2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (beeboss, Buzz209, apianostudent, brdwyguy, Alain Defressigne, accordeur, anotherscott, BWV846, 14 invisible), 544 guests, and 463 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by AprilE
Sam, I'm glad to know about Piano with Jonny and I too am thinking of registering for it, but I'm a little puzzled by you saying that you "plunked down $60 for 3 months", because when I go to his website, it's $40 for one month or $300 for 1 year. Did I misunderstand you?

You might try doing a search on …..piano with jonny coupon..... and see what jumps up.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Focal Professional CMS 40 monitors
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
P
OP Offline
P
Sam, I'm glad to know about Piano with Jonny and I too am thinking of registering for it, but I'm a little puzzled by you saying that you "plunked down $60 for 3 months", because when I go to his website, it's $40 for one month or $300 for 1 year. Did I misunderstand you?

Hello April,

Glad you asked. Until I read your post, I actually didn't realize what a good deal I got! I can't even tell you how I happened onto it, but if you e-mail Jonny's support people here: contact@pianowithjonny.com Tell them that you'd like to take the 10 day, 5 lesson, blues challenge, then consider the 40% off offer. I'm sure they will be happy to help you.

After you complete the 5 lessons (or not) I believe (like me) that they will offer you 3 months for $60 ($20/mo) or a full year for $180 ($15/mo)

I don't know your piano experience, but he has lessons in the courses for beginning to advanced students.

I wish you luck.

Sam

Yamaha P-105, Yamaha HS7s & HS8S, Dell Win 10, SSD, i5, 8G RAM, Garritan CFX
P
OP Offline
P

April,

This PianoWithJonny challenge just popped up on my screen. If you go here, I believe you can give your email address and he will send you 5 free lessons. When finished, you can enroll in the discounted 3 month or yearly course.

https://pianowithjonny.com/10-day-b...hQxnm_ZqUfCAR6_Ga3QVV6GAFKoaAnsFEALw_wcB

Best of Luck

Sam

A
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
A
Thanks for your response Sam, and Don. Actually the blues challenge doesn’t look all that interesting to me personally, unlike the Fly Me to the Moon preview on YouTube which seems to be just exactly what I’m looking for at this time to move forward with jazz standards. I’m really quite excited about it. His regular rate does seem very reasonable and certainly worth it for me.

Thanks again for initiating this thread, Sam, and I hope you will post about how it goes for you. Have fun with it!

April
P
OP Offline
P
April, you don't have to be interested in blues or take the blues challenge. It's just the way you can get the discount on the course. But, you can pay the regular rate too. ;-)

Sam

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Is this what's known as free jazz?

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Dfrankjazz
Is this what's known as free jazz?
And what about free blues?

P
OP Offline
P
Ba Dum Chhhhhhhh!! :-D

Sam

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for your response Sam, and Don. Actually the blues challenge doesn’t look all that interesting to me personally, unlike the Fly Me to the Moon preview on YouTube which seems to be just exactly what I’m looking for at this time to move forward with jazz standards. I’m really quite excited about it. His regular rate does seem very reasonable and certainly worth it for me.

Thanks again for initiating this thread, Sam, and I hope you will post about how it goes for you. Have fun with it!

You might want to look at Piano with Willie then. He has courses as part of his main site for learning standards in steps. Also a separate course for Cocktail piano and others.

Last edited by TomLC; 11/05/19 01:01 PM.

Kawai NV10
A
A

https://jazzedge.com/

The author of that site is Willie Myette (Piano With Willie).

He is currently consolidating many of his sites into a single site and he has a ton of material to work with.

Don,

When is Willie Myette consolidating his sites into a single site?
I have an interest in his main site for Jazz, cocktail and blues, but also like the content of his "Rock Piano Lessons" and "Cocktail Piano Lessons" sites. I would love for all of this to be covered by one fee.

Thanks!
--Alan

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Alan F

https://jazzedge.com/

The author of that site is Willie Myette (Piano With Willie).

He is currently consolidating many of his sites into a single site and he has a ton of material to work with.

Don,

When is Willie Myette consolidating his sites into a single site?
I have an interest in his main site for Jazz, cocktail and blues, but also like the content of his "Rock Piano Lessons" and "Cocktail Piano Lessons" sites. I would love for all of this to be covered by one fee.

Thanks!
--Alan

He is doing it right now.

I think it will be available December 1.

You should be able to "ask" by sending a message from his site.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Focal Professional CMS 40 monitors
E
E
I may have misread things but it looks to me like if you pay for premium membership at $30 a month or $300 a year you get access to everything. I actually paid for a couple of his udemy courses at about 10:49 each..... I figure that will give me a month at least of material anyway and I'll get to figure out how much I do a don't like it. Just got it started with 12 Bar Blues and I really like the way he explained stuff. It appears that he is not only a good teacher but exudes a lot of positive energy without seeming all fake and plastic..... it also seems that the Opie is significantly more advanced in knowledge of jazz in court Theory than I am so the question of suitability becomes a little more specific

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
JazzEdge (PWW) will have a BlackFriday sale. You be joining the new site. Jazzedge.com

Kawai NV10
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I am another convert to Jonny May. He kept sending me emails with tips. This last one hooked me. So I joined today!

See you guys on his FB page.

Kawai NV10
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by TomLC
I am another convert to Jonny May. He kept sending me emails with tips. This last one hooked me. So I joined today!

See you guys on his FB page.

I’m sure taking lessons from Jonny will be a nice experience for you. I love close harmony. One of his courses taught me some nice, altered “crunch chords.” I’ll be forever grateful for showing me his closed voicing for an A7+9 specifically. (I feel like I’m channeling Bill Evans every time I play it) I’ve learned that many jazz chord voicings are not at all intuitive; It’s great to be shown what works by a real pro. Jonny will inspire you to learn many styles. My subscription runs out in two weeks but I will subscribe again.

Sam

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by PlayitSam
I’ve learned that many jazz chord voicings are not at all intuitive; It’s great to be shown what works by a real pro.
I don’t know if the term “intuitively” is suitable here. More precisely, it will be: those found by ear by trial and error, which includes borrowing from classical harmony.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Nahum
I’ve learned that many jazz chord voicings are not at all intuitive; It’s great to be shown what works by a real pro.
I don’t know if the term “intuitively” is suitable here. More precisely, it will be: those found by ear by trial and error, which includes borrowing from classical harmony.

I’m not the least bit interested in your silly opinion of whether my descriptive word is suitable or not. Mainly, I was taking the time to welcome a fellow player to the course, and mention what I was getting out of it. Strange, that you think it is your place to criticize MY personal experience? You said that you, “Don’t know if my term ‘intuitive’ is suitable??” So, in your academic mind, we shouldn’t learn correct, complex voicings from a seasoned professional player?? We should all just “go it alone” (and use our ear, as you put it) without the benefit of experienced players helping us learn tried and true, World-class voicings??

After reading your comment to the end, you sound like an “academic wanna-be” (aka a snob) rather than being a “real player.” Maybe you should consider landing your ego and quit trying to sound like such a critical know-it-all.

Sam

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Nahum

I’m not the least bit interested in your silly opinion of whether my descriptive word is suitable or not. Mainly, I was taking the time to welcome a fellow player to the course, and mention what I was getting out of it. Strange, that you think it is your place to criticize MY personal experience? You said that you, “Don’t know if my term ‘intuitive’ is suitable??” So, in your academic mind, we shouldn’t learn correct, complex voicings from a seasoned professional player?? We should all just “go it alone” (and use our ear, as you put it) without the benefit of experienced players helping us learn tried and true, World-class voicings??

After reading your comment to the end, you sound like an “academic wanna-be” (aka a snob) rather than being a “real player.” Maybe you should consider landing your ego and quit trying to sound like such a critical know-it-all.
Dear young "advanced beginner"! I have a feeling that you are not only a beginner improviser and a new forum member, but also a beginner in relations with other forum users. Let me teach you give you a lesson , and completely for free: before attacking someone here, it’s customary to collect preliminary information about him; for example, in the posts of this person or on his website, or in the vastness of the Internet in general, including YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9zLmwikefw

In addition, I recommend reading literature on the history of jazz, in this case the very solid " Das Grosse Jazz Buch" by Joachim Berendt, where he considers the process of the emergence of jazz harmony - maybe this will enrich you in something.

Good luck in your education!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi PlayItSam

I think sometimes Nahum says things that maybe could be worded better, as I've been drawn into arguing with him in the past.
However I've contacted him via private message to ask about some music that he gave some samples of (The Kid from Red Bank - Count Basie) and found him to be very friendly and helpful.

I'm not getting into the rights and wrongs of who said what, or taking sides, but I thought you should know that he is (or was) a professional Jazz player who has played at a very high level.

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73, Casio PX-S3000
Yanagisawa AW01 (alto Sax)
Yamaha YTS-475 (tenor Sax)

DipMus(Open)
Play what you enjoy listening to, listen to what you enjoy playing.
Retired!

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I have also heard some playing by Nahum that was superb. I asked him for lessons once)

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Thinking about Buying a used Steinway?
by astrotoy - 04/19/21 02:43 PM
Pivot termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 01:45 PM
Numa Compact 2x VS Arturia Keylab Essential 88
by Violao - 04/19/21 01:14 PM
The Logo of the Future - Steingraeber
by Skjalg - 04/19/21 10:47 AM
Practuce With Czerny
by BbAltered - 04/19/21 10:05 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,398
Posts3,084,165
Members101,243
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission