2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
30 registered members (dobro, Calavera, dima5222, Beowulf, ando, CyberGene, Charles Cohen, 9 invisible), 234 guests, and 367 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ritmuller Questions #2938642 01/25/20 11:27 PM
G
Goose828 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I am looking to buy my first grand piano and have already learned so much from this site! I played semi-seriously as a kid, but it’s now been almost 20 years since I’ve had a piano in my home. I grew up playing on a reliable Yamaha upright, nothing fancy, and always wanted a grand but couldn’t afford one. I now have kids who may start playing in the next couple years, a living room that would fit up to about 5.5 feet, and a budget of about 10k (with some wiggle room if you ask me, none if you ask my husband 😬).

I’ve been to a few showrooms and initially liked the new Kawai GL-10. It’s a brand I’ve heard of, seemed like a popular first baby grand, and I liked the way it sounded and played. A couple showrooms later, I tried a Ritmuller GH160 that I also thought sounded really great, but I didn’t trust my judgement since I’ve been out of practice, had never heard of them, and it’s hard to compare when they aren’t right next to each other. After reading post after post about both pianos, I am definitely leaning towards the GH160 (and possibly GH148 due to budget). I also came across a used GH170 that’s about 10 years old that I’m seriously considering, given that it will fit!

Here are my questions:
1. Are all the GH*** pianos designed by Lothar Thomma? From what I understand, those started being produced about 10 years ago.
2. If yes, has there been much change with GH170 over the past 10 years?
3. What is your general opinion on Kawai GL vs Rit GH?
4. Would you go with a new GH160 or a used GH170 that’s ~4K less?! Or a GH148 that will probably be in the middle price wise?

One thing to point out is that I can’t seem to find a GH148 to try that’s nearby, but a couple places said they could order one. From what I’ve read, it’s definitely better to go with a floor model that I can try? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Ritmuller Questions [Re: Goose828] #2938741 01/26/20 10:05 AM
terminaldegree Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Buy the actual piano you like, regardless of used or new, and record the serial number to be sure.

If a used piano is among your final two contenders for purchase, have it thoroughly inspected by a technician prior to purchase. The results of their report will either confirm your choice, scare you away, or be of use to negotiate the asking price lower.

With the better Chinese grand pianos, what I’m seeing (over the last decade) is, even though the models might not change, there seems to be incremental improvements in consistency of build quality, and/or incremental changes and updates to existing designs (using a different hammer supplier, for example).

With the smallest grand pianos, stepping up in size is typically not an insignificant change in tonal performance/balance and (within the same brand) action response. The Ritmüllers you’re considering present an interesting alternative to the GL-10, and I think is a fair comparison. I’d simply suggest going back and playing both, one more time. Ignore any negative dealer comments about the competing piano. Have you tried the used one yet?

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Ritmuller Questions [Re: terminaldegree] #2938784 01/26/20 11:46 AM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Buy the actual piano you like, regardless of used or new, and record the serial number to be sure.

If a used piano is among your final two contenders for purchase, have it thoroughly inspected by a technician prior to purchase. The results of their report will either confirm your choice, scare you away, or be of use to negotiate the asking price lower.

With the better Chinese grand pianos, what I’m seeing (over the last decade) is, even though the models might not change, there seems to be incremental improvements in consistency of build quality, and/or incremental changes and updates to existing designs (using a different hammer supplier, for example).

With the smallest grand pianos, stepping up in size is typically not an insignificant change in tonal performance/balance and (within the same brand) action response. The Ritmüllers you’re considering present an interesting alternative to the GL-10, and I think is a fair comparison. I’d simply suggest going back and playing both, one more time. Ignore any negative dealer comments about the competing piano. Have you tried the used one yet?

+1 thumb Excellent advice.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Ritmuller Questions [Re: terminaldegree] #2938790 01/26/20 12:04 PM
G
Goose828 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thank you for your response! I have not tried the used one yet, as it is a bit of a drive away, but I am considering taking a trip to see it. Great advice about the technician, I will look one up nearby if I do make the trip!

Re: Ritmuller Questions [Re: Goose828] #2938829 01/26/20 01:33 PM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It reminds me of sound advice I got when we had horses. “Before you buy any horse, get that horse checked by your veterinarian.”

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Flying pianos in russia today
by Maximillyan - 02/23/20 02:25 AM
PCI Express card for VST playback
by Osho - 02/23/20 12:18 AM
Has anyone heard these tunes
by Jonky Ponky - 02/22/20 11:08 PM
Alternative Scale Fingering
by HC110 - 02/22/20 10:16 PM
Grand piano touch too light
by Coda9 - 02/22/20 09:35 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,133
Posts2,928,858
Members96,076
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission