2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
Hi to all!

I would like to know how you see the tonal difference between the Avantgrand N1x and a Clavinova such as the CLP-645?
There is no doubt that the action of the N1x is way better but how do you compare the sound?

Both have Yamaha CFX (with binaural sampling) and the Bösendorfer Imperial.

Was anyone able to compare those side by side?

Just playing my NU1X.
And love it. Cheers!
E
E
This is a tuff question.

I tried both at the same store using the same headphones.
Even tough i didnt like playing the clavinova at all i think the samples
sounded the same.

D
OP Offline
D
So it was just a matter of the better action for you?

Just playing my NU1X.
And love it. Cheers!
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I’m more curious about how the upcoming CLP7XX will compare to the AvantGrands in all aspects.

I assume Yamaha will make some improvements to the sound engine? Perhaps a tweak or two for the action?
I wouldn’t mind a few more speakers for the current 645; this would bring it up to six. And hopefully they will improve the cabinet design for all the models.

E
E
Originally Posted by dima5222
So it was just a matter of the better action for you?

See thats the reason it is a tuff question for me. When i was looking for a new piano
I was looking for the package that fitted MY needs the best.
And the action was a verry important factor.

You can always change the sound with vst's, different speakers or headphones.
But you wont be able to change the action.

L
L
Originally Posted by Pete14
I’m more curious about how the upcoming CLP7XX will compare to the AvantGrands in all aspects.

When is there an upcoming CLP7XX ?
Currently at the NAMM 2020 nothing has been announced, so Kawai is still leading the game :P

Currently: NU1X
Previously: VPC-1 / CA-58 / CA-98 / CA-79
K
K
Some old posts said YAMAHA usually announces Clavinova at another event. In Spring IIRC. I'm hoping they upgrade the actions across all levels. Speaker issues I can fix myself

E
E
Originally Posted by Kougeru
Some old posts said YAMAHA usually announces Clavinova at another event. In Spring IIRC. I'm hoping they upgrade the actions across all levels. Speaker issues I can fix myself

Unfortunatly it doesent make much sense from a business perspective to bring any major improvements.
There will be tiny improvements and fixes but nothing Major.

L
L
Originally Posted by lovelovemale

When is there an upcoming CLP7XX ?
Currently at the NAMM 2020 nothing has been announced, so Kawai is still leading the game :P

One day, maybe summer namm… they have to… they seriously walking behind now compared to Roland HP, LX and Kawai CA , NV.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
The binaural sound may indeed be the same patch. However, one of the hallmarks of the AvantGrands is their multi-channel sampling output. The pianos in AGs are sampled with four channels (instead of just stereo L/R) at different points across the soundboard, and each channel is replayed to a different speaker in a (roughly) corresponding position. I'm not aware of the CLPs (including the 695) doing anything like this.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Odd that the NU1X (part of the AvantGrand family?) does not use multi-channel sampling, corresponding speaker setup and sound system, yet people love it and its old stinking stereo. smile

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Odd that the NU1X (part of the AvantGrand family?) does not use multi-channel sampling, corresponding speaker setup and speakers, yet people love it and its old stinking stereo. smile

My guess is that it doesn't make sense given the speaker profile. The NU1X is so narrow that all you can really output is stereo (unless you'd like to sample at the pedals wink )

The depth of instrument required by a grand action is what makes the multi-channel output possible/beneficial.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Hear me out: what about an NU5X? and I’m not talking about the fifth generation NU1X, but something that would co-exist alongside the NU1X.

The ‘NU5X’ will be taller and deeper (similar to its acoustic sibling), it would accommodate a longer (keys) upright action and allow for some form of a multi-channel sound system.

E
E
Hear me out: what about an NU5X? and I’m not talking about the fifth generation NU1X, but something that would co-exist alongside the NU1X.

The ‘NU5X’ will be taller and deeper (similar to its acoustic sibling), it would accommodate a longer (keys) upright action and allow for some form of a multi-channel sound system.

While i like the Idea from a consumer perspective what would bei the benefit for yamaha ?

N
N

Taller? I'm against this as I'm a small person. If there is a upgrade, it also should be in the clavinovas, because they have just the right height.

Last edited by nicknameTaken; 01/18/20 03:16 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to Piano World, Eric.
Originally Posted by EricF
Unfortunatly it doesent make much sense from a business perspective to bring any major improvements. There will be tiny improvements and fixes but nothing Major.
Interesting observation.
And I think you're right, based on past performance.

To quote former member "dewster" from seven years ago ...
Originally Posted by dewster
It's this same old, same old grind of intentionally inferior products that never ends in this stupid market.
Every NAMM is like a smack in the face.
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2217153/re-yamaha-p105-teardown.html#Post2217153

Originally Posted by dewster
Buying an enthusiast level DP is like looking for gold in a cow pasture.
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2217774/re-yamaha-p105-teardown.html#Post2217774

Sad. But true.

Originally Posted by Gombessa

The depth of instrument required by a grand action is what makes the multi-channel output possible/beneficial.

I understood two speakers can convey depth of field effectively enough. Binaural stuff is supposed to do this isn't it? I've had vinyls which did this very well. And films too. Why doesn't the piano do the same? Binaural on my P515 is so good I switched it off . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
You can't really do it with two speakers. You have two EARS which represent two point targets for sound. So with two isolated sources (closed back headphones or earbuds) you can represent 3d positional audio--that is what binaural audio is. But it's the isolated part that is missing when you output to speakers.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
So why is it that two speakers is adequate for playing a recording of an acoustic piano?

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I had a CLP-685 which has the same sound engine as the CLP-645. I traded it for an N1x. It appears that the N1X has re-recorded the CFX and Bosendorfer Imperial using "Spatial Acoustic Sampling".

To me, the Bosendorfer Imperial is the most significant improvement. The Imperial on the CLP-685 was thin and lacked bass, it really didn't do justice to the Imperial. On the N1X however, it's vastly improved, and in fact, on speakers, I prefer the Imperial to the CFX. It's got a very warm sound, where the CFX is quite bright comparatively. On headphones, the CFX with the binaural sampling is the only sound to consider, the rest sound distant and washed out comparatively. I personally think the binaural CFX over headphones is the same between the CLP-685 (and thus the 645) and the N1X, there's no difference to my ears.

Even though the speaker system is better on the CLP-685, I actually prefer the N1X because of the speaker placement. On the CLP-685 the sound seemed to come out of the front of the piano, and always gave the impression you were playing a recording like through a hi-fi, where on the N1X the sound comes from where you expect it to come from on a grand piano. I miss the big woofers that the CLP-685 had, but I'm not willing to fork over the dough for the N3X.

Also, the rest of the piano sounds on both pianos are, in my not so humble opinion, crap, and I never use them. The pipe organs, which the N1X has, I believe are the same sample as the CLP's and they sounded better on the CLP-685 because of the better speaker system, I could shake the walls with the low registers laugh

Last edited by Chrispy; 01/18/20 08:30 PM.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission