2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 61 of 108 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 107 108
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Good work so far, HS! Arabia is like a rite of passage! smile

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
J
J
Originally Posted by HarmonySmurf
Here is my Arabia update. I have been able to complete the slow version once each day for the last four days. It takes a few tries to do this but I am getting better at it! I will be trying the fast lesson for the first time tonight.

I can't see somehow your Arabia, I checked your YT as well and nothing there... Where is it?

Great job!!! Glad you did it. Now it should be much easier. I usually stay in slow tempo to get my scores and increase tempo by 5 till each time trying to get 100% score and once I reach fast tempo I go there and enjoy results smile That works for me.

Looking forward to see you playing that piece smile

pianopracticechallenge.com
Piano Marvel discount code: jw (practice every day - result will come fast smile )
H
H
I haven't taken a video of it yet. sometime soon I will upload one of it for the contest. I completed the fast version easily last night. I think the song sounds better at 70 bpm though.

currently on the 4A books on Piano Marvel
J
J
Originally Posted by HarmonySmurf
I haven't taken a video of it yet. sometime soon I will upload one of it for the contest. I completed the fast version easily last night. I think the song sounds better at 70 bpm though.

Oh, all right. Looking forward to see it once it will be done smile Anyway, great job! Congratulations.
I find as well some pieces sounding better to me with different tempo then is given. That is the beauty of music. That is why there is endless possibilities to explore it. That is why it is so great to play! You never know when and how you will surprise yourself or others with what you play and how you play.
Again, Congratulations on the piece... based on my experience there are few moments once you meet another challenges like Arabia. But it is totally worth it to keep going. By mastering those pieces you end up always much better and what I love the most you experience those WOW moments!

pianopracticechallenge.com
Piano Marvel discount code: jw (practice every day - result will come fast smile )
D
D
Is there a way to get Piano Marvel to play tracks itself, so I know what they're meant to sound like?

The system must know _something_ about what's going on, because it can convert midi input from my keyboard into notes (and sound) and compare those notes against the notes from the track, so I'm just wondering if there's a way to go in the other direction where it converts notes-in-the-track back to sound?

Some tracks have videos associated with them, but not all -- so with, for example, The Entertainer, there's 8 different versions -- the ones for Level 5 ("in C") and level 7 do have a video, but not the ones for Level 12 or Level 5 (the not 'in C' version). So while I know what The Entertainer sounds like in general, I don't know what a particular arrangement will sound like. (And with tunes I don't know in the first place it's harder -- I could try and find a separate version of that tune, but that still doesn't tell me what Piano Marvel itself is expecting).

I worked out that if I download the PDF, I can use 'PDFToMusic' to play from the PDFs, though it feels like it doesn't always do the conversion properly and it costs money for a non-trial version if I want to do more than the first page -- and it also seems like a weird workaround, going via PDF as an intermediary.

Looking at what gets sent over the network, I can get the blob of JSON it sends me via chrome debugger, and looking inside there I can see what must be the music -- so I'm sure with some effort I could write something to parse that and play it, but that's a lot of work I'd rather not do if I can avoid it. It also looks very similar to the structure of a musicxml file, so if there's something that can play musicxml files as audio then doing that conversion might well be easier, but all of this hacking around feels like it shouldn't be necessary -- so I'm wondering if I'm just missing something in the piano marvel UI that would let me do this? (or am I just meant to get better at sight reading?)

(As for my progress, I started on the 2nd of Jan, went through level 1 fairly briskly and then slowed down a lot from there; I've just completed 2-C of method and technique, and it's certainly getting tougher and tougher at this stage)

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Welcome to PW, Daniel. Do you have MuseScore?

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Daniel Mitchell
Is there a way to get Piano Marvel to play tracks itself, so I know what they're meant to sound like?

Hit "Assess" and don't play.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
D
D
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Welcome to PW, Daniel. Do you have MuseScore?

Not yet, though reading about things coming in from there is what made me think of musicxml; composing / bringing in other music is something for much later for me, I still think I have a lot of basic stuff to get under control first.

Originally Posted by Chrispy

Well, don't I just feel dumb now. I never thought to try that, but it looks (sounds) like just what I'm after -- thanks!

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Well, don't I just feel dumb now. I never thought to try that, but it looks (sounds) like just what I'm after -- thanks!

No need to feel dumb! It's not made obvious by the UI (why would you hit assess to hear a piece?) PM has a lot of great functionality buried under a not always great user interface. I'm actually currently working on a tampermonkey script to put a usable interface on top of their chop/mince tool...

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
I don't know why I never thought of this before but if you subtract 1 bpm before pressing 'asses' you won't have to even look at a zero score. (Which shouldn't upset me but does.)

This is the exact opposite of what I need, I still struggle with timing. Once I hear it I'm not really reading the score. But it might inspire me to do more fun songs when I'm not up to taking a piano beating...

M
M

No need to feel dumb! It's not made obvious by the UI (why would you hit assess to hear a piece?) PM has a lot of great functionality buried under a not always great user interface. I'm actually currently working on a tampermonkey script to put a usable interface on top of their chop/mince tool...

I would love to see what you make if you wouldn't mind showing me 😁😉

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by millsj1134

Me too! I'm tired of trying to figure out position within a measure for the start and end of a segment! eek

[Linked Image]

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by millsj1134

I'll PM you when I have something working. The first step I'm working on now is to automate the mincing, so I set up in a dialog "mince every 4 measures both hands separate and hands together at these 3 tempi" and it will fill in all the segments. It's not currently working, but I'm getting there smile It should make creating a starting point for mincing easier, right now the process is pretty annoying, basically creating a segment, duplicating it a bunch of times and then updating each segment for the correct measures. Effectively the script is trying to automate this process.

Nicely, the edit page has a lot of information available under the hood, and if I ever have time, I'd like to try my hand at making it a visual editor, where you can segment right in the score itself, but that may be overly ambitious for the time I have laugh

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
[quote=millsj1134]
"mince every 4 measures both hands separate and hands together at these 3 tempi" and it will fill in all the segments. It's not currently working, but I'm getting there smile It should make creating a starting point for mincing easier, right now the process is pretty annoying, basically creating a segment, duplicating it a bunch of times and then updating each segment for the correct measures. Effectively the script is trying to automate this process.

Cutting everything in 4 measures as standard does not seem ideal to me. Sometimes you have to take 1 or 2 measures more to maintain the continuity of your piece. But I like the idea and I am very curious. smile

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
The idea is to give a very quick starting set of minces that could then be tweaked. Just a time saver really, not a panacea.

Last edited by Chrispy; 01/21/20 01:57 PM.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
The idea is to give a very quick starting set of minces that could then be tweaked. Just a time saver really, not a panacea.

Aha there can still be tweaked, then say that laugh But you are right, it would save a lot of work, certainly with larger pieces.

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
T
T
Does anybody use an iPad for Piano Marvel?

I like the concept and I’m just waiting for my midi interface cable to arrive. I’m just a little concerned about the fact that there are only 2 reviews on the Apple Store for the app and both are one star.

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by treefrog

I like the concept and I’m just waiting for my midi interface cable to arrive. I’m just a little concerned about the fact that there are only 2 reviews on the Apple Store for the app and both are one star.

I use an iPad for Piano Marvel and it’s fine. Very few issues that I’m aware of. I do have issues with Piano Marvel not picking up a note that I definitely played so it says I missed that note. I’m not sure where the problem is - my digital piano, the Piano Marvel app or the cable. That’s frustrating when you’re trying to get 100% but not too big a deal for me at the moment as I’ve transitioned out of Piano Marvel already (no time for it). Other than that everything else works as it should.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 01/25/20 12:15 PM.

Kawai K500
T
T
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand

I use an iPad for Piano Marvel and it’s fine. Very few issues that I’m aware of. I do have issues with Piano Marvel not picking up a note that I definitely played so it says I missed that note. I’m not sure where the problem is - my digital piano, the Piano Marvel app or the cable. That’s frustrating when you’re trying to get 100% but not too big a deal for me at the moment as I’ve transitioned out of Piano Marvel already (no time for it). Other than that everything else works as it should.

Thanks. That’s reassuring.

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand

I've never had that happen to me on the iPad. Maybe you can elaborate a little and Josh might know something about what is happening to you?

[Linked Image]

Page 61 of 108 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 107 108

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission