2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
29 registered members (FonzNL, Calavera, Boboulus, HC110, FrankCox, JackyjdbLipp, Fritz Brause, 9 invisible), 234 guests, and 360 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Software to record videos #2937901 01/24/20 05:16 AM
U
U3piano Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
U
For those that record video's of their playing, is there (windows) software that you recommend?

I'm looking for software that is as simple/user friendly as possible, and let's me record both video and audio together.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Software to record videos [Re: U3piano] #2937914 01/24/20 06:14 AM
H
Hakki Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
H
One of the reasons why I bought a separate device for recording video was audio syncing problems when recording with my Windows computer. I could not solve the problem with either using the onborad camera of the laptop or using a USB camera. I was recording the sound through a USB soundcard.

But things might have improved since.

Re: Software to record videos [Re: U3piano] #2937918 01/24/20 06:36 AM
akc42 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Not sure what you are implying your workflow is going to be? Given your thread about microphones for recording, I sort of assume that you are going to separately record video and audio, and then you are going to sync the two together.

I use linux as my desktop, but the software I mention is both windows and linux based (actually also mac - but I think I am likely to use iMovie if I use a mac)

The software to record audio is most probably Audacity. It is free but fully featured audio editor. It does have the ability to remove the noise floor from recordings, but I don't actually know if that is desirable in piano recording. You'll see it mentioned quite a lot in the methods people have used for the ABF Recitals.

In the past, I've used openshot and blender as my video editors - but blender is over complicated and its more designed for animation. I have been thinking that kdenlive is a halfway house that could do the job - since there are several youtube videos up on how to use it to sync audio and video, but I just found this video

In it he does refer to kdenlive and it does seems to have a syncing tool.

Last edited by akc42; 01/24/20 06:39 AM.
Re: Software to record videos [Re: Hakki] #2937929 01/24/20 08:23 AM
U
U3piano Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by akc42
Not sure what you are implying your workflow is going to be? Given your thread about microphones for recording, I sort of assume that you are going to separately record video and audio, and then you are going to sync the two together.

I had changed my mind about that. (again)

Right now I thought it would be the best if I just:

1. Buy an audio interface. (and of course connect the microphones to it.)
2. Use a PC or the laptop i already have in the living room, and connect that to the audio interface
3. Use a usb/wifi smarthphone/camera connected to the pc through USB or WIFI for the video part

I thought i could just Record video + audio together this way with the right software, but... i didn't know about this:

Originally Posted by Hakki
One of the reasons why I bought a separate device for recording video was audio syncing problems when recording with my Windows computer. I could not solve the problem with either using the onborad camera of the laptop or using a USB camera. I was recording the sound through a USB soundcard.

But things might have improved since.

To try things out I just recorded a video with my smartphone and audio with my old zoom H4 and synced it using the trial version of Movavi. I'd rather not have to do that, but I must say it wasn't such a big deal after all.

Re: Software to record videos [Re: U3piano] #2937931 01/24/20 08:26 AM
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I believe this topic is discussed here quite a bit. And, as usual, I'm not all that good at recording my music videos. But I have over a 100 music videos on my YouTube channel, and some of them have quite a few views. This is something I enjoy and have a lot of fun doing, and although some of my videos are better than others, none of them are all that good.

Anyway, years ago, I used a basic, inexpensive camcorder, and Windows Microsoft "Movie Maker" software. That worked fine, for my purposes. When I bought a new desktop computer, with Windows 10, it didn't have the MovieMaker software on it, and I tried to find it to download to my new PC, and saw that it was more or less outdated and no longer supported by Microsoft.

So, after a little research, I decided on ShotCut video editing software for Windows, which was open source and free. However, it is not that easy to learn to use, especially for non-computer geeks like me, but I figured it out, slowly but surely. Also, I purchased Zoom H4n stereo recorder for the audio portion of my videos. Shotcut allows you to add/sync a separate audio file with the video file. You just mute the audio portion of the video file. Synchronizing the separate video and audio is a biggest challenge, but I'm getting better at it. The Zoom H4n recorder does have a better quality audio than the built-in camcorder audio.

I've been told by some of my YouTube fans that since some of my music video are quite popular, I really need a better quality recording set-up. I've thought about that, but I honestly do this just for fun and entertainment, or entertaining myself mostly; but I do like to think that others enjoy my music videos as well. smile

My older JVC Everio mini camcorder is getting some age and wear on it, so I may invest in a new Zoom combination video/audio recorder at some point.

Not sure this helps, but I hope it does, at least to some extent. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Software to record videos [Re: U3piano] #2938065 01/24/20 02:14 PM
Serge88 Offline
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
You can check with OBS (Open Broadcast Software), free and open source software for video recording and live streaming. Windows, macOS, linux.

"The piano keys are black and white but they sound like a million colors in your mind.“
Maria Cristina

Re: Software to record videos [Re: U3piano] #2938077 01/24/20 02:27 PM
H
Hakki Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
H
Apparently things have not changed much.

https://youtu.be/jjMa_go7RJ4

Re: Software to record videos [Re: U3piano] #2938305 01/25/20 07:16 AM
H
Hakki Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
H
IMO, you will have to deal with syncing problems if you go with a PC and USB camera. Probably irrelevant of the software used.

Re: Software to record videos [Re: Hakki] #2938307 01/25/20 07:29 AM
U
U3piano Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Hakki
IMO, you will have to deal with syncing problems if you go with a PC and USB camera. Probably irrelevant of the software used.

Why do you think so?

The first thing that came to my mind when reading about syncing problems was "why wouldn't they just include delay/offset settings for each source input (sound or video) in programs like OBS" so you can compensate, and then I watched the video you posted above and the guy explained exactly that.

I would expect that if you set that right once, it will be fine, but of course i'm not the one with experience here and I wouldn't be surprised if i'm wrong, have you tried this?

I have placed my order on the recording gear so soon I will be able to try.

Re: Software to record videos [Re: U3piano] #2938312 01/25/20 07:53 AM
H
Hakki Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
H
In my case, a fixed delay setting did not work always. Windows operating system does a lot of things in the background which might be the cause why I had variable delays. Sometimes audio/video would be in sync say for 5 minutes, then there would be pop/glitch etc., and they would begin to go out of sync again.

But all of this might be related to the model of PC I used back then, or the souncard, drivers etc., but I couldn't fix it permanently and gave up.

Let's see how your setup will do? Maybe you won't have any problems.

Re: Software to record videos [Re: U3piano] #2938351 01/25/20 09:59 AM
U
U3piano Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
U
Ok... hmm, yes i can image that could happen, windows is a strange OS.

We'll see! If it won't work properly ill just give in and do it the afterwards syncing way like everyone else. smile

Re: Software to record videos [Re: U3piano] #2938391 01/25/20 11:29 AM
H
Hakki Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
H
Well afterwards syncing might have problems too because of audio drift. Which happened to me also and it was hard to fix.

https://youtu.be/lLQOyaYkhkA

Re: Software to record videos [Re: U3piano] #2938406 01/25/20 11:58 AM
Rickster Offline
Originally Posted by U3piano
Ok... hmm, yes i can image that could happen, windows is a strange OS.

We'll see! If it won't work properly ill just give in and do it the afterwards syncing way like everyone else. smile

On the syncing of the vid and audio files, I've gotten better at it. Sometimes I hit the nail on the head (as we say here in the south:-) and the syncing is almost perfect, or so close you can't really notice an issue with audio syncing.

Sometimes I have difficulty getting it (audio/video syncing) as close as I'd like, and I just accept close enough... (as in horseshoes and hand-grenades, as we say here in the south:-).

Getting back to what Hakki was saying, I too have noticed that, sometimes, the Shotcut video editing software would show the video (with audio) and audio files synced almost perfectly, but when the finished video file is saved/exported, the audio in the final product is not synced as well as it was in the editing software window. In that case, I will delete the edited video and start all over and redo the entire video/audio editing process from scratch. I have spent an entire day messing around with the video editing process. Good thing I'm retired. smile

On the video/audio syncing, when I start recording, I will clap my hands as loud as I can, at least 3 times. When I start the video editing, with two separate audio files showing, the video (with audio) file and the audio file, I can see both audio soundwave graphs (spectrograms?). The loud clap will show a high peak on the graph, on both soundwave file patterns. I will use the graph peak spikes/points to align the audio files (which appear in a graph, one directly on top of the other), and then mute the audio portion on the original video file, so the audio file is recorded in the video.

The original video file from the camcorder is an MOV file; the original audio file from the ZOOM H4n is a WAV file. The final product is an MP4 video file, with a 2 channel stereo aac audio Codec.

Again, since I'm retired now, and I enjoy making the music videos, I find it fun and entertaining to play around with the video editing process, and then listen to the finished product.

My JVC camcorder is getting some age and wear on it, but still working. My ZOOM H4n stereo recorder is not that old. If my camcorder bites the dust anytime soon, I may purchase the new ZOOM video/audio recorder combo and forget the syncing. But where would be the fun in that? smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Flying pianos in russia today
by Maximillyan - 02/23/20 02:25 AM
PCI Express card for VST playback
by Osho - 02/23/20 12:18 AM
Has anyone heard these tunes
by Jonky Ponky - 02/22/20 11:08 PM
Alternative Scale Fingering
by HC110 - 02/22/20 10:16 PM
Grand piano touch too light
by Coda9 - 02/22/20 09:35 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,132
Posts2,928,846
Members96,076
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission