2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
29 registered members (HC110, DSC, Animisha, FonzNL, Harpuia, Calavera, Boboulus, 9 invisible), 225 guests, and 369 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
mp7se split function question #2937996 01/24/20 11:12 AM
V
varignet Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi James,

First and foremost thank you so much for your answers and insights and especially for answering my numerous Kawai posts. I'm the happy owner of a mp7se which I enjoy playing as my main digital piano at home.

I have a question about splitting zones on the mp7se,is there a quick way to remove a split zone?

Currently, when wanting to quickly remove a split I find myself pressing and holding the zone button and needing to press the lowest and highest key of the keyed. Needless to say this involves wide arms movements and crossing arms.
The alternative I found is navigating the menus and use the knobs to cycle all the way down and up in order to increase the range to the full keyboard. Again not intuitive.

Is there a way quicker way?
Can I kindly suggest for a future software update the ability of removing a split by pressing a combo, simultaneously the zone button and the exit button (or similar)?

Thanks
Luca

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: mp7se split function question [Re: varignet] #2938165 01/24/20 06:00 PM
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by varignet
Hi James,

First and foremost thank you so much for your answers and insights and especially for answering my numerous Kawai posts. I'm the happy owner of a mp7se which I enjoy playing as my main digital piano at home.

I have a question about splitting zones on the mp7se,is there a quick way to remove a split zone?

Currently, when wanting to quickly remove a split I find myself pressing and holding the zone button and needing to press the lowest and highest key of the keyed. Needless to say this involves wide arms movements and crossing arms.
The alternative I found is navigating the menus and use the knobs to cycle all the way down and up in order to increase the range to the full keyboard. Again not intuitive.

Is there a way quicker way?
Can I kindly suggest for a future software update the ability of removing a split by pressing a combo, simultaneously the zone button and the exit button (or similar)?

Thanks
Luca

Hi Luca,

The MP7SE is not designed to be a turn up and gig with board---hence its weight and lack of manual control switches in comparison to eg the Nord Piano 4. Unlike the Nord style stage piano's and similar models, the MP7SE---whilst offering lots of functions for its price---it is designed to instead store many 'Stored presets' (registrations) which one can easily sequence by assigning to eg one of the pedals or foot switches. This means that for performing, the idea is to setup the instrument beforehand just as you need it.

The relevant section of the user manual starts on page 64 (starting with Storing sounds) to page 67.

To learn how to use the foot pedals or switches to move up a registration, see page 108 of the user manual.

Kind regards,

Doug.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Re: mp7se split function question [Re: Doug M.] #2938295 01/25/20 05:26 AM
V
varignet Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi Doug, not sure that I agree, it is heavy true but I praise the mp7se interactive and immediate controls and believe it is marketed as a stage piano. We're however straying off-topic a bit.

I find the current way of disabling a split a bit cumbersome requiring wide arm movements and crossing arms whilst holding a button.

From a user point of view I believe the ability of disabling splits more immediately would be an appropriate suggestion.

There's no harm in a suggestion.

Last edited by varignet; 01/25/20 05:35 AM.
Re: mp7se split function question [Re: varignet] #2938421 01/25/20 12:32 PM
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by varignet
Hi Doug, not sure that I agree, it is heavy true but I praise the mp7se interactive and immediate controls and believe it is marketed as a stage piano. We're however straying off-topic a bit.

I find the current way of disabling a split a bit cumbersome requiring wide arm movements and crossing arms whilst holding a button.

From a user point of view I believe the ability of disabling splits more immediately would be an appropriate suggestion.

There's no harm in a suggestion.

Hi Luca,

Are you asking for is for a switch/button that when pressed sends you back to the default piano setting or the position you were at prior to applying the split zone?

On my old Technics KN800, there were only two parts, but you could apply a split really easily because each part had two buttons one above the other. If you wanted to combine, you pressed both bottom buttons, if you wanted to split, you hit the top button of one of the parts (see the buttons to the right of the big round up/down arrow-heads). However, the Kawai can apply splits faster than the Technics could, and for that matter, faster than the RD2000 can.

[Linked Image]

A stage piano could use such a method to select sections and define whether to combine or split.

As you can really quickly program registrations in the MP7SE (and if you run out, you can store lots on a USB thumb drive) it would seem like you have a fix available for the present time, albeit with a small amount of effort required to learn the process.

Maybe in future, Kawai will put a Technics style solution on their stage pianos so that you can revert to previous setting without the need to save a registration. However, you can also achieve this with a couple of foot switches etc and via programming registrations.

Kind regards,

Doug.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Re: mp7se split function question [Re: varignet] #2938435 01/25/20 01:15 PM
V
varignet Offline OP
OP Offline
V
No Doug, it feels like this may stray a bit off topic! at the moment.
please check my first topic as it explains in detail what I'm suggesting James at Kawai it might be a small and yet useful update to the mp7se software.

Last edited by varignet; 01/25/20 01:25 PM.
Re: mp7se split function question [Re: varignet] #2938453 01/25/20 01:55 PM
V
varignet Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Argh, I can't edit, will reply instead. I was answering on my Iphone whilst walking and the autocorrect gave it a totally different meaning, sorry!

I felt the conversation is going a bit too off-topic as mine is a specific question followed by a suggestion aimed at James.

I'd be curious to hear James thoughts, I suppose we'll know more once we hit Monday Japan time.

Have a good weekend
Luca

Re: mp7se split function question [Re: varignet] #2938982 01/26/20 08:55 PM
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Luca,

I have asked one of my colleague in R&D if there is a faster way to restore a zone to FullKeyboard, however I expect the best way might be to simply use a separate SETUP memory.

Also, if there was a method to restore a zone to FullKeyboard, it would only work for that particular zone, so you would still need to turn off the other zone (assigned to the lower split) in order to return to a single sound.

Instruments that have a simple two-zone split (upper keyboard, lower keyboard) are easier to manage in this respect, as cancelling the split logically restores full keyboard functionality to the primary sound. However the MP7SE allows up to four zones, with different key-ranges for each zone. As a result, it is more complicated to define what should happen when the key-range is restored to Full Keyboard.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: mp7se split function question [Re: varignet] #2939165 01/27/20 07:57 AM
V
varignet Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi James,

Thanks for your insight and for pinging your colleague, much appreciated. Also using setups with split points as templates is a very good suggestion.
Having read Doug and your replies, I have the feeling you may think that I'm suggesting something complicated involving affecting the instrument's logic, rest assured that is definitely not the case!

My suggestion is just the ability to hold an individual zone button and the exit button (or similar) in order to restore the zone's full-range.
This might be useful and more immediate than holding the zone button and reaching the extremities of the keybed.

Have a nice start of the week
Luca

Last edited by varignet; 01/27/20 07:58 AM.
Re: mp7se split function question [Re: varignet] #2939418 01/27/20 06:55 PM
Kawai James Offline
Hello Luca,

Thank you for your suggestion. I shall pass this on to my colleagues for future consideration.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019

Moderated by  Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Flying pianos in russia today
by Maximillyan - 02/23/20 02:25 AM
PCI Express card for VST playback
by Osho - 02/23/20 12:18 AM
Has anyone heard these tunes
by Jonky Ponky - 02/22/20 11:08 PM
Alternative Scale Fingering
by HC110 - 02/22/20 10:16 PM
Grand piano touch too light
by Coda9 - 02/22/20 09:35 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,132
Posts2,928,846
Members96,076
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission