2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
45 members (andredatele, ando, Anglagard44, Burkey, ChrisGoesPiano, Adam Edin, Catlady, 13 invisible), 491 guests, and 487 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Chopin Nocturne Op.27 as it sounded to Chopin
pianoloverus #2938006 01/24/20 11:43 AM
A
acortot Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by acortot
Originally Posted by acortot
Perhaps one of the principal reasons why Chopin and a lot of other composers are played at a fraction of the speed that they were conceived at.
Which other Chopin pieces are usually played much slower than the composer's indication? The only other one I know if is the Etude in E flat minor.

Most of the great pianists could play the D flat Nocturne significantly faster than they do if perhaps not quite as fast as on the posted recording. I think they choose not to do so even though most would be familiar with Chopin's tempo marking because they don't think it sounds good at that speed.

If you look at Chopin's first editions, and browse through some of the earlier works, that usually had the metronome, you can find some examples.
My point was that unless there are many pieces where pianists usually play much more slowly than Chopin's metronome marking, the situation with the D flat Nocturne is essentially a one off. Do you know of any other examples?

If the great ,with possible a few exceptions, basically all choose to play it much slower than Chopin's indication despite undoubtedly know what he marked, doesn't that mean something?

I think that fashion and tastes have changed, as have pianos.

As mentioned on this thread, the bigger, more sustained and brighter, bolder sound of the modern concert grand does not translate well to the original tempo and pedal markings of the Piano Shaped Objects that Chopin used to compose on. smile

Max di Mario
acortot #2938118 01/24/20 04:08 PM
I
I
Beethoven was the fastest pianist of his time. Anton Rubinstein was still fast, but slower than Beethoven. Josef Hoffman, slower than Rubinstein, but still fast. Then you hit modern pianists and boom! We're slowpokes in comparison to everyone else!

So bravo for sticking with Chopin's tempo. That must have been really hard.

Pianist-in-training. Also an 19 year old who hasn't grown up at heart.

Fanboy of Edward MacDowell. Sometimes I refer to Edward MacDowell as "Eddy"
pianoloverus #2938122 01/24/20 04:15 PM
J
J
[quote=acortot]Perhaps one of the principal reasons why Chopin and a lot of other composers are played at a fraction of the speed that they were conceived at.
Which other Chopin pieces are usually played much slower than the composer's indication? The only other one I know if is the Etude in E flat minor.

Etude in E major, op. 10 no. 3.

Jeff Kallberg

acortot #2938130 01/24/20 04:33 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This is a lot faster than I've ever heard my favourite piece of music one earth before. But a beautiful recording. Thank you for sharing this find.

My own favourite version is Kissin's on his "Chopin Collection" double album.

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Jeff Kallberg #2938404 01/25/20 11:58 AM
A
acortot Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Jeff Kallberg
[quote=acortot]Perhaps one of the principal reasons why Chopin and a lot of other composers are played at a fraction of the speed that they were conceived at.

Jeff Kallberg

Hi, I wanted to avoid getting into it, but the best thing to do is to check the pieces you are already interested in or play on the Chopin first edition or the Chopin Variorum site.

There are many, including Op.26, Op. 9 etc.

http://www.chopinonline.ac.uk/ocve/

http://www.chopinonline.ac.uk/cfeo/

Max di Mario
Jeff Kallberg #2938440 01/25/20 01:29 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Jeff Kallberg

Jeff Kallberg

I looked through the Chopin Nocturnes up to Op. 27, No. 2 which all have Chopin's metronome indications in the (Urtext) score. Without exception, they are all played more slowly - by most professional pianists (current and recent) - than Chopin's marking.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD #2938457 01/25/20 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by BruceD
I looked through the Chopin Nocturnes up to Op. 27, No. 2 which all have Chopin's metronome indications in the (Urtext) score. Without exception, they are all played more slowly - by most professional pianists (current and recent) - than Chopin's marking.
More slowly or MUCH more slowly like Op. 27 no.2?

pianoloverus #2938469 01/25/20 02:23 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I have told a story about when I heard LL played this at Carnegie Hall quite a long time ago but I will repeat it because it's so funny. On the last line of the piece with the ascending sixths in the RH, LL started leaning further and further back with his eyes closed until he was almost at an angle of 45 degrees beyond vertical. Then, he paused in that position with his eyes closed at the end of the piece for so long I really wanted to yell "Wake up!" but did not have the nerve to do it.

My understanding is that although the video is billed as the debut concert recording, it's actually re-recorded right after the concert on the same stage, or a mixture of the live and the re-recorded footage (even for each piece played).

Last edited by newport; 01/25/20 02:30 PM.
pianoloverus #2939233 01/27/20 10:53 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

In the late 80's, when the HIP movement was taking off, conductor Roger Norrington recorded a series of performances of Beethoven's symphonies using Beethoven's original tempo markings. None was more controversial than his performance of the 9th, which clocked in at 62 minutes, when the average performance is 69:30.
If he did it as comparatively fast vs. standard speed as the pianist in the video the Beethoven would be about 46 minutes.

I just did a comparison for someone else, and actually, there are movements in this which are even more accelerated than this. For example, consider Movement No. 3. Movement No. III Adagio molto e cantabile is the slow movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

For a traditional performance, we take Bohm's 1981 Vienna Philharmonic recording. The 3rd movement is from 32:06 to 50:20 - a duration of 18 mins 14 secs:

Now compare this to Norrington's 1987 HIP recording using Beethoven's own metronome markings. The 3rd movement is from 28:28 to 39:31 - a duration of 11 mins 3 secs:

In this example here is a huge difference between the composer Beethoven's original metronome marks and the modern performance practice. BTW, Beethoven's own original metronome has been found, tested, and has been found accurate. Modern tastes appear to have changed from Beethoven's time.

What other tastes for performance practice have changed for other pieces? Does anyone have an example of another piece where the current taste is for a vastly different performance than that of the original composer?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
acortot #2940355 01/29/20 05:27 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

Stating the obvious, tastes can only change if performers have the artistic license to use interpretations that are not aligned with the prevailing taste and fashion at the time of the performance. No doubt those who did so were at times critiqued by their less open-minded contemporaries until the different interpretation became the accepted fashion.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Headphones for Digital Piano - your experience
by lukasz-zsakul - 12/04/20 05:10 AM
Is the Hailun 218 solid spruce?
by Sonepica - 12/04/20 04:55 AM
Schiff talked about Bartók's style of playing
by symphonicdance - 12/04/20 01:46 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,253
Posts3,030,345
Members99,467
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission