2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by TonyB

Using tools to slow down music is something that various musicians, especially guitar players have done for a long time.

This is an interesting statement. When I started doing transcriptions in the early 60s, none of the guitarists around me did this, unlike pianists and saxophonists. The explosion of the guitarist population began later under the influence of Beatles.

Last edited by Nahum; 01/18/20 02:42 AM.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Nahum

Using tools to slow down music is something that various musicians, especially guitar players have done for a long time.

This is an interesting statement. When I started doing transcriptions in the early 60s, none of the guitarists around me did this, unlike pianists and saxophonists. The explosion of the guitarist population began later under the influence of Beatles.

I didn't start playing guitar until the early 70s, and at that time, this seemed to be pretty much standard practice. I played in a trio that played Holiday Inns, supper clubs, and resorts full time, 6 nights a week for about two years as a union sideman. The sax player and I both did this. Other musicians I met on the road (and you meet many when playing professionally), regardless of instrument, seemed to do this.

Chet Atkins took up the guitar as a kid in the 1940s, and said that he learned by listening to the radio. Similar stories come from other guitar players from that era. If anything, the stereotypical guitar player seems to be that s/he has to learn by ear because s/he can't read music. While that is true in many cases, it certainly isn't true for all. Those who do read (aside from the classically trained) seem to also have learned from recordings.

So my experience differs from yours, possibly because of the time frame, though I did cite other players from much earlier, so your post is the first I have heard of guitarists NOT doing this.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
N
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
N

So my experience differs from yours, possibly because of the time frame, though I did cite other players from much earlier, so your post is the first I have heard of guitarists NOT doing this.

Tony

We come from different countries of different regimes. In my youth it was impossible to buy jazz vinyls, or sheet music, or textbooks; and, of course, there were no teachers. Therefore, rain fell on everyone equally. In practice, if some guitarist played jazz, then only with writted notes.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

Tony

We come from different countries of different regimes. In my youth it was impossible to buy jazz vinyls, or sheet music, or textbooks; and, of course, there were no teachers. Therefore, rain fell on everyone equally. In practice, if some guitarist played jazz, then only with writted notes.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation. Though I have traveled to many countries during the course of my work as a software engineer, and later on, worked with folks in still other countries via satellite conferencing (including Israel), I would not have gotten insight into how it was growing up in these various countries.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
N
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
N
TonyB , I was born in Soviet Union.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
TonyB , I was born in Soviet Union.

OK. I have never been there, but have worked with many from your country. I thought that in some post some time ago, you mentioned where you were from, but am now sure that I remembered wrong. Thanks for clearing that up.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
C
C
I use SIBELIUS for transcribing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission