne. So be it. I’ll pay for both things.

Disklavier is awesome, that's so great!

Originally Posted by Tom97
It´s a beautiful piece, I´ve listened to it many times.

Even though this piece does not have so many technical difficulties requiring virtuosic technique, the runs at the end will probably constitute a barrier for the vast majority of intermediate students.
I like Rousseau´s interpretation very much, listen to the perfect scale run at 3:30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqpPRj6UZqc

It probably takes many many years of serious practice to get this kind of control over the runs. I´ve heard so many people slow down during the runs or it gets sloppy and very uneven (maybe I am too spoiled by this version by Rousseau lol).

Good luck.

Thanks for this, I'm sure it will be super helpful!

Originally Posted by cmb13
You can feel free to start a group, but you might also want to take a look here:
Chopin Nocturne C Sharp Minor Study Group as we did this last year and there are some nice tips and thoughts in here.

Good luck with this piece - it’s really beautiful. I returned to it a few weeks ago and although would have to relearn some of it, it comes back much more quickly the second time! I’ll be happy to offer some more thoughts as you go. Don’t be afraid of it, just take it one section at a time.

Excellent, thank, you!

Yes, I've finally learned how to reply to more than one at a time. 😂😂😂 Thanks everyone!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission