2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
29 registered members (Charles Cohen, EricKovalsky, David B, DSC, Animisha, FonzNL, 7 invisible), 211 guests, and 395 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? #2935718 01/18/20 12:16 PM
C
chrisrach3 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
My 11-year-old is ready to get back into the piano. He performed the Clementi C Major Sonatina Op. 36 No. 3 a couple years ago when he was 9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSFxp7lKHRs

What's next? What level of typical method books should he be in? Level 5? 6?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: chrisrach3] #2935832 01/18/20 04:55 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
He needs a good teacher to guide him onwards. There's still a lot, lot more to learn.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: chrisrach3] #2935848 01/18/20 05:50 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
It is impossible to know your sons level a playing from one piece—- it should be an overall evaluation of skill. I am not a teacher, but I do agree with Bennevis that a teacher would be best to evaluate

That being said, the sonatina that he played in recital was quite well done. Level? AMEB rates it as level 4., but that is just one difficulty determination. But again you should not just consider this one single piece of repertoire as the level your son plays. Also take into consideration that it doesn’t seem like he has been playing for the last two years so you should not expect him to immediately jump back in at the same level he was playing.

If he does not have a teacher, consider starting back a little lower than where he ended and see how much he has retained.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: chrisrach3] #2936072 01/19/20 10:53 PM
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Two years without a piano teacher can be a LONG time for kids this young.

Originally Posted by chrisrach3
What's next? What level of typical method books should he be in? Level 5? 6?

First of all, method books imply something much lower, like the first two years of piano lessons. Secondly, it's impossible to gauge how much the kid has retained from previous lessons. An old video does absolutely nothing.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: chrisrach3] #2936206 01/20/20 09:18 AM
C
chrisrach3 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks guys, I see what you're saying about needing more info. I'm his dad and piano teacher, and we're trying to get him away from electronics and focused on piano. smile I'll go off the dogperson recommendation of level 4 and play it by ear from there.

Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: chrisrach3] #2936233 01/20/20 10:24 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Thanks guys, I see what you're saying about needing more info. I'm his dad and piano teacher, and we're trying to get him away from electronics and focused on piano. smile I'll go off the dogperson recommendation of level 4 and play it by ear from there.

To clarify: I did not actually recommend level 4. I stated you need to look at everything he was playing then in order to get an understanding of a ‘level’. One piece doesn’t do it.

And then probably DECREASE the level as he has not played in two years.
Could you possibly get him a teacher? As a parent, it is really tough to be objective.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: chrisrach3] #2936311 01/20/20 02:50 PM
C
chrisrach3 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I hear ya, thanks again for the feedback.

Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: chrisrach3] #2936414 01/20/20 06:49 PM
C
Candywoman Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I think you did a good job with him. Great to hear he's back at it. That's about RCM level 3.
Go for breadth of music rather than just level.

Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: Candywoman] #2936455 01/20/20 07:55 PM
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Candywoman
That's about RCM level 3.

No, Op. 36 No. 1 is level 3.

Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: chrisrach3] #2936625 01/21/20 08:56 AM
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

The red flag for me is that you are his dad and his teacher and that you trying to get him focused on piano. Is he interested at all? Also at age 11 he's probably ready to develop relationships with adults who are not his parents.

Learner
Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: malkin] #2936671 01/21/20 11:03 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
The red flag for me is that you are his dad and his teacher and that you trying to get him focused on piano. Is he interested at all? Also at age 11 he's probably ready to develop relationships with adults who are not his parents.

Some people homeschool their children and then music in the form of piano lessons are just considered another academic component, like English, math, social sciences, and art. I'm betting that many of the kids signed up by their parents for online piano lessons, including for stuff like Piano Marvel, are kids being homeschooled. Often such kids get their socialization with other kids through other means. Not sure how homeschooled kids developed relations with other adults though - I didn't solve that one when I was homeschooling my daughter until I hired for her her own teacher.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: chrisrach3] #2936859 01/21/20 06:41 PM
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'm not saying it could never work for a parent to teach their own kid, just that depending on the relationship and many other factors, it may fail rather spectacularly. Or it may work for a while and then become time for a different arrangement. Like school. Or a private teacher, or anything else for that matter; you just have to pay attention to how it is going. And if it doesn't work, then try something else.

Learner
Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: malkin] #2936968 01/22/20 04:05 AM
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

The red flag for me is that the "teacher" in this case is asking for "what's next." Shouldn't the teacher know what to do?

Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: AZNpiano] #2937472 01/23/20 08:19 AM
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

The red flag for me is that the "teacher" in this case is asking for "what's next." Shouldn't the teacher know what to do?

That too!

Learner
Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: AZNpiano] #2937527 01/23/20 10:30 AM
Animisha Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

The teacher is his dad, not charging anything for his lessons, and his question is perfectly reasonable. Chrisrach3, I would buy a level 2 or level 3 book with pieces from all era's, and then together with your son discover what kind of music appeals to him most, what he would like to explore more. Or maybe a level 2 or 3 method book.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: chrisrach3] #2937541 01/23/20 10:50 AM
Animisha Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
PS I would rather start with shorter and easier pieces to get him back to his previous level, than with longer and more difficult pieces. It will probably be frustrating enough to discover initially how little he remembers.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: Animisha] #2937662 01/23/20 03:39 PM
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
The teacher is his dad, not charging anything for his lessons, and his question is perfectly reasonable.

What does money have to do with anything?

Are you implying that free lessons can be taught by incompetent individuals, or that the cost justifies the teaching quality?

Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: chrisrach3] #2937771 01/23/20 08:03 PM
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
It may be that if the student is not interested, any expense is not warranted. Therefore, engaging an incompetent instructor may be the most efficient way for all parties to give up on the entire endeavor.

Learner
Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: chrisrach3] #2940162 01/29/20 09:59 AM
missbelle Offline
And,
does the son want to continue/begin again, piano lessons?

I have homeschooled my own kids and have taught at a homeschool co-op. The parent/child relationship can change depending on the subject.

Some curriculum books have a "pre-test" at the beginning, and a "review" at the end. See what he knows, theory and sight reading wise, to determine more about his level.

Learning as I teach.
Re: Clementi C Major Sonatina...what's next? [Re: bennevis] #2946777 02/14/20 11:14 AM
P
pianoMom2006 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I think you should get him a formal piano teacher if you want him to really learn how to play to a high standard. Though you may be talented at piano, you'll most likely never be able to teach as well as a professional that does it 30-40 hours a week.

Yamaha G2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Flying pianos in russia today
by Maximillyan - 02/23/20 02:25 AM
PCI Express card for VST playback
by Osho - 02/23/20 12:18 AM
Has anyone heard these tunes
by Jonky Ponky - 02/22/20 11:08 PM
Alternative Scale Fingering
by HC110 - 02/22/20 10:16 PM
Grand piano touch too light
by Coda9 - 02/22/20 09:35 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,132
Posts2,928,846
Members96,076
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission