2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 12 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
I don't know enough about audio to discuss about it, really. Never thought that those splitters could cause impedance problems or even damage your gear. Think I'll give up looking for a simple solution to my problem because there simply isn't one.
I have a Behringen Q502USB mixer but as I've said before, don't want to use a mixer, involving even more wires. A Bluetooth solution is out of the question either, since audio lags via Bluetooth.
Still, don't understand why Kawai couldn't even put a simple audio input on the ES110, wouldn't have made the piano that much more expensive. It's got fancy Bluetooth midi, but no way of hearing that fancy connected iPad when using headphones.

Yes, the Yamaha P125 has the best connections, audio and midi over one USB cable, but then they did a Kawai and skimped on something else, the keybed : if they had put something like the GH3 in there, the P125 might have crushed all the competition in one fell swoop (if Korg can put the RH3 in the D1, then surely Yamaha could have done the same with the P125).

Anyway, it's my problem, ultimately. I'll just dig further. Guess I'll do some more research on the PX-S1000. Chances are I'll get tired of 'compromising', which is what you have to do at this price level (I'm quite spoiled with my MP11SE).

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...
Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...
Kawai CA58, Korg Liano, Arturia Minilab 3, Arturia Minilab MkII, Arturia Minifreak
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChrisGoesPiano

Still, don't understand why Kawai couldn't even put a simple audio input on the ES110, wouldn't have made the piano that much more expensive. It's got fancy Bluetooth midi, but no way of hearing that fancy connected iPad when using headphones.

That's not true. Your iPad can send all the MIDI data it wants to the ES110, which will happily play it back through its tone generator. Very useful for working with MIDI software like sheet music editors.

Obviously you want something different: audio for backing tracks, but that's not an entry level feature. Entry level digital pianos are "solo piano only" instruments. Or in other words: You get what you pay for.

Did you notice, that all entry level digital pianos are also missing the microphone input the Roland FP-90 offers, so you can't sing along? Guess why.

Yamaha P-515
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by rintincop
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter

I had not seen mixers that small before, cool. Probably more to come.

I did not watch the entire video but I doubt this is any better than a cheap Y cable as suggested above. And I agree with those that do not think it is a good idea (unless there is a battery hidden anywhere that makes these active).

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
There is a headphone in a candy box project that maybe could be modified to accept to inputs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMoy

[Linked Image]

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by EVC2017

I had not seen mixers that small before, cool. Probably more to come.

I did not watch the entire video but I doubt this is any better than a cheap Y cable as suggested above. And I agree with those that do not think it is a good idea (unless there is a battery hidden anywhere that makes these active).

I think you quoted the wrong post ...

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I think you quoted the wrong post ...

OOPS. blush confused

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E

Now quoting the right message...

Chris, I did not watch the entire video but I doubt this is any better than a cheap Y cable aforementioned. And I agree with those that do not think it is a good idea (unless there is a battery hidden anywhere that makes these things active). If you are the DYI kind and have some familiarity with electronics, modifying the Cmoy linked above would be fairly simple and solve your problem.

S
S
Originally Posted by ChrisGoesPiano
Have given up, there is no solution to my problem.
And it's not just the ES110 : Korg D1, Roland FP30 also have this problem. The Yamaha P125 comes with AUX In and even audio over USB : a true example to all the rest, but unfortunately, let down by the key action.
Perfection really does not exist. Sigh..

Well, obviously not when you only look at the cheaper models. When you spend less you get less; be that features, sound or touch. There are more expensive instruments that have all you want. There are cheaper ones that will lack things. The choice is yours.

I myself dont care much for cars, and when I buy one I have a tiny budget. As such I don't get a brand-new blistering-fast, uktra-safe and eco-friendly feature laden vehicle. My last car didn't even have electric windows or a tachometer.

That is fine, we all get what we pay for. smile

Think I'll take a closer look at the Roland RD-88. It's more expensive, but it's still reasonable.

It may be overkill for me as far as available sounds are concerned, but if it has enough convincing piano sounds, then I'm happy.
Plus, the PHA4 keybed is bound to be at least as good as the one in the PX-S1000 or ES110. Triple sensor, escapement, support for Roland's RPU3 pedal unit, and built-in speakers (they should be enough for my use case).
No music rest but I can get a K&M Omega stand and use a second tier with a laptop holder or something similar. Plenty of options. And last but not least, all the necessary connections.
But no headphone out in the front. Annoying...

21st century...
Kawai CA58, Korg Liano, Arturia Minilab 3, Arturia Minilab MkII, Arturia Minifreak
RinTin Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
My favorite piano setting in the Kawai ES110 has the greatest clarity and touch response after it is edited:

"Studio Grand 2" after these edits
Touch Light
Voicing Dark
Brightness +1
Room Reverb
save to a Registration

These edits make it Studio Grand 2 more legato, fatter, and easier to play. It becomes just right for jazz single note soloing, almost flowing like legato a saxophone. In comparison, the other onboard piano samples are a bit too punchy in their hammer strikes.

Here's how to get a great classic vintage clean tone Rhodes after these edits:
Touch Hard
Auto Pan OFF
Room Reverb
save to a Registration

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
RinTin Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
The Studio Grand 2 samples have more tone sustain after the initial hammer strike than the other onboard piano samples. It's a bit thin and bright with its normal touch, but set it to its Dark Voicing and to Light Touch and it becomes transformed into a full bodied highly melodic piano. The sustain after the hammer attack is superior. It's excellent for bebop lines.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
Coming back once more to the headphone conundrum :
These headphones from Marshall might be the answer.
https://www.marshallheadphones.com/gb/en/major-iii.html

They sport two 3.5 mm jack ports, one to connect your audio source to, and the other one for sharing your music with a friend (who plugs his headphones into yours). The neat thing, however, is that both ports are bi-directional which theoretically means you could listen to two audio sources at the same time...

There's also a Bluetooth version, with just one 3.5 mm port (obviously, in this case, one audio source is bluetooth, the other wired)...
Granted, they're not the best headphones for perfect studio listening (they're officially Hifi headphones), but they're pretty solid, nonetheless. And I'm not looking for professional headphones, anyway. The wired version is cheap as an added bonus.

Haven't found any confirmation on the net yet, but I assume this could work (unless you're going suggest that connecting two audio sources to these headphones will make my head explode...) laugh

Last edited by ChrisGoesPiano; 02/11/20 10:04 AM.

21st century...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My favorite piano setting in the Kawai ES110 has the greatest clarity and touch response after it is edited:

"Studio Grand 2" after these edits
Touch Light
Voicing Dark
Brightness +1
Room Reverb
save to a Registration

These edits make it Studio Grand 2 more legato, fatter, and easier to play. It becomes just right for jazz single note soloing, almost flowing like legato a saxophone. In comparison, the other onboard piano samples are a bit too punchy in their hammer strikes.
Interesting, considering that the "Studio Grand 2" is based on a very old sample set from Kawai, the same used for the "Concert Grand 2" piano patch.
But I don't think it does exist a "Dark" voicing option in the ES110. There are Normal, Mellow, Dynamic, Bright. So, did you mean "Mellow"?

B
B
Concerning the ES110 ... is it possible to turn the bell off on beat 1 of the metronome ?

U
U
Thanks Rin Tin. That works very good for me. Think you mean ‘mellow’ not ‘dark’.

Got the outputs going into two small (45w) active monitors tucked behind the es110 speakers. There’s space on the stand.

I leave the es speakers on too.

B
B
For anyone else who would like to turn off the bell and like me has never heard of the 1/4 time signature:

1) I would like to turn off the bell on the metronome but cannot find out how to do this in the manual.

By default the ES110's Metronome will sound with a 4/4 time signature, with a bell to indicate the first bar.
If you would prefer not to hear this bell sound, I would recommend changing the time signature to a 1/4 time signature, which will produce just a click.

Please refer to page 17 of the ES110 owner's manual:
https://www.kawai-global.com/data/manuals/ES110_EN_R103.pdf#page=17

Here are the required steps:
1. Press and hold the LESSON and PIANO buttons simultaneously.
2. While holding the buttons, press the A#0 key - this is the bottom-most A# key - the second key of the keyboard when counting from the left side.
3. The Metronome setting should change from 4/4 to 1/4, and you should no longer hear the bell sound.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Bebe, did the above advice work for you?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
B
Thanks James it did.

That's good, happy to help!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission