2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Spring Into Sound Sale
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, brdwyguy, anotherscott, c++, AndyOnThePiano, Bill McKaig,RPT, 17 invisible), 454 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by LarryK

Why would you assume that someone in her 30s, who plays as well as she plays, has given up on the idea of being known as a virtuoso pianist? If this is the case, it seems to me that she has given up on decades of growth as a musician. I quote this commencement address by Lynn Harell a lot, but I love it, so here it is again:

Perhaps I should have speculated that she guessed that there was a decent chance she was not going to be able to make a long term living out of being a virtuouso pianist. So she decided to take a timeout to make some money now so she could pursue being a virtuoso pianist whilst being financially secure. Who knows and that is the problem with this game.

Your judgements are harsh without knowing or understanding her circumstances. I am just trying to provide alternatives to you to suggest that you cannot know or understand her circumstances and yet you are harshly judgemental which is toxic.

Last edited by KevinM; 01/25/20 01:42 PM.
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KevinM

Why would you assume that someone in her 30s, who plays as well as she plays, has given up on the idea of being known as a virtuoso pianist? If this is the case, it seems to me that she has given up on decades of growth as a musician. I quote this commencement address by Lynn Harell a lot, but I love it, so here it is again:

Perhaps I should have speculated that she guessed that there was a decent chance she was not going to be able to make a long term living out of being a virtuouso pianist. So she decided to take a timeout to make some money now so she could pursue being a virtuoso pianist whilst being financially secure. Who knows and that is the problem with this game.

Your judgements are harsh without knowing or understanding her circumstances. I am just trying to provide alternatives to you to suggest that you cannot know and to be harshly judgemental is toxic.

+1!!!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by KevinM

Your judgements are harsh without knowing or understanding her circumstances. I am just trying to provide alternatives to you to suggest that you cannot know or understand her circumstances and yet you are harshly judgemental which is toxic.

I know many struggling musicians. I take lessons from them, lol.

So, the ends justify the means? As long as one earns some cash, it doesn't matter how ones presents himself or herself, is that what you're saying? That's pretty bleak view of the life of a musician, and their role in society, and what they can contribute to the human condition. I guess you didn't bother to read the commencement address.

I see these videos as appealing to the male sexual gaze, is that surprising?

Last edited by LarryK; 01/25/20 01:53 PM.
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
And yet she’s made the cover of Pianist and has been featured in Rolling Stone, and we’re still talking about her. She must be doing something right. And she can have a fine career as a professional pianist, better than the vast majority of pianists out there. You don’t have to be in the top 10 to fill recital halls.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
I guess if anyone has a problem with her, perhaps it's better to post on her YouTube video and let her know how you feel.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Why do we have to compare her against Angela Hewitt and not against Adriana Lima, for instance? Lola is apparently a much better pianist than any of Victoria’s Secret angels.

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/25/20 02:42 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by cmb13
And yet she’s made the cover of Pianist and has been featured in Rolling Stone, and we’re still talking about her. She must be doing something right. And she can have a fine career as a professional pianist, better than the vast majority of pianists out there. You don’t have to be in the top 10 to fill recital halls.
She made the magazine covers because of her story and looks. I don't know how she is doing career wise, but I am quite sure that most serious musicians/managers don't consider her a big name or talent. And part of this is because of how she has chosen to present herself. Recital halls come in different sizes but to fill a major concert hall you have to be a major pianist.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
[...] dressing like a fake angel, etc.[...]

Since angels (of this type) are a figment of the imagination, is there such a thing as a "real" as opposed to a "fake" angel?

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
I talked to someone at work about my piano and cello playing and she (so not a young male) immediately started talking about a pianists and cellist duo...this person is not really into classical music. Showed me in YT and the pianist was Lola smile

So whether some like it or not, she seems to have broaden her fan base...and that may help fill the big halls, even if not with the usual grey haired ones.

Of course she will grow old one day, but with modern technology I think she still has one or two decades to take advantage of her looks, so compared to all the struggling competition virtuosos I don't think she has chosen too badly career wise.

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by outo
I talked to someone at work about my piano and cello playing and she (so not a young male) immediately started talking about a pianists and cellist duo...this person is not really into classical music. Showed me in YT and the pianist was Lola smile

So whether some like it or not, she seems to have broaden her fan base...and that may help fill the big halls, even if not with the usual grey haired ones.

Of course she will grow old one day, but with modern technology I think she still has one or two decades to take advantage of her looks, so compared to all the struggling competition virtuosos I don't think she has chosen too badly career wise.

I think her partnering with Hauser has helped his career as well.

This Moonlight Sonata with Lola and Hauser has had 32,000,000 views in the last 12 months, exceeding the viewcount of any other performance of Moonlight Sonata uploaded to Youtube in the last 4 years:

It has had over 5 times the viewership of the most popular Youtube video of Lola alone, her Fantaisie Impromptu performance, that had 6,100,000 views in the last year. It also has exceeded the viewcount of any video uploaded to Youtube by Hauser's original cellist duo with Luka Šulić, 2Cellos, in the same 1 year period. And it has exceeded the viewcount of any of Hauser's solo performance videos uploaded to Youtube in the same 1 year period.

So, as measured by eyeballs on Youtube, this hookup is working for both Lola and Hauser.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
It’s a very nice video. I liked it when I first saw it, well before this thread.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Chloe (Won) Flower, a Juilliard piano grad who recently just signed with the Sony Masterworks label, is obviously trying to dethrone Lola, who is 4 weeks older than Chloe. Here is Chloe with her rendition of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565 for piano:

Obviously Lola and her gimmick have given other female pianists, ideas.

BTW, Chloe is not necessarily more gifted then Lola. Regardless of how one might consider her comportment and performance attire, Lola was a piano prodigy. For example, at age 11, Astanova placed 3rd at the The Second Moscow International Franz Chopin Competition For young pianists out of 41 top young pianists from 12 countries. Furthermore, Lola finished her Masters degree in Piano Performance at Rice University's Shepherd School of Music when she was still 18yo. Take that Chloe! 😎

[Linked Image]

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
LOL, so the first video was shot in my old neighborhood. I’m not a big fan of music videos and their frenetic style. How many technical events are there in the first, short, video? A technical event is a camera move, or a cut, anything like that. I got a feeling of motion sickness watching this video. I’m looking at the keyboard, now I’m one story above it, no wait, I’ve been thrown over the side of the building, now I’m back, etc.

The other issue is one of the environment. One can barely hear themselves think in that neighborhood because of the amount of street noise. Yet, the video does not include any of that noise, for obvious reasons. I criticized a classical guitarist for playing Bach’s Chaconne into a stiff Hawaiian wind, and the feeling of cognitive dissonance involved because the music couldn’t possibly have been recorded in that physical setting. The guitarist’s hair and shirt were moving wildly in the wind, and, yet, you never heard any wind. I suggested starting with environmental noise, fading out, and then fading back into environmental noise at the end.

Just my opinions.

Last edited by LarryK; 01/27/20 03:03 AM.
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
I’m not a big fan of music videos and their frenetic style. How many technical events are there in the first, short, video? A technical event is a camera move, or a cut, anything like that. I got a feeling of motion sickness watching this video. I’m looking at the keyboard, now I’m one story above it, no wait, I’ve been thrown over the side of the building, now I’m back, etc.

It seems likely to me that the style of Chloe's video, with its quick cuts, reflects the audience she is targeting. It is not the traditional, older classical piano fan. In this way, Chloe is chasing after a similar demographic as Lola, and as I remarked with Lola, this is not just a classical piano performance - this also is intended as a work of some artistic merit for which the piano performance of an arrangement/transcription of a classical organ piece, serves as just a component of the overall work.

I also believe Chloe's arrangement/transcription of Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565 is also targeting the same audience. In the credits for the video, it lists the contributors but does not credit an arranger/transcriber, so I assume this is her own arrangement/transcription.

[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Studying at the Tchaikovsky Conservatory with Lev Naumov trumps Juilliard. grin

Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Does Bach really need the background sound track?
I much prefer simpler

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XLrV9OKXOJw

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I’m not a big fan of music videos and their frenetic style. How many technical events are there in the first, short, video? A technical event is a camera move, or a cut, anything like that. I got a feeling of motion sickness watching this video. I’m looking at the keyboard, now I’m one story above it, no wait, I’ve been thrown over the side of the building, now I’m back, etc.

It seems likely to me that the style of Chloe's video, with its quick cuts, reflects the audience she is targeting. It is not the traditional, older classical piano fan. In this way, Chloe is chasing after a similar demographic as Lola, and as I remarked with Lola, this is not just a classical piano performance - this also is intended as a work of some artistic merit for which the piano performance of an arrangement/transcription of a classical organ piece, serves as just a component of the overall work.

I also believe Chloe's arrangement/transcription of Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565 is also targeting the same audience. In the credits for the video, it lists the contributors but does not credit an arranger/transcriber, so I assume this is her own arrangement/transcription.

Is it too much to ask that a piece of music written in the 1700s be used to unite people of different demographics? It seems sad that the music and its presentation is meant to divide people based on a few decades of difference in when they were born.

I was also annoyed by the backing track.

Last edited by LarryK; 01/27/20 10:19 AM.
Online Content
"Furthermore, Lola finished her Masters degree in Piano Performance at Rice University's Shepherd School of Music when she was still 18yo. Take that Chloe!"

We discussed the age issue earlier in this thread. Depending on which birth date you accept for Lola (July 3, 1982 or July 3 1985) she was either 21 or 18 when she played her Masters Recital at Rice in February 2004. Given the other date benchmarks in her official bio I'm inclined to believe the 1982 birth date - which would make Ms. Lola 37 at the present time.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carey
"Furthermore, Lola finished her Masters degree in Piano Performance at Rice University's Shepherd School of Music when she was still 18yo. Take that Chloe!"

We discussed the age issue earlier in this thread. Depending on which birth date you accept for Lola (July 3, 1982 or July 3 1985) she was either 21 or 18 when she played her Masters Recital at Rice in February 2004. Given the other date benchmarks in her official bio I'm inclined to believe the 1982 birth date - which would make Ms. Lola 37 at the present time.

OK, you are right and I think I pretty much confirmed it with her own words. This interview with Lola is from 12 February 2019, from an Uzbek online magazine. (English translation) In it, the interviewer states and Astanova acknowledges that she came to the US when she was 18, and that her trip back to Uzbekistan is exactly 18 years after she left. She acknowledges she came for the first time since she left on the eve of 2019 to perform for Alisher Usmanov's New Year's party, so this would mean she returned to Uzbekistan for the performance at the end of December 2018.

Working backwards, she first came to the US in December 2000, and if she was 18, this means she was born in 1982, presumably on 3 July.

Still, even 21yo makes her a bit young for her Masters Degree.

[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
For those who wanted to focus on the music and had complaints with Lola's comportment and attire, Lola has made a special video just for you (yes, it is her):

[Linked Image]

Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dealer Reduction?
by brdwyguy - 04/11/21 11:55 AM
Extra notes on old Sohmer
by TimM_980 - 04/11/21 11:46 AM
[Poll] Which exercise book do you do and why?
by meghdad - 04/11/21 10:23 AM
Recording Acoustic Piano
by JeffM123 - 04/11/21 10:14 AM
Budget Stage/portable Piano
by Amy H - 04/11/21 09:11 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,218
Posts3,081,065
Members101,150
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission