2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 192 of 302 1 2 190 191 192 193 194 301 302
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by sleutelbos
Originally Posted by CyberGene
The USB audio is mostly useful as a noiseless alternative to the line-in, not line-out.

Haha, that would even be a bigger no-go for me, it would be an absolute routing nightmare for me! I plan to simply connect two mono-bus channels to the line-in, and route the USB-in from the pc to the mixer (plus whatever else I want) to these channels. Same with the line-in, which will go to the mixer and send both to the USB-in of the pc as well as to my Eurorack setup.

I think the common use case is to have a VST send sound directly for playback on the DP's speakers. USB-Audio provides a clean, simple one-cable solution for this (the same USB cable also serves as MIDI-OUT to the PC). Further, it eliminates ground loops, other noise from an analog source, and presumably bypasses any noise gates that may be on the DP.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
S
S
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by CyberGene
The USB audio is mostly useful as a noiseless alternative to the line-in, not line-out.

Haha, that would even be a bigger no-go for me, it would be an absolute routing nightmare for me! I plan to simply connect two mono-bus channels to the line-in, and route the USB-in from the pc to the mixer (plus whatever else I want) to these channels. Same with the line-in, which will go to the mixer and send both to the USB-in of the pc as well as to my Eurorack setup.

I think the common use case is to have a VST send sound directly for playback on the DP's speakers. USB-Audio provides a clean, simple one-cable solution for this (the same USB cable also serves as MIDI-OUT to the PC). Further, it eliminates ground loops, other noise from an analog source, and presumably bypasses any noise gates that may be on the DP.

Oh, for sure. But (correct me if I am wrong please!) I don't think it is possible to use multiple audio-out devices simultaneously in either Windows or iOS, which means that if I were to use USB for that I cannot simultaneously use my digital mixer as a secondary USB audio-out. If this is incorrect, or if future operating systems would not have this limitation, I would very much welcome this!

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I have no idea, but I suspect you're correct (choosing an audio device has always been a 1-of-x list for me). If you have a complicated setup this probably introduces complexities.

For high end digital pianos like the NV-10 and CA-99, my guess is the arranger/recorder market is smaller (or less targeted) than the solo pianists, who don't have to deal with all the extra fun hardware it seems you have smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Originally Posted by navindra
I never understand this. Without faders or some other form of multiple continuous midi controllers, what is the point of strings? I never, ever heard any single-articulation string set that was useful for anything really musical whatsoever. It doesn't bother me much, I just wont use it, but is there really a significant segment of pianists willing to spend $3000 on a DP who care for such things?

I don't really use it, but I've always found layering a piano/keyboard sound with strings to be quite interesting, or at least amusing, musically -- a bit of a chorus effect.

I use strings for layering in some pop pieces, so I do care about them in a DP. For a stage piano I consider them essential - I've used strings many times by themselves with a band (no CCs required, though an expression pedal for volume is a good idea) - and many DPs share sound sets with stage pianos.

Novus NV10
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

One thing that is conspicuously missing from the list: no USB audio interface?

Indeed. I am in an odd situation where USB audio would be pointless to me personally, but I can only assume this would actually be much more appreciated by most than line-out? Or is this where bluetooth is coming in?

USB is a bidirectional digital audio interface. Line audio is analog audio. The latter are going out of fashion in the consumer world. There was a time when even laptop computers had line inputs and outputs, but these times are long gone.

One single USB cable is all I need to integrate my P-515 into my DAW. That's a huge advantage over wiring it up to my UR-22 using at least six cables (two MIDI and four TS) while fighting ground loops.

Bluetooth doesn't matter much other than playing backing tracks into the DP.

Yamaha P-515
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Lately, I've been revisiting the NV-10's built in sounds. I still think they render better through the speakers than through headphones (through which some odd reverb effects can be heard), but I like the SK-EX Rendering much more now than I did when I first got the piano.

First, I never really appreciated how different all the different rendering characters were. There's a LOT to the underlying tone that changes between characters, that do not just seem like filter/DSP effects. Kawai James once implied that each character mixes the multi-channel sampling in real-time, which suggests that we actually have greater-than-stereo sample sets on the mainboard (and given the appropriate speaker/amp setups, could potentially be output to a multichannel array).

Also, some characters such as Full have significantly longer note decay and sustain depth than others, and "bloom" more dramatically with chords and sustained notes.

I'm also pretty sure that we'll see a firmware update in the near future to fix the "clicking" sound I reported in the key-off samples, which has made it much more enjoyable to play the SK-EX Rendered sounds.

I'm still not ready to give up on Garritan CFX, but if I had to, I wouldn't be all that sad.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Gombessa,

I'm also pretty sure that we'll see a firmware update in the near future to fix the "clicking" sound I reported in the key-off samples, which has made it much more enjoyable to play the SK-EX Rendered sounds.

My apologies if my memory is failing me, however is this something that you have reported previously (either to myself or Alan at Kawai America)?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
James, I think you actually have quite the prodigious memory, for all the things you recall from this forum over the years!

Yes I reported the issue to Alan, and for the 2nd or 3rd time when I've done so, Kawai is directly fixing the issue. in my experience, Kawai has been *remarkably* responsive to issue inquiries and bug reports with clear repro steps.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Thanks for confirming! wink

Cheers,
James
x

Gombessa, it sounds like you've received the updated firmware for testing and that the problem is addressed...can you confirm?

The clicking's been bothering me as well and I reported it to Kawai America myself earlier this week. I only notice it on certain rendering characters (Jazz, Rich, Ballad, and Pop), but with headphones it's distracting enough to keep me from using the affected ones at all. I don't think it's part of the samples as it's not present for notes triggered via MIDI input.

Novus NV10
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I'm looking for opinions on whether the Boogie character in Pianist mode is usable for a recording.

It's not as fun as the Boogie or Honky Tonk in Sound mode, but I'm interested in opinions as to whether it might pass for an acoustic piano in a recording, at the same level as Classic.

Thoughts?

The "Boogie" rendering character is not one of my favourites. If you really need to play a "detuned piano" sound, I would personally use the Honky Tony piano in Sound mode. However, if you're simply seeking a nice, woody piano sound with a vintage, soulful character, the regular Upright Piano in Sound mode would be my choice.

Cheers,
James
x

JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I don't like the "Boogie" character either. (Just like I don't like the "Pop" character - for me it's a tie between "Pop" or "Boogie" if you ask me for my least favorite rendering character, so I have no problem with Kawai's decision to drop the "Pop" character on the CA79/99 generation). But it is possible that it actually sounds good when used for playing Boogie. I wouldn't know, as I don't like Boogie (the music style) either.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Thanks very much, James and JoBert, it wasn't really resonating with me either.

I think I'm looking for a detuned effect like Honky Tonk, although it's probably not truly necessary, musically-speaking, especially if it will break the illusion of a true piano.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by JoBert
I don't like the "Boogie" character either. (Just like I don't like the "Pop" character - for me it's a tie between "Pop" or "Boogie" if you ask me for my least favorite rendering character, so I have no problem with Kawai's decision to drop the "Pop" character on the CA79/99 generation). But it is possible that it actually sounds good when used for playing Boogie. I wouldn't know, as I don't like Boogie (the music style) either.

You weren't kidding... I had a chance to audition Pop and it is unspeakably bad. I have no idea what they were attempting... going for an electric sound? It sounds extremely artificial. Easy to overlook with so many sound options available, but I'm glad they finally swung the editorial axe on this rendering.

I actually like Pop for, well, pop. It sounds to me like it was intended to sit within a mix (I was just using it to play 'Let It Be' with the recording earlier today). Not a fan of Boogie either, though.

Novus NV10
C
C
First post about my new NV10, delivered last week. I learned to play for 12 years on a Kawai grand when I was a kid so the NV10 action feels perfect. I have tried the Yamaha N1 and N3X and they were also amazing, but having played so many years on a Kawai this piano felt mich more comfortable. I also find the Yamaha sound too bright with the touch feeling too sensitive on the low end. A local acoustic dealer gave me an amazing price, about $9200 including California tax (8%) and delivery. He even upgraded my bench to an adjustable height model for free.

The speakers sound great, except that if you turn the wall mode eq on, the bottom three octaves get hollow and buzz like crazy. I’m not sure how that option ever got included! I have settled on the classic sound in pianist mode as my favorite. Sound mode is fun with all the different options but the samples and resonances just aren’t as good as the newer pianist mode. I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD58X headphones and they worked out very well- the sound is even more clear than the speakers. The piano headphone amplifier is definitely more powerful then my phone, which has trouble driving the 58X.

I can definitely tell there are things that can improve the simulation of a real acoustic. Key let-off velocity would help but after playing for a week I don’t really notice it. What I do notice is the half-pedal could use a little more feedback and more fidelity. On the acoustic, you can feel in the pedal when the dampers let off, and then modulate the force to get fine control over the level of pedal. On the NV10 it’s kind of off/half/on and you only know where you are by the sound. This is still better than the N1. Putting a force sensor, not an optical sensor, on the pedal shaft seems to be the only way this could be done as the pedal itself barely moves during half pedaling.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
@ChopperDave,

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum. As a fellow hybrid owner (N1X) I know how wonderful it is to have these beautiful instruments to play. I also own Sennheiser 58X headphones and I'm very happy with them. Sounds like you've got a great setup.

God Bless,
David

Hello Dave,

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the recent purchase of your NV10.

Regarding the damper pedal behaviour, it might be worthwhile giving Kawai America a call and speaking with one of the technicians familiar with acoustic and digital pianos. Depending on your location, it may be possible to fine-tune the damper pedal feeling to suit your preferences.

I would also recommend updating the system software (not the UI software, which should already be up-to-date) to the latest available version, via Kawai Global website.

Kind regards,
James
x

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Dave, Congratulations on your new piano. And welcome to the NV10 club on PW. yippie

Kawai NV10
Page 192 of 302 1 2 190 191 192 193 194 301 302

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission