2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
56 registered members (Carey, Abdol, Bobby Badd, bobrunyan, Catlady, BethRH, 14 invisible), 410 guests, and 452 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Fingering for a D major arpeggio #2936750 01/21/20 01:59 PM
R
RhaegarTargaryen Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I'm struggling a bit on the middle section of Chopin's Nocturne 9 opus 1. I'm seeing videos of performers using 5-3-2-1 on the D-A-D-F# arpeggio and others use 5-3-1-2

Examples:

https://youtu.be/kKJbabxjnEw?t=99

https://youtu.be/fvVfi9K7nQ8?t=108

Is there a correct way or is it personal preference?Neither feels particular great for me. I guess crossing over feels more natural but its make transitioning harder as well as concentrating on the right hand melody. I have smaller hands and it's quite the effort to curve my hand to avoid the C#/Db key and then swing around to hit the F#

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Fingering for a D major arpeggio [Re: RhaegarTargaryen] #2936753 01/21/20 02:11 PM
H
Hakki Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
H
Put 1 on 3rd D. That is also the fingering in my Ekier National Edition

Re: Fingering for a D major arpeggio [Re: Hakki] #2936754 01/21/20 02:16 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hakki
Put 1 on 3rd D. That is also the fingering in my Ekier National Edition

Yes, use the thumb on second D and cross-over. Rotate your wrist to the right as you play the second D.
To practice, play the last D and F sharp repeatedly and slowly until the movement is ingrained. Then you can concentrate on the right hand. Do not put them together until the left hand is automatic and not a problem

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Fingering for a D major arpeggio [Re: RhaegarTargaryen] #2936757 01/21/20 02:17 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Everything feels awkward if you're not used to it. Use whichever fingering feels more comfortable.

At a slow tempo, this is the right piece to practice arpeggios like these, which abound in Romantic music. When you start playing faster music, you'll really appreciate having mastered this kind of LH arpeggios.

Incidentally, I have small hands (reaching 10ths in LH with difficulty and only with preparation, 9ths in RH only) but I have no problem using either fingering. With 5-3-2-1, you need a lot of "wrist rotation".

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Fingering for a D major arpeggio [Re: RhaegarTargaryen] #2936760 01/21/20 02:25 PM
M
MichelSC97 Offline
M
I used 5-3-2-1, but you can play that arpeggio with both. Usually is recommended to use a personal fingering, depending on which ones make you play comfortable and with a proper sound.

My hands can reach a 9th, if that info is useful. If "swinging" the hand across the arpeggio is hard, maybe you need more stretch exercises or just practice. Try playing the arpeggio without the middle Db (Db - Ab - F - Ab - Db) with 5 - 3 - 1. Also playing Db - Ab - Db with 5 - 3 - 2 could help.

Re: Fingering for a D major arpeggio [Re: RhaegarTargaryen] #2936772 01/21/20 03:07 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by RhaegarTargaryen

I know that the OP's question was about left hand fingering for the arpeggiated bass. However, watching this video just shows (to me) how misleading, unreliable and just plain bad some online so-called "tutorials" can be for those who might be seeking guidance.

If you watch this player's right hand, you will see that there is no attempt at legato fingering of the octaves. In many instances the right hand notes aren't even held for their full value; just hit the note and let the damper pedal do the rest. That, by any standards that I have been taught, is just bad technique and sloppy playing!

[end of rant!]

Then watch how Barton does it. [Sorry, the second video wouldn't like on this post.]

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Fingering for a D major arpeggio [Re: RhaegarTargaryen] #2936852 01/21/20 06:36 PM
pianoloverus Online Content
Online Content
Sometimes no fingering choice feels really good. You have to choose the lesser of two evils.

Re: Fingering for a D major arpeggio [Re: RhaegarTargaryen] #2936876 01/21/20 07:39 PM
MichaelJK Online Content
Online Content
I wouldn't be afraid to experiment with several other fingerings, too. For example, 5-5-3-1, or 5-4-2-1. I think any of these could work. But, I try to avoid crossing whenever humanly possible.

Re: Fingering for a D major arpeggio [Re: MichaelJK] #2936896 01/21/20 08:41 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MichaelJK
I wouldn't be afraid to experiment with several other fingerings, too. For example, 5-5-3-1, or 5-4-2-1. I think any of these could work. But, I try to avoid crossing whenever humanly possible.

The goal in fingering the arpeggio should be to have a legato sound. I would therefore not consider 5 5 3 1 as an option.

Re: Fingering for a D major arpeggio [Re: dogperson] #2936933 01/21/20 11:50 PM
MichaelJK Online Content
Online Content
Originally Posted by dogperson

The goal in fingering the arpeggio should be to have a legato sound. I would therefore not consider 5 5 3 1 as an option.

If you use the pedal, there's no reason it can't sound legato. (always bearing in mind that the piano is a percussion instrument which never actually sounds legato)

Last edited by MichaelJK; 01/21/20 11:51 PM.
Re: Fingering for a D major arpeggio [Re: MichaelJK] #2936944 01/22/20 01:18 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson

If you use the pedal, there's no reason it can't sound legato. (always bearing in mind that the piano is a percussion instrument which never actually sounds legato)

I do not agree with the statement that using the damper pedal will be same effect irrespective of the fingering.... but each pianist will need to listen and make his/her own decision.

Re: Fingering for a D major arpeggio [Re: RhaegarTargaryen] #2937382 01/23/20 02:11 AM
F
florhof Offline
F
Learn from the masters (especially watch the slight wrist movement at 02:20 ff): Vladimir Ashkenazy playing Chopin op. 9 No 1

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway fallboard lettering
by Lushey1 - 02/21/20 04:30 AM
How do you deal with sweaty hands?
by PracticingPianist - 02/21/20 01:34 AM
FP 90 Question...
by GWILLY - 02/21/20 12:27 AM
I am inspired to write some music
by MichaelJK - 02/20/20 10:51 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,098
Posts2,928,235
Members96,057
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission