2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
24 registered members (Beemer, Animisha, ChrisGoesPiano, DrPaul09, GnGEmpire, Colin Miles, giu, Gene Nelson, AYS, CyberGene, 3 invisible), 276 guests, and 433 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Suggest ways to use a Disklavier as a learning tool #2938448 01/25/20 01:44 PM
L
LarryK Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
So, I'll let you guys in on a secret. I ordered a Yamaha DYUS1, which is a YUS1 acoustic upright that has the solenoid-based Disklavier player mechanism added to it.

This was a special order and so the piano is a number of months away from being delivered to me. I'm crossing my fingers that everything goes well.

I'm not interested in talking about any specifics of my deal, but I am interested in learning more about how a Disklavier could be used to further my study. I am a beginner, and so, I am hoping that I can use the features of the Disklavier to improve how I practice.

I can see how recording the left and right hands separately and then playing against them could help me. I can also see that being able to vary the tempo of the playback would also be helpful.

I'm looking forward to being able to hear a mechanical reproduction of my playing from across the room. smile Perhaps I'll be able to use that feature to improve how I sound. After all, none of us get a chance to hear how we sound away from the piano, at least, not in this way, with the keys being played mechanically.

I'll be able to capture a video of myself playing and then watch the playback as the piano plays, and the keys and pedal move, I think that's pretty cool, and that it will help me adjust how I physically move at the keyboard.

Anyway, I'm open to more suggestions on how I'll be able use the Disklavier in my practice.

Last edited by LarryK; 01/25/20 01:53 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Suggest ways to use a Disklavier as a learning tool [Re: LarryK] #2938514 01/25/20 04:50 PM
Serge88 Offline
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
That is what I do with my digital piano, I listen to my recording and try to improve. With my acoustic, I use a webcam and a laptop. I think Yamaha is selling professional recordings made for Disklavier, it could be fun to watch mister invisible performs on your piano.

"The piano keys are black and white but they sound like a million colors in your mind.“
Maria Cristina

Re: Suggest ways to use a Disklavier as a learning tool [Re: Serge88] #2938570 01/25/20 07:21 PM
L
LarryK Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Serge88
That is what I do with my digital piano, I listen to my recording and try to improve. With my acoustic, I use a webcam and a laptop. I think Yamaha is selling professional recordings made for Disklavier, it could be fun to watch mister invisible performs on your piano.

Yes, there are hundreds of recordings available for the Disklavier, many sold by Yamaha, and it will play any midi file, so there is no limit to the amount of music that can be played on it. Part of the reason I decided on the Disklavier was so that I could play more advanced repertoire than I could play. I am a beginner after all. So, when my wife asked me how soon I would be able to play the Chopin Nocturnes, I landed on the idea of buying a Disklavier so that she could listen to a professional play them before I managed to learn them!

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Suggest ways to use a Disklavier as a learning tool [Re: LarryK] #2938573 01/25/20 07:26 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK
So, I'll let you guys in on a secret. I ordered a Yamaha DYUS1, which is a YUS1 acoustic upright that has the solenoid-based Disklavier player mechanism added to it.

This was a special order and so the piano is a number of months away from being delivered to me. I'm crossing my fingers that everything goes well.

Congrats on the new piano!!!! 🎊

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Suggest ways to use a Disklavier as a learning tool [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2938576 01/25/20 07:35 PM
L
LarryK Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Congrats on the new piano!!!! 🎊

Thanks! I don't have anything yet, and it may all go wrong, but hopefully not!

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Suggest ways to use a Disklavier as a learning tool [Re: LarryK] #2938587 01/25/20 07:54 PM
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
It sounds wonderful. Count me jealous. .

[Linked Image]
Novice with a Novus.....?
Re: Suggest ways to use a Disklavier as a learning tool [Re: LarryK] #2938595 01/25/20 08:09 PM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wow! How wonderful! Congratulations!!!! Please post pictures on and after delivery! And I, for one, want to hear all about the Disklavier. Yay!!!!! grin

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Suggest ways to use a Disklavier as a learning tool [Re: LarryK] #2938597 01/25/20 08:16 PM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I have feeling you are going love this instrument !

Re: Suggest ways to use a Disklavier as a learning tool [Re: LarryK] #2938603 01/25/20 08:38 PM
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Listening to your playing is one of the most important things you can do. I don't think it's important to listen from across the room, however.

Besides recording one hand and playing the other which may not be that useful you could play real duet music with yourself by recording one part and playing the other. It's possible Disklavier has prerecorded duets so you only have to learn one part. I know PianoDisc has this possibility. There are some really beautiful 4 hand piano works that are not too advanced.

Here's a variety of the duet scenario that might be possible on your piano. It was recorded a few years ago by a very talented PW member:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_cOIi1FRys

I bet there are many Youtube videos showing things that can be done with a Disklavier.

Congratulations on you new piano!

Re: Suggest ways to use a Disklavier as a learning tool [Re: LarryK] #2938604 01/25/20 08:38 PM
L
LarryK Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks everybody! I’m excited about getting it. I was happy to learn that Yamaha uses German Wurzen felt on the hammers after someone posted a video of how the felt is made. They also use Röslau bass strings. I know the piano will not be as good as a high quality German upright but I think it will be more than sufficient for my needs.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Suggest ways to use a Disklavier as a learning tool [Re: LarryK] #2938606 01/25/20 08:49 PM
L
LarryK Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Oh, pedaling, I’m looking forward to being able to analyze how I pedaled a piece, after the fact. I don’t alway know if I’ve done it properly in every measure of a piece, but with the Disklavier I’ll be able to watch the pedal move.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Suggest ways to use a Disklavier as a learning tool [Re: LarryK] #2938614 01/25/20 09:28 PM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Oh, pedaling, I’m looking forward to being able to analyze how I pedaled a piece, after the fact. I don’t alway know if I’ve done it properly in every measure of a piece, but with the Disklavier I’ll be able to watch the pedal move.

I hadn’t thought about that! That could be really useful. I’ve always suffered mild pedal anxiety when I play. grin

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Suggest ways to use a Disklavier as a learning tool [Re: j&j] #2938617 01/25/20 09:36 PM
L
LarryK Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by j&j

I hadn’t thought about that! That could be really useful. I’ve always suffered mild pedal anxiety when I play. grin

Me too, I suffer from pedal anxiety, as in, peddling too much, or forgetting to pedal.

It's funny, the one Disklavier remote learning class that Frederic Chiu did with the Disklavier dealt with what he calls "surgical pedaling" using the shift pedal. I know I won't be getting a grand with the Disklavier Pro system but I can dream. Here is that video:

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Suggest ways to use a Disklavier as a learning tool [Re: LarryK] #2938675 01/26/20 03:11 AM
L
LarryK Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
The video on this page:

http://yamahaden.com/resources-2/item/356-understanding-the-disklavier-pro

compares the Disklavier Standard and Pro versions.

Since grands and uprights sound profoundly different, and the Pro system is not offered on any Yamaha upright, there is no way of knowing what difference in playback quality could be realized by installing the Pro system on an upright.

Do all digital pianos provide 128 values for “hammer” velocity and key release velocity?

My understanding of the work on the Pro system is that it stashes those extra velocity values in unused midi channels.

I love the quote from Rubinstein, mentioned in the video, that the pedal is the soul of the pianoforte. Looking at real-time pedaling information on playback seems to confirm this opinion. My teacher says, the pedal is magic.

Last edited by LarryK; 01/26/20 03:16 AM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Alicia Keys - Moonlight Sonata
by Pathetique1 - 02/25/20 03:09 AM
Int/Midi button on Kawai MP11
by giu - 02/25/20 02:56 AM
New bass strings sound hollow
by Emery Wang - 02/25/20 01:01 AM
About Yamaha cx
by Fer15 - 02/24/20 11:48 PM
grades of pieces
by Kaori Miyamoto - 02/24/20 05:40 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,177
Posts2,929,705
Members96,104
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission