2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 40 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 39 40
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I think the forum should support this by allowing each different personality to have their own avatar. Then there could be the keyboard action CG and the Lola Astanova-inside-a-heart CG smile

Tyrone, admit it, you're also a dieheart fan of Lola's impressive... chops!

No fans of Wang ‘round here?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
I think the forum should support this by allowing each different personality to have their own avatar. Then there could be the keyboard action CG and the Lola Astanova-inside-a-heart CG smile

Well, I'm literally torn between the two wink On a more serious note, Yuja is an absolutely top-class pianist, while Lola is rather just decent. But they are apparently targeting different audience and fields of art.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14

Well, I'm literally torn between the two wink On a more serious note, Yuja is an absolutely top-class pianist, while Lola is rather just decent. But they are apparently targeting different audience and fields of art.

I agree. One can't compare Lola to Yuja or Khatia. But I admire Lola for deciding that she wanted to make a living doing the thing she loved (piano) - something she still practices many hours each day. And to make a living, she decided to do something different - a gimmick. So she is making her living on her own terms. And didn't just become a housewife raising children. I'd say there is something admirable in that too.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
.[/quote]
I agree. One can't compare Lola to Yuja or Khatia. But I admire Lola for deciding that she wanted to make a living doing the thing she loved (piano) - something she still practices many hours each day. And to make a living, she decided to do something different - a gimmick. So she is making her living on her own terms. And didn't just become a housewife raising children. I'd say there is something admirable in that too.[/quote]

doesn't khatia do piano for a living also, if not what do yuja and khatia do other than piano?

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Jitin

I agree. One can't compare Lola to Yuja or Khatia. But I admire Lola for deciding that she wanted to make a living doing the thing she loved (piano) - something she still practices many hours each day. And to make a living, she decided to do something different - a gimmick. So she is making her living on her own terms. And didn't just become a housewife raising children. I'd say there is something admirable in that too.

doesn't khatia do piano for a living also, if not what do yuja and khatia do other than piano?

You missed the point Tyrone was making. They do make a living from playing the piano built on hard work and talent. Tyrone is pointing out that Lola puts in the hard work, obviously has talent but not quite the talent of virtuouso players. So she has found a way for herself to make a living from her hard work and a gimmick. A perfectly valid approach.

Last edited by KevinM; 01/23/20 11:20 AM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KevinM
Originally Posted by Jitin
You missed the point Tyrone was making. They do make a living from playing the piano built on hard work and talent. Tyrone is pointing out that Lola puts in the hard work, obviously has talent but not quite the talent of virtuouso players. So she has found a way for herself to make a living from her hard work and a gimmick. A perfectly valid approach.

Exactly. Lola has put in the work, but didn't get the same results as Yuja and Khatia. Call it a difference in talent if you will. But she's found her own way to make a living even if she isn't invited on the big concert circuit.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I'm glad the hammer actuation was changed, I'm having a lot of problems with the slip pads on my CA95 falling off (the tape adhesive isn't strong enough).

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Lola-folks, you are spamming this thread.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
To help get the thread back on topic.

Seems pianomanchuck is keen on the new GFIII action. 1:13 into this video.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Consider this performance with a well-known orchestra in the USA - the performance was awarded an Emmy Award a few years ago:

This was a nice performance.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Let's stay on topic.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Hello mabraman,

Originally Posted by mabraman
I'm just wondering how such a 'small proportion of the suggestions' received, and complains about former CA models (or some of their characteristics), could be so accurate.

Kawai produces tens of thousands of digital pianos every year. Kawai's international network of subsidiaries, distributors, and dealers are in constant communication with customers, be it via email, over the phone, or in person. These customers naturally provide feedback - both good and bad - about their pianos, and this feedback is obviously considered when planning and developing new instruments.

I don't believe it's inconceivable for some of this customer feedback to overlap with some of the opinions expressed by PianoWorld forum members. Indeed, some of the customers who have provided feedback to Kawai may also be PianoWorld forum members.

However, as mentioned previously, customer feedback is not the only motivating force behind new features and improvements. Many developments stem from internal R&D (e.g. engineers wishing to improve on the technologies they have designed in the past), with professional pianists and music teachers regularly called upon to test prototypes and provide feedback - again multiple opinions, and multiple sources.

It wasn't my intention to undervalue the contributions from fellow PianoWorld members - my apologies if I gave anyone that impression.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
OP Offline
Here's PianoManChuck's appraisal of the CA99.

This video features a quick overview from Kawai America's digital piano product manager, Alan Palmer.

I believe some US-based PW forum members may have talked with Alan over the phone, or corresponded by email, so it's nice to see him here, in the flesh. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Kawai James

PianoWorld is a great Forum and wouldn't be the same without your presence. In fact, I believe, were a Poll of Members here who purchase a Kawai Instrument due to your efforts, the Results may be surprising to your Company.

It would be fun to try the new series, but for me, my move out of a metro and to the country would mean at least a 3-4hr drive. And, my CA67 is still a great performer.

Have fun ...

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Here's PianoManChuck's appraisal of the CA99.

This video features a quick overview from Kawai America's digital piano product manager, Alan Palmer.

I believe some US-based PW forum members may have talked with Alan over the phone, or corresponded by email, so it's nice to see him here, in the flesh. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Hi James,

Thanks for posting the video. Yes, I have emailed with Alan before - nice to put face with the name smile.

CA99/79 seem really amazing. Looking forward to trying it out at our local store in future - just for fun!

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
M
mwf Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
M
I live in UK, does anyone know what the warranty is like on Kawai pianos here, and if something goes wrong somewhere down the line after a few years can it be repaired in the UK? Do they have support centres in the UK.

I guess my main question is, what is the reliability like of the Kawai CA models and the GF2 action in general, does it get worn over time and have there been many reports of faulty units, and faulty keys etc.. or is the durability good overall for many years?

I am in the market for a new piano, and am considering a few options, the nord grand being one and this new kawai CA99, not sure which one to go with, both have kawai actions I know. I tried the CA98 and was not impressed with the sound/speakers at all, the touch was probably the best action I have tried though on a DP, a bit of a weird feeling when bottoming out the keys though. I like the nord, but the nord piano monitors are pretty average and I found them lacking in some areas, the action was pretty light, but very responsive and fast. I am steering more towards the cabinet CA99, but do not want to buy one and have issues with the keyboard a few years down the road, I am sure I have heard they are not very reliable...but I could be wrong.

Cheers

Mark

G
Gary001
Unregistered
Gary001
Unregistered
G
mwf: My K300 with ATX3 came with a 10 year warranty on the acoustic side of the piano and a 5 year warranty on the ATX3 electronics side. I'm not sure what the warranty period is like on purely digital pianos, but I would be surprised if it's not within the range of 3 to 5 years.

Last edited by Gary001; 01/25/20 12:05 PM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Gary001
mwf: My K300 with ATX3 came with a 10 year warranty on the acoustic side of the piano and a 5 year warranty on the ATX3 electronics side. I'm not sure what the warranty period is like on purely digital pianos, but I would be surprised if it's not within the range of 3 to 5 years.

The kawai ca99 is probably not much less than kawai k200 or even k300.
I don’t believe all people who buy such expensive pianos , do because they need volume control...
So with that said why not just buy k series kawai and have real thing???

Are acoustic that hard to maintain?

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by mwf
I am steering more towards the cabinet CA99, but do not want to buy one and have issues with the keyboard a few years down the road, I am sure I have heard they are not very reliable...but I could be wrong
Mark

My understanding from the NAMM announcement is that the GF3 key action in the CA99 has been modified to resolve the main reliability issue in the GF2, and improve the action bottoming feel. However, dare I suggest that being a new action, albeit based on the GF2, there may be other newly introduced unknown reliability issues down the road; unless the changes from GF2 are minimal so that the the risk of further new issues are minimal too. Whatever, I think you will need to try it in person.

G
G
And a more sophisticate physical modelling ...(virtual technician).

Page 10 of 40 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission