2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
In the past 5-6 years I have owned a:
Yamaha CP-4
Yamaha CP-40
Nord Electro 5HP
Korg GrandStage-73
Yamaha CP-73

For my needs and preference of Sounds, Touch(keybed feel), weight, and ease of use, the Yamaha CP-4 wins the prize.
I first owned the CP-4, but was always looking for a better organ sound with a 73 key bed, and hopefully I would only have to use one keyboard for my needs.
Well after trying all these options, I finally came to realize that the CP-4 was the best sounding, best touch, etc. for what I want and need. I just have to resign to the fact that I'll have to have that second keyboard for my organ sounds.

When I saw Yamaha coming out with the CP-73/88 I was very excited, but they didn't put the sounds that the CP-4 had (I don't know what they were thinking!) on this new keyboard that is suppose to be the replacement for the CP-4. I know they are suppose to have updates, but I wasn't willing to wait and hope they put on the sounds I needed.
Anyway, just got a used CP-4 in mint condition, and I'm not looking back. Best keyboard out there!!

C
C
+1. Almost exactly my experience. My SP-6 is for gigs that need some of everything, but it’s keybed is a compromise for APs.

Yamaha YC88, Kawai CA93, Yamaha MODX8, EV ZXA1
P
OP Offline
P
I was checking out the Kurz Forte SE 88 online (nowhere to actually try these out, or most any keyboards), and the organ section with the drawbars sounded really good.
I actually like the feel of a weighted keybed for organ (I know I'm in the minority on this), so I use the Nord Electro 5HP for my organ songs.
It is an expensive experience searching for the perfect keyboard for your needs!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
What kind of music do you play and what sounds do you usually use?

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
C
C
Pauleway, the forte se uses a tp100 keybed. I prefer the SP6’s Medelli keybed on the SP6 and PC4, but the CP4 seems to make me play better. No one seems to like the TP100.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The TP100 in my SL73 is very heavy and sluggish. It feels heavier even after I play my N1X. With that in mind it’s actually a surprisingly good action considering it’s cheap and light but unfortunately it seems best suited for classical music which apparently isn’t what most keyboards with TP100 are targeted at. I use my SL73 for Rhodes and to some extent I prefer playing Rhodes on the MODX non-weighted synth keys compared to the SL73 when I’m after speedy lines. But it’s also very dynamic and I love it when I need to have precise velocities.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by CyberGene
What kind of music do you play and what sounds do you usually use?

Beatles-Animals-Byrds Eagles, 60's-70's style stuff.
Acoustic piano-Hammond organ-Strings-Brass, and some misc.sounds.
The CP-4 handles all the sounds I need except for the Hammond organ sounds!

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Coker
Pauleway, the forte se uses a tp100 keybed. I prefer the SP6’s Medelli keybed on the SP6 and PC4, but the CP4 seems to make me play better. No one seems to like the TP100.

Is the TP100 a "Graded Hammer" action? I actually like a heavier action, but I don't think I'll ever find a touch that is better than the action on the CP-4!

C
C
Pauleway, I use the SP6 for the stuff you play, quite effectively except for piano improvisation which, thankfully, there isn’t much of with this kind of music. Organ and guitar improvisation does work quite well, though. At this point I am going to see if the new RD88 might replace the Kurzweil for this general purpose work, if guitars and organs are good enough, that is.

P
OP Offline
P
Pauleway, I use the SP6 for the stuff you play, quite effectively except for piano improvisation which, thankfully, there isn’t much of with this kind of music. Organ and guitar improvisation does work quite well, though. At this point I am going to see if the new RD88 might replace the Kurzweil for this general purpose work, if guitars and organs are good enough, that is.

Did you get a chance to try the Kurzweil Forte SE88 when you bought your SP6? I'd like to actually get to feel the action on that keyboard, and I do like the "Favorites" feature it has right at your fingertips, just a push of the button!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
CP4 has a great action, perhaps the best in a stage piano. The sound for stage is clear too. It would be my ideal action in a 26 pound board with onboard monitor speakers for gigs.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
C
C
Originally Posted by pauleway

Did you get a chance to try the Kurzweil Forte SE88 when you bought your SP6? I'd like to actually get to feel the action on that keyboard, and I do like the "Favorites" feature it has right at your fingertips, just a push of the button!

Once I read that the Forte SE had a TP40 action, I lost interest. If you’re in southern New England you can try my SP6 to see if the action is of any interest.

Last edited by Coker; 01/17/20 03:07 PM.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by pauleway
In the past 5-6 years I have owned a:
Yamaha CP-4
Yamaha CP-40
Nord Electro 5HP
Korg GrandStage-73
Yamaha CP-73

For my needs and preference of Sounds, Touch(keybed feel), weight, and ease of use, the Yamaha CP-4 wins the prize.
I first owned the CP-4, but was always looking for a better organ sound with a 73 key bed, and hopefully I would only have to use one keyboard for my needs.
Well after trying all these options, I finally came to realize that the CP-4 was the best sounding, best touch, etc. for what I want and need. I just have to resign to the fact that I'll have to have that second keyboard for my organ sounds.

When I saw Yamaha coming out with the CP-73/88 I was very excited, but they didn't put the sounds that the CP-4 had (I don't know what they were thinking!) on this new keyboard that is suppose to be the replacement for the CP-4. I know they are suppose to have updates, but I wasn't willing to wait and hope they put on the sounds I needed.
Anyway, just got a used CP-4 in mint condition, and I'm not looking back. Best keyboard out there!!

CP-88 is the successor of S90XS and not the CP-4.

That being said, CP-4 sounds very dated. It is the MOTIF XF series on steroids. The same identical samples are used in CP-4. My humble guess is the SCM technology is not feasible for larger multi-layer piano sounds and Yamaha decided to ditch the whole thing!

CP-4 is the watered-down version of CP-1. Less flexible and inferior quality. Still much better than CP-88 but the interface isn't intuitive and like any other Yamaha keyboard, it is overpriced.

When CP-4 came out Kawai had piano sounds with 88 keys sampled, suprior key-action and better piano synthesis engine which non of them exist in CP series. I'm happy that I didn't buy another Yamaha gear.

Last edited by Abdol; 01/17/20 03:31 PM.
P
OP Offline
P
I love the Ac+El piano sounds, and the strings+Brass of the Yamaha CP-4. I don't use any synth sounds so that is not a factor.
I've never had the chance to try the Kawai key-action, but if it is even as good as the CP-4, I'm impressed.
There is nowhere to try the Kawai (or most any worthwhile keyboards), but I would love to give the MP7SE a spin.
Only problem is it is too heavy (46Lbs?) to lug around, and the MP11SEis 75Lbs!!
I'm sure they are great boards if you just want something for home use.

P
OP Offline
P

Once I read that the Forte SE had a TP40 action, I lost interest. If you’re in southern New England you can try my SP6 to see if the action is of any interest. [/quote]

The Kurz Forte SE 88 has the TP100 action!

C
C
Oops, my mistake. I meant to say TP100.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission