2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
55 registered members (Beemer, accordeur, baudelairepianist, David B, Coker, AB99, 36251, BachToTheFuture, 14 invisible), 419 guests, and 570 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Technics digital piano #2927288 12/27/19 02:08 PM
A
angel2009 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I have a Technics SX-PX336. We’ve decided we’d like to sell it and are wondering what a fair price would be. It was originally $3,500. I haven’t been able to find many matches for that specific model, except for one that is asking $500.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Technics digital piano [Re: angel2009] #2927293 12/27/19 02:33 PM
MacMacMac Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A fair price is whatever a buyer and seller agree upon.
This piano might sell for $100 ... if you and the buyer are satisfied with that.
Or for $500, if you were similarly satisfied.
So ask for whatever would satisfy you.

Keep in mind that Technics has not made pianos in nearly two decades, and I suspect they'd be tough to sell.
You might do better by making a deductible donation.

Re: Technics digital piano [Re: angel2009] #2927349 12/27/19 04:20 PM
C
clothearednincompo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
It's big, heavy, outdated and possibly impossible or uneconomic to service if anything goes wrong. There's no USB for connecting to a computer or mobile device, but adapters from MIDI to USB (or Bluetooth) are available.

And it's a pretty basic model. Technics also had "arranger pianos" and at least their arranger keyboards were well respected in their time. (Which ended in early 2000's or so for all Technics branded musical instruments.)

So, I don't think it's very desirable.

Then again, there are always uneducated buyers who pay too much. And/or buy outdated technology.

Of course it still has 88 keys, some black, some white, all more or less piano-like in playing feel and it's okay for a beginner.

I wouldn't buy it at all and $500 could be an absolute maximum.

Educated buyers will ask for specifications which are found e.g. at https://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/SX-PX336.html?t=specs

Re: Technics digital piano [Re: angel2009] #2927600 12/28/19 01:04 PM
S
SoundThumb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Approached from a financial point of view, at a depreciation rate of 15%/yr, this DP is worth about $100 after 20 or 21 years. In other words, it has lost virtually all of its value and with shipping and handling, could have negative value (i.e. could actually cost to dispose of).

However, from a non-financial point of view, this DP has probably provided much more enjoyment than its original cost, and now its worth is entirely due to the emotional attachment. In that case I would suggest that what you should look for is not the money you can get out of it, but a good home for the instrument. That is, finding someone who can continue to enjoy it, a new student perhaps. Since people will value something more if they have to pay for it, you don't want to offer it for free, rather a more nominal price of $100 -$200. Then be prepared to lower that to something as low as $50 depending upon who makes an offer and if it looks like it would be a good home.

All of this is just one person's opinion, but since you asked...

Hoping it finds a good home,
SoundThumb

[Linked Image]
Re: Technics digital piano [Re: angel2009] #2927601 12/28/19 01:06 PM
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by angel2009
I have a Technics SX-PX336. We’ve decided we’d like to sell it and are wondering what a fair price would be. It was originally $3,500. I haven’t been able to find many matches for that specific model, except for one that is asking $500.

Hi,

The easiest way to determine used market value for a digital piano is to use Ebays advanced search engine ie, to find sold listing of used items sold over the last 18 month.

It can be very tempting due to the high retail price to over estimate the value of a used digital. For example, the Roland V-piano came out in 2009 and was ludicrously over-priced. Whilst having a high spec for the time, by 2019, it is 3 evolutions of the piano action behind current models and the piano tone (whilst expressive) isn't as accurate as current Roland pianos sold at a much lower price. I noticed there is 3 v-pianos on ebay currently, all asking for around £2,500.

The last few sold listings for the v-piano on ebay are around £900. Looking at the specs, it really doesn't compare well with more modern used instruments selling for £750. Therefore, I doubt the sellers of the recent v-piano listings are going to get a quick sale.

My advice is to find out what other people have sold this model for, and maybe pitch at the higher end but if nobody bites, start to bring the price down. If you still get no interest, you may have to go lower than the cheapest eBay sold listing and greatly expand the number of websites you advertise on.

Kind regards,

Doug.

Ps: I would never buy that model myself and probably nobody knowledge would. Maybe a Technics fan would, or someone who genuinely can't afford a modern instrument. I think that's your market, so maybe try Facebook Market place as well as eBay.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Re: Technics digital piano [Re: angel2009] #2927624 12/28/19 02:21 PM
E
EPW Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
I have a 22+ year old Technic and as Doug said it isn't worth much now if anything. I think you would be better off trying to donate it.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Re: Technics digital piano [Re: angel2009] #2927627 12/28/19 02:27 PM
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have to say, for a DP from the year 1999, the specs are not so bad... I think at that time it was a very good digital instrument:
64 notes polyphony, 4 concert grand sounds, 4 upright sounds, 5 electric, 5 modern, 4 harpsichord, 4 vibes, 4 strings, 4 vocal, 24 organ presets, and other 292 sounds for GM compatibility, for a total of 350 sounds. It has 200W (2x100W) speakers! It can record your playing up to 20000 notes and you can save/play your songs on a floppy disk drive! I wonder how the keyboard action feels after 20 years...

Re: Technics digital piano [Re: angel2009] #2927637 12/28/19 03:04 PM
R
redfish1901 Offline
R
I had a very similar piano in the mid 1990s. It had unweighted keys and the 200W sound system was not something to write home about.

I think the only proper analogy is a 3,500$ electronics (High end TV, VCR, PC, etc) from the same era: probably there are no buyers for such things and so it’s worth is almost nothing.

Re: Technics digital piano [Re: angel2009] #2927645 12/28/19 03:26 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
One has floated in and out of the local craigslist ads for the last 5 years or so. I think the last time I saw it, the asking price was "down" to about $500. Of course, this is Texas, where people think their turds are diamonds, and they think nothing of keeping their junk posted on craigslist for decades at ridiculously high prices, hoping to strike it rich and become the next J.R. Ewing.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX Lite
Pianist since April, 2015
Re: Technics digital piano [Re: angel2009] #2927666 12/28/19 04:35 PM
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If it has unweighted keys then its value is very poor, being that you cannot learn to play properly a piano on unweighted or semi-weighted keys. But if it has weighted keys (and they are in good conditions, with no broken contacts or similar issues) then it may still have some value (I think $2-300).

Re: Technics digital piano [Re: magicpiano] #2927764 12/29/19 01:48 AM
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by magicpiano
It can record your playing up to 20000 notes and you can save/play your songs on a floppy disk drive!

Says it all. Floppy disks are not made anymore. It's an antique, as useful as a fortepiano from the Cristofori era is for playing modern piano works.

Digital pianos from the 90s did cost ridiculous amounts of money and weren't even close to their acoustic counterparts. They were not considered being useful at all for serious piano practice back then and even less today. Their current value is $0.

Yamaha P-515 | Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7506
Re: Technics digital piano [Re: JoeT] #2927798 12/29/19 06:43 AM
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoeT
It can record your playing up to 20000 notes and you can save/play your songs on a floppy disk drive!

Says it all. Floppy disks are not made anymore. It's an antique, as useful as a fortepiano from the Cristofori era is for playing modern piano works.
What I meant was just that at the time (1999) it could be considered a very good product with all those features (not all the DPs had a floppy disk in those years). I checked some youtube video and it didn't sound so bad. I think it sounds like a current low-end Casio digital keyboard. I kinda like it from an historical point of view, in the same way I like '80 & '90 synth keyboards and old home computers, like a Commodore 64, an Amiga 500, etc., so maybe it could still have some value for collectors. The value of a thing is the value you give to it. The main problem is that it's a cabinet style DP, so it's a big and heavy thing and this would make much more difficult to find a buyer.

Digital pianos from the 90s did cost ridiculous amounts of money and weren't even close to their acoustic counterparts. They were not considered being useful at all for serious piano practice back then and even less today. Their current value is $0.
As I said before, if the keys are unweighted/semiweighted then I agree with you and the owner should consider to donate it if he doesn't have enough space to keep it. Maybe it could be used as an organ in a church.

Re: Technics digital piano [Re: angel2009] #2936761 01/21/20 02:27 PM
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
I found a Technics that seems to match your description at Goodwill yesterday. They want $45 for it. It has the heavy wooden cabinet and two pedals installed in a nice wood crosspiece.

I hit a couple of keys around middle C and assumed it was unweighted. Kind of strange, for 88 keys and some nice wood cabinetry. On my way out I tried it again and realized the keys at either end of the keyboard feel pretty decent, but the heavily played ones in the middle are worn out. Obviously this thing was played, and played heavily for years. For sure someone got a huge benefit out of it. I imagine a lot of digitals, like rowing machines, sit in a corner unused for decades.

If they delivered I might have considered offering $5. But they don't, and I don't have a truck.

gotta go practice
Re: Technics digital piano [Re: magicpiano] #2936995 01/22/20 07:08 AM
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

What I meant was just that at the time (1999) it could be considered a very good product with all those features (not all the DPs had a floppy disk in those years).

It can't be considered a "very good product" and this is why nobody remembers digital pianos from 1990s (unlike home computers from the 1980s). They needed to add all this 1990s fluff (like a unimpressive off-the-shelf floppy drive), because these early contenders completely failed at accomplishing the core task of playing and sounding like an actual piano. Unlike analog synths, there is nothing worth collecting either.

The value of a thing is the value you give to it. The main problem is that it's a cabinet style DP, so it's a big and heavy thing and this would make much more difficult to find a buyer.

It has heat value. The best thing to do with such a prototype from the infancy of an industry is to gain back the wasted natural resources (like precious metals) through careful recycling, while using all the excess wood to heat a furnace, so the poor dead tree used in production of this useless product served an actual purpose.

No, I'm not kidding, that's the most sensible thing you can do with such a thing.

Yamaha P-515 | Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7506
Re: Technics digital piano [Re: angel2009] #2936998 01/22/20 07:28 AM
MacMacMac Offline
Considering that angel2009 hasn't replied since his original post on Dec 27 ... this all seems like a lot of needless chatter.

Joe: It seems reasonable to advise him that he's not likely to get his proposed $500 for that piano. But you're not helping him by saying he should consider burning it as firewood.

Re: Technics digital piano [Re: JoeT] #2937006 01/22/20 07:52 AM
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T

It has heat value. The best thing to do with such a prototype from the infancy of an industry is to gain back the wasted natural resources (like precious metals) through careful recycling, while using all the excess wood to heat a furnace, so the poor dead tree used in production of this useless product served an actual purpose.

Or..........it's a nice cabinet, already sized for an 88 key keyboard. I would consider throwing away the mechanism and transplanting a modern weighted key into it. Some people retrofit them into acoustics, and this would be much easier.

gotta go practice
Re: Technics digital piano [Re: JoeT] #2937082 01/22/20 12:10 PM
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

It can't be considered a "very good product" and this is why nobody remembers digital pianos from 1990s (unlike home computers from the 1980s). They needed to add all this 1990s fluff (like a unimpressive off-the-shelf floppy drive), because these early contenders completely failed at accomplishing the core task of playing and sounding like an actual piano. Unlike analog synths, there is nothing worth collecting either.
In the '90s a floppy-disk was not fluff. It was the most used technology to store little amount of data, like midi files and settings files. I have a Roland XP-50 Keyboard Synth from the '90s with a floppy-disk drive. IMHO it's still a great synth for electronic music and I would never dispose of it. The floppy was very useful to transfer files between my PC and the keyboard.

The value of a thing is the value you give to it. The main problem is that it's a cabinet style DP, so it's a big and heavy thing and this would make much more difficult to find a buyer.

No, I'm not kidding, that's the most sensible thing you can do with such a thing.

As I said, if the keyboard is not damaged or too worn out, it could be used as an organ or an electric piano (maybe in a church). Or you can use its cabinet to fit in an ES110 or P125 or Roland FP30, etc., like TimR said in the post above. It could be donated or it could be sold for a small amount, but I would not suggest the OP to burn it...

Moderated by  Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway fallboard lettering
by Lushey1 - 02/21/20 04:30 AM
How do you deal with sweaty hands?
by PracticingPianist - 02/21/20 01:34 AM
FP 90 Question...
by GWILLY - 02/21/20 12:27 AM
I am inspired to write some music
by MichaelJK - 02/20/20 10:51 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,098
Posts2,928,235
Members96,057
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission