2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
68 registered members (beginer, astrotoy, Anglagard44, Boboulus, aphexdisklavier, Bill McKaig,RPT, 20 invisible), 536 guests, and 566 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
you walk into a hotel.... #2936100 01/20/20 12:04 AM
B
bubbaXzone Offline OP
OP Offline
B
you see a grand piano....moderate amount of people going in and out and around.

You walk up.....to the piano nobody is paying attention.

FIRST THING/SONG you play? AND GO!

for me it's
Grandma from the xbox360 game "NIER"

I play that riff that repeats throughout the song a couple of times to get used to the piano and to get people's attention!
it sounds really cool and fancy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm-X7KBBacM

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: you walk into a hotel.... [Re: bubbaXzone] #2936118 01/20/20 02:24 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
I walk into a hotel and see an unplayed piano.... I ask the hotel staff if I can play it. Asking permission is highly appreciated.... and sometimes you will hear ‘no, sorry’. Honor the no if you get it.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: you walk into a hotel.... [Re: bubbaXzone] #2936231 01/20/20 10:21 AM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I walk into a hotel and see a piano. First I open the fallboard and see what the piano is. If I like the brand or it’s something I haven’t tried yet I’ll sit down at the bench. If someone hasn’t stopped me yet I’ll play some arpeggios quietly. If I like what I hear and haven’t had staff run over to me and tell me I can’t play, I’ll ask if I can play it quietly. I have Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata memorized, so I play those. I love opening fallboards to discover something new.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: you walk into a hotel.... [Re: bubbaXzone] #2936238 01/20/20 10:40 AM
B
bubbaXzone Offline OP
OP Offline
B
why you guys ask staff if you can play?

I just like the feeling of just going on there and playing and being mysterious/sneaky!

Re: you walk into a hotel.... [Re: bubbaXzone] #2936241 01/20/20 10:54 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bubbaXzone
why you guys ask staff if you can play?

I just like the feeling of just going on there and playing and being mysterious/sneaky!

I have now seen hotels lock down the piano so that it can never been played without a MANAGER to unlock.. so even if they would have allowed me to play, the manager was not on duty to unlock. Why? Possibly because of unauthorized playing during hours/times that are not convenient for plans at the hotel. The hotel staff should not need to stop what you are doing to tell you ‘no’. They leave, irritated, that you did not ask.

I also personally believe it shows respect— both for the piano as something more than just an object and for the hotel.

Last edited by dogperson; 01/20/20 10:55 AM.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: you walk into a hotel.... [Re: dogperson] #2936242 01/20/20 11:04 AM
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
... Possibly because of unauthorized playing during hours/times that are not convenient for plans at the hotel...

Possibly because of moments like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0axi3AWWpCU

Learner
Re: you walk into a hotel.... [Re: bubbaXzone] #2936261 01/20/20 11:57 AM
B
bubbaXzone Offline OP
OP Offline
B
lmao maybe i should just bring snickers with me and when somone is B****ing at me i'll just take my snickers and say...have a snickers! lmao.

I understand part of respect for the place but if the piano is not locked IT WANTS TO BE PLAYED!

I was in the city and there was this bank who had a beuatiful grand piano. And i tried playing it and ppl went crazy saying to get off right away how its only for the performers. they got so pissed and were spazzing out.
Honestly i don't see wat the big deal was. They were saying theres cameras and they don't want ppl to play it.

another time is at the public library I wanted to play the piano there and the director (who was not a nice person) was like thats only for performers not patreons . Wow I am a performer tho how dare you!

I got to play piano and there was a party going on a farewell party in other room. (this is when there was a new director) and i knocked on door and said this is a party i would like to play a song for the special person.

i played " for shes a jolly good fellow" and my boogie woogie piece and they all loved it!
I been trying to get a gig there but the library always full and hard to get something!

so if the piano is unlocked and it's a public area where nothing looks like is going on (no meetings or what not) I don't see the harm in just playing without asking. and to be frank it's more funner that way!

Re: you walk into a hotel.... [Re: bubbaXzone] #2936466 01/20/20 08:08 PM
Chernobieff Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

You walk into a hotel and .....
you overhear the bartender talking to a pirate, "Hey, I haven't seen you in a while. What happened? You look terrible."

"What do you mean?" said the pirate, "I feel fine."

"What about the wooden leg? You didn't have that before."

"Well, we were in a battle and I got hit with a cannon ball, but I'm fine now."

"Well, ok, but what about that hook? "What happened to your hand?"

"We were in another battle. I boarded a ship and got into a sword fight. My hand was cut off. I got fitted with a hook. I'm fine, really."

"What about that eye patch?"

"Oh, one day we were at sea and a flock of birds flew over. I looked up and one of them [censored] in my eye."

"You're kidding," said the bartender, "you couldn't lose an eye just from some bird [censored]."

"It was my first day with the hook."

Chernobieff Piano Restorations
Lenoir City, Tennessee U.S.A
www.chernobieffpiano.com
grandpianoman@protonmail.com
Re: you walk into a hotel.... [Re: bubbaXzone] #2936480 01/20/20 08:33 PM
L
LarryK Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Haha.

I read somewhere that ship’s captains wore a patch over one eye so that they could go below decks where it was dark and immediately be able to see by switching the patch from one eye to the other. It sort of makes sense, as captains weren’t necessarily liked by all of the sailors and it could be dangerous below decks.

Last edited by LarryK; 01/20/20 08:35 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: you walk into a hotel.... [Re: bubbaXzone] #2936547 01/21/20 02:33 AM
I
ideasculptor Offline
I
Simple - a lot of people who play the piano don't play nearly as well as they think they do. A hotel, a library, or some other private business may all have a particular atmosphere that they want to maintain, and whatever pieces you decide to play may not fit very well with it. I can well imagine a bank or a library not being particularly enamoured of someone's best Jerry Lee Lewis impersonation or rendition of The Entertainer. It is every bit as rude to walk into a hotel lobby and start playing their piano as it would be to walk into one with a boombox and to suddenly start playing the latest Eminem release at a volume audible to all the patrons in the room. It is basic politeness to ask permission, and to give them some indication of the kind of material you intend to play, prior to playing the piano in a public environment. A quick scale or riff to determine if the piano is worth playing seems inoffensive enough, and can give you an opportunity to subtly demonstrate that you know what you are doing, but then get up and ask permission.

Case in point - I did exactly that at a hotel I was staying at for business, and received permission to play more. I had barely gotten started when a drunk colleague I barely knew walked through the lobby and decided that my presence at the piano was implicit permission for him to come sit on the bench next to me and to start banging away on the piano WHILE I WAS STILL PLAYING IT. It sounded absolutely terrible - different key, different style of music, and not played well at all. It made me sound just as bad as he did. It probably looked like I invited the guy to sit with me since we clearly knew each other, but I certainly did not - he was a LOT less than sober. And if it hadn't been quite late at night, it would surely have perturbed a whole bunch of patrons of the bar. And that guy had absolutely no idea that he sounded terrible. He thought he was demonstrating all kinds of talent.

As it was, I got up and stopped playing immediately, and it took another 10 minutes for that guy to finally give it up. You could tell the staff wanted to end it, but didn't want to be rude and interrupt a customer. Whether you think you sound good or not, consider that, to someone else, you may not be making a positive impression. Don't be that guy. Respect the instrument and the other patrons of the establishment by asking for and receiving permission to play before doing so.

Re: you walk into a hotel.... [Re: bubbaXzone] #2936674 01/21/20 11:05 AM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In all truthfulness, the few hotel pianos I’ve seen in recent years looked pretty sad and looked in rough shape. Like they had quite a few songs banged out on their keyboards. It wasn’t like a beautiful new Steinway B or anything that I was so eager to sit down and play. For that Id have to drive to the Steinway dealer in Denver. And oh by the way, I heard we finally got a Steinway dealer in town. But when I went to their website, they only stock Essex and Boston right now. So if I really want to try a new Steinway B in stock I have to still drive to Denver.
veering OT I know. I’m just saying that most of the hotel pianos I’ve seen aren’t worth getting in trouble with hotel management for.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hardman Petite Grand or Yamaha T116?
by Mattster55 - 02/16/20 11:42 AM
Headphone you use?
by 36251 - 02/16/20 10:39 AM
kawai es8 v roland fp90 - help - sound v feel
by big-vern - 02/16/20 10:11 AM
96000 And Still Growing!
by Piano World - 02/16/20 10:10 AM
Cavendish pianos - has anyone ever tried one?
by williambonard - 02/16/20 05:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,990
Posts2,926,154
Members96,005
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission