2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
29 registered members (FonzNL, Calavera, Boboulus, HC110, FrankCox, JackyjdbLipp, Fritz Brause, 9 invisible), 234 guests, and 360 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? #2936914 01/21/20 09:55 PM
N
Normangh Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I've owned and loved playing the Kawai VPC-1 for a few years now. I know that the question of there being a successor to the VPC-1 released at NAMM 2020 was on the minds of many. The main upgrade on a successor would most likely be the keyboard action and with the new Grand Feel III action on the CA99 and CA79 being recently released, I was anticipating something new...

Is there any insight or thoughts on the subject?

Young Chang Y-121 upright acoustic, Kawai VPC-1 piano controller (Garritan CFX/Ravenscroft 275/Lounge Lizard), Roland RD-2000 stage piano, QSC K.2 series speakers, Audio Technica ATH-R70x open back headphones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Xenyx X1222 16 input mixer
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: Normangh] #2936920 01/21/20 10:20 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Normangh
I've owned and loved playing the Kawai VPC-1 for a few years now. I know that the question of there being a successor to the VPC-1 released at NAMM 2020 was on the minds of many. The main upgrade on a successor would most likely be the keyboard action and with the new Grand Feel III action on the CA99 and CA79 being recently released, I was anticipating something new...

Niche product which meets the needs of its users. Why would Kawai update it? (Do I sound like Kawai James? grin ha )

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: Normangh] #2936935 01/22/20 12:03 AM
Granyala Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Releasing a VPC-1 with a GF-III would cannibalize too many sales from their furniture pianos, esp if they keep the current price point.
Also I am not sure how well GF-II and III work with slab models, I darkly remember KJ stating that due to the hammer shape, the casing would need to be re-designed.

Only real update opportunity would be the GF3 pedals and Kawai probably doesn't consider that enough of an upgrade to release a new model.

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 6 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: Normangh] #2936942 01/22/20 01:05 AM
N
newer player Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Maybe there are a finite number of old RM3II parts in stock and once they are used, the VPC1 hits EOL. I suppose it is possible Kawai still is making RM3II actions in the factory, but not so likely for one niche product. In any case, Kawai can't have a dozen different digital piano actions in production.

VPC2 upgrades in my view might include GFC and new pedals, as those have been around for some time. Redesigning the case is not a difficult effort to be frank.

I see some pent up demand as the VPC1 has been around a while, there are a lot of good recent virtual pianos, powerful computer prices have dropped a lot. This is a niche product with no direct competition, so all we can do is speculate.

Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: Granyala] #2936973 01/22/20 05:00 AM
johnstaf Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Granyala
Releasing a VPC-1 with a GF-III would cannibalize too many sales from their furniture pianos, esp if they keep the current price point.

They might cannibalise their furniture piano sales, but they're also losing the customers who want neither a big wooden case nor the VPC-1. I'd probably buy the VPC-2 with the GFIII action, or else the Roland FP100 (or whatever it's going to be called) if they put their latest action in it.

Last edited by johnstaf; 01/22/20 05:05 AM.
Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: Normangh] #2936979 01/22/20 05:26 AM
CyberGene Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
VPC1 is perfect. No need for an upgrade.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: Normangh] #2936983 01/22/20 06:07 AM
U
U3piano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
U
I think there is no competition, so market wise there is no need to update it.

It's still the only choice if you want a slab type controller with full length keysticks/seesaw mechanism. (Aside from the mp11(se))

Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: Normangh] #2936987 01/22/20 06:35 AM
peterws Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

The GF-C keyboard would fit into the same case, like it was made for it. It would seem the obvious decent choice for many. I would expect it to happen soon.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: peterws] #2936989 01/22/20 06:44 AM
U
U3piano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by peterws

The GF-C keyboard would fit into the same case, like it was made for it. It would seem the obvious decent choice for many. I would expect it to happen soon.

In combination with better pedals, that would be very attractive.

Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: U3piano] #2936993 01/22/20 07:01 AM
johnstaf Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by U3piano
I think there is no competition, so market wise there is no need to update it.

It's still the only choice if you want a slab type controller with full length keysticks/seesaw mechanism. (Aside from the mp11(se))

The VPC-1 doesn't have full length keysticks. The distance from the player to the balance rail means it has a very short effective length.

Last edited by johnstaf; 01/22/20 07:02 AM.
Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: U3piano] #2937000 01/22/20 07:33 AM
S
slobajudge Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

If we are agree to keep VPC as a mainly piano controller with clean looks and without other synth adds, then as a owner of VPC1 I think that for successor one thing is crucial, one is recommended, and one comes naturally. Crucial is new pedal unit. Recommended is flat top desk and natural is new action just because times goes by and it will come naturally as a newer and better option (maybe) whatever action they put inside after RM3. Till that happened, VPC1 is still fantastic controller for piano playing without serious competition in midi world.

Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: U3piano] #2937002 01/22/20 07:42 AM
P
Pete14 Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P

+1

Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: Normangh] #2937091 01/22/20 12:29 PM
J
Jethro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I play regularly on my VPC 1 during the work week and a Shigeru Kawai SK2 ( which KawaiDon called me yesterday will be voiced/tuned/regulated by the their best MPA in Japan who does all the world's concert Shigery grands- yay!) and I have no problems with it. It serves its purpose very well and I don't see what an upgrade would do to make it any better without diminishing returns. I practice the entire Busoni D minor Chaconne from beginning to end on it and I don't see it failing in its capabilities. Overall, I would never mistake it for my Shigeru and if you want something that plays, feels, sounds like an acoustic piano you would be best served by just buying the best acoustic you can afford. I would say for the electronics geeks amongst us if I would recommend an upgrade to the VPC-1 I would say, yes improve the pedals, maybe slight improvements to the action, and more sensibly install a small computer with an SSD drive into the VPC that can accept VST's through a thumb drive. I would buy that, but mostly likely most people would not buy one unless there was an onboard "sample" VST already included. Manufacturers could do this like the the Yamaha CFX "lite" version and then offer upgrades software-wise. I just don't think most people looking at digitals pianos today would buy this unless they can hear the clear sound differences between VSTS and onboard sounds.

Last edited by Jethro; 01/22/20 12:31 PM.

Working on:

Bach/Busoni Chaconne in D minor BWV 1004
Chopin: G Minor Ballade
Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: Normangh] #2937098 01/22/20 12:38 PM
Frédéric L Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The Yamaha P515 with its NWX keyboard is quite good... and we have a piano sound generator and its amplification.... then, I would surely think twice before purchasing a VPC-1.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: Granyala] #2937124 01/22/20 01:29 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Granyala

Also I am not sure how well GF-II and III work with slab models, I darkly remember KJ stating that due to the hammer shape, the casing would need to be re-designed.

IIRC, that was for the MP11's case, why GF2 couldn't be a drop-in replacement for the GF1 when the MP11SE was released. From my own informal measurements, I think the only physical conflict in the case would be the Bando KT-032 transformer which would need to be repositioned--otherwise, a GF2 looks like it might fit just fine.

The VPC-1 has a much smaller housing for the shorter RM3-Grand 2 action, and wouldn't fit any GF action without a full redesign.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: Jethro] #2937139 01/22/20 02:14 PM
K
Kougeru Offline
K
Originally Posted by Jethro
you would be best served by just buying the best acoustic you can afford.

Lol... That's not even realistic for most people. That's why people look at digital pianos in this pride range. VCP1 is only around $2000 after taxes. The "best acoustic" I've seen around that price are used low quality uprights with a lot of potential issues. Sure you could get lucky. Or you could get something smaller, reliable, and very realistic. If the VCP2 came out with an even more realistic action, that's even better. Not everyone lives in a big city with a massive selection of cheap GOOD used acoustic pianos.

Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: Frédéric L] #2937280 01/22/20 06:37 PM
peterws Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
The Yamaha P515 with its NWX keyboard is quite good... and we have a piano sound generator and its amplification.... then, I would surely think twice before purchasing a VPC-1.

The Yamaha P515 as a controller, isn't that good imo although I'd need to spend more time fiddling. It doesn't go up to 127 and requires drastic alteration to the 45 deg Pianoteq velocity curve to achieve a reasonable sound. the Roland FP50 was much better for this.
But, lucky me, I'm happy with the onboard piano sounds. They are good, they are different and I can use most happily.
If you want to use a standard DP as a controller, you really need to try it out in the shop.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: Normangh] #2937300 01/22/20 07:43 PM
MacMacMac Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You're right. Turn off the sound on the P515 and you have a VPC replacement.

Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: Normangh] #2937334 01/22/20 10:28 PM
R
R111 Offline
R

I wonder if Kawai gave up on the VPC-1 successors simply because of the difficulty of properly demonstrating the unit. Maybe sales volume were too low. No manufacturer seems interested in that path.

It may be more likely to see a modular instrument in the future where you can swap out various trims of sound engines. It could be very profitable.

Last edited by R111; 01/22/20 10:31 PM.
Re: No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts? [Re: R111] #2937356 01/22/20 11:37 PM
Kawai James Offline
Originally Posted by R111
I wonder if Kawai gave up on the VPC-1 successors simply because of the difficulty of properly demonstrating the unit.

The VPC1 is a more difficult product to demonstrate than a stand-alone digital piano, this is true.

However, by now, I believe most consumers interested in virtual piano software will already be familiar with the VPC1, and aware of Kawai's reputation, to the point where a traditional demonstration is perhaps no longer necessary.

Still, it would be useful if more brick and mortar Kawai dealers (especially those in the US...) had a VPC1 on the floor to allow customers to play-test the action, and perhaps even bring their own laptop (running their favourite VI) to connect-up and try.

Maybe sales volume were too low.

According to the data I have here, 2019 was a good year for VPC1 sales.

No manufacturer seems interested in that path.

There are quite a few manufactures producing MIDI controllers - Roland announced an updated A-88mkII at NAMM last week.

It may be more likely to see a modular instrument in the future where you can swap out various trims of sound engines. It could be very profitable.

May I ask if you are familiar with the modular smartphone called "Project Ara" developed by Google?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Flying pianos in russia today
by Maximillyan - 02/23/20 02:25 AM
PCI Express card for VST playback
by Osho - 02/23/20 12:18 AM
Has anyone heard these tunes
by Jonky Ponky - 02/22/20 11:08 PM
Alternative Scale Fingering
by HC110 - 02/22/20 10:16 PM
Grand piano touch too light
by Coda9 - 02/22/20 09:35 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,132
Posts2,928,846
Members96,076
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission