Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
41 registered members (ChrisGoesPiano, CyberGene, CosminX, aimar, Coker, cmb13, danielp11, ColoRodney, 36251, 9 invisible), 3,330 guests, and 415 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue #2934749 01/16/20 10:52 AM
E
ef26 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
hi
I would like your advice I am an adult beginner - I studied for the last couple of years mainly by myself
and also with a teacher
recently I have entered a personal stage in my life where most of my energy is drained,
I am tired most of the time
and just can not and even do not want to sit and practicing
(please, it is not procrastination thing)
did any of you experience such periods?
or can share a wise advise or even back me up on this ? does this mean i don't want to play the piano anymore?

Last edited by ef26; 01/16/20 10:52 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: ef26] #2934750 01/16/20 10:56 AM
AssociateX Offline
Do these fatigue episodes happen all the time no matter what time of day or only on certain days?

I have discovered that my energy levels are higher in the morning to late afternoon so I try to schedule a practice session when I feel my mind and body are at their sharpest. This means that my old ways of sitting down to practice at 8-10 pm after a long day at work are not efficient anymore. I may sit down and play something light and easy (scales, a pop tune riff, etc) just to keep fingers active but my brain is mostly on just auto-pilot mode. If my brain in sharp, I know I can get some heavy duty technical work done (ie drilling, reviewing difficult passages, fixing incorrect notes, working on dynamics). As far as "not wanting to practice"..well that type of motivation usually has to come internally.

Last edited by AssociateX; 01/16/20 11:01 AM.

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: ef26] #2934753 01/16/20 11:08 AM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Would you mind sharing a little bit more of what you think the fatigue is due to? Is it due to an underlying medical physical condition or something more along the lines of mood? I struggle with both types of fatigue every day so know what it can be like. I will go for days at a time not wanting to play piano or do anything actually, just want to stay in bed or on the couch all day. The first thing in finding a solution is to recognize the cause(s). There are many lifestyle changes that can help, or even medication, if that is called for.

Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: ef26] #2934765 01/16/20 11:25 AM
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi ef26, and welcome to this forum!

Originally Posted by ef26
did any of you experience such periods?

Yes, I have. I bought my piano when I was on my way to get a burnout (but I didn't know it yet), and then I had my burnout, and had to stop working.
While I was still working, when I came home after work I was way too tired to be able to practise the piano. Even when I was off, for instance on Saturdays, I usually was too tired. But sometimes on a Sunday, I could practise some.
Then, when I had my burnout and was at home, I was still very tired. Now I am early retired, and most of my days, I have the eneregy to practise most days, but just for short periods. Ten - fifteen minutes, then I have to take a rest.

or can share a wise advise or even back me up on this ?

So, my advice to you is to make your fatigue your first priority. Find out what is the reason for it - for instance, have you seen a doctor and done some blood tests? And if you are physically allright, maybe you should talk with a counsellor or a psychologist?

does this mean i don't want to play the piano anymore?

No, it doesn't mean this. Playing the piano is rather demanding, and if you are too tired, it is rather natural that you don't feel like it.

I hope you'll get well!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: AssociateX] #2934774 01/16/20 11:48 AM
E
ef26 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
hi indeed in the morning I am more motivated but it is a period in my life where I just will not sit anytime during the day - but i will try to play more lightly - thanks

Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2934785 01/16/20 12:02 PM
E
ef26 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
hi yes, it is a medical-physical thing due to a treatment I am going through. but I feel it is mainly fatigue. I am not hurting or something.

Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: Animisha] #2934794 01/16/20 12:16 PM
E
ef26 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
hi i really appreciate your answer - I feel much better now smile. I think i should rest - and hope like you said that I will return once I am again will feel well.

Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: ef26] #2934796 01/16/20 12:17 PM
S
Sidokar Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
hi yes, it is a medical-physical thing due to a treatment I am going through. but I feel it is mainly fatigue. I am not hurting or something.

It seems that it may be coming also with a light depressiveness which makes you feel like you do not want to make any effort. It is difficult to advise you without much details. Do you have some kind of light physical activity like walking or swimming. I find it really helps to keep your mood more balanced.

Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: ef26] #2934826 01/16/20 12:54 PM
Jytte Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
ef26, This with being tired or hurting, so you can't play or don't want to, has a tendency to lead to de-motivation (it can feel like 'what's the point?'), and it can have a snowball effect. As in, the longer one has been 'away' from the piano, the more one might feel that there's little point ('oh, now I have to start all over again'). I've been there, and it caused a 3 year 'off the piano' period.
I had just finally started up again, and hit another bump, twice actually. What got me through it this time around was deciding to sit at the piano each day for just a few minutes. I could not really play, but I could make some noise maybe 10-30 seconds at a time, then rest. I'd only try it for 2-5 minutes each day, but I DID do it each day. It had the positive effect of my brain not forgetting what I had just memorized, and feeling good about 'not quitting'. So I don't fall in the hole of 'well this probably won't work', and when I'm past the bump, and can play again, I don't feel like I have to start all over again, I'm just happy to be playing.
I'll add that my piano is now my 'early warning system'. If something that wasn't hard, suddenly is, I know there's trouble brewing, and can do something about it before it gets bad. Equally, by sitting at the piano each day, I can measure progress/improvement in my physical state, in how long I can actually play and if I can play 'properly'. Works well for me.
I guess it's also about what one expects to get out of playing. I've had to adjust my 'expectations' quite a bit, but as, for me, it's all about the enjoyment I get out of being able to play the piano at all (no matter how bad), it doesn't really matter how bumpy the road is.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: Jytte] #2934842 01/16/20 01:18 PM
E
ef26 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Jytte - i loved the 2-5 minutes daily practice - will try it. thanks!!!

Sidokar - I do walk a bit daily it does not help since I am still tired most of the time.

Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: ef26] #2934856 01/16/20 01:28 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I have to echo the idea of 2-5 min practice. And if you make yourself sit at the piano and just practice for 2 mins, guess what will happen a lot of the time! wink

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: ef26] #2934859 01/16/20 01:37 PM
D
dihelson Offline
D

Looks like some depression. I often feel drained and with lack of
Motivation, due to my depression.

I don´t want to learn how to play a music. I´m developing a way to play them all.
Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: ef26] #2934899 01/16/20 03:08 PM
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I know a retired man who started piano 3 years ago. There are piano pieces he remembers from his childhood he always wanted to play. In a year he would learn just 5 pieces and play them regularly.

For a number of years the man had medical issues and is affected by the side-effects of the medications he is taking. There are days during the week he have trouble getting out of bed. The days he has enough energy, he would be playing the piano at home for a few hours.

I have a different issue. I spend my summers away from home (half way around the world) visiting relatives. It would take months to get over a jet lag. I don't have a lot of energy during the day but I still play regularly. I'm going to adult group piano practice once a week at a local conservatory. Over the years I've collected a stack of songbooks from an absolute beginner to a more advanced level. I tend to repeat a few pieces I've played before at a slow tempo. Some of these require complicated finger changes, octave stretches and big jumps.

The day when my energy level is down, I'd play a waltz from memory that I learned a year ago half asleep. I'm definitely not into learning a new piece, especially an advanced one that requires focus on reading notes. It has taken me many years to learn piano at an intermediate level. I would feel worse when sitting in front of the TV flipping channels than repeating the same piece on a piano for an hour.

Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: ef26] #2934924 01/16/20 03:50 PM
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
D
What does your doctor say about you being "tired" ?

I would discuss this with him/her and see if he/she has suggestions that might help.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used)
Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: ef26] #2934926 01/16/20 04:04 PM
M
Moo :) Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I do not know why people are trying to diagnose you. If you want a blood test to rule out something sure but jez what a forum where a post of something very normal gets a label of clinical depression. I actually read your post and thought this is very normal. I am sure everyone can relate to this. I found with piano that if I am very tired I normally dont play. If I am tired I often play with a little bit of concentration and go through my lessons pieces. I tend to have a background of playing random pieces in my system and sometimes resort to this. I would try and get a piece you have learnt or something fun to get it back into your system. Often works. It is normally only on the weekend and when I am not tired in the week where I have good practice. I am not a great believer in 'efficient' practice philosophy. I would advise you find some flexibility in your approach.

Last edited by Moo :); 01/16/20 04:09 PM.
Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: Moo :)] #2934933 01/16/20 04:18 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Moo :)
I do not know why people are trying to diagnose you.[...] what a forum where a post of something [...] gets a label of clinical depression. [...]

I agree. I suppose intentions are good and discussion can't be harmful, but going as far as diagnosing a stranger on little evidence is irresponsible.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: ef26] #2934940 01/16/20 04:42 PM
peterws Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I am the King of Tiredness. After meals, activity, reading, writing, playing piano , I'm likely to fall asleep unless I get my head down.
So I get 10 minutes, 20, 30, whenever. It works better than anything else.
Saw the quack 20 years ago. Blood tests then and now reveal no problem. So there can be no solution! Nice . . . .
Best thing for me is the bike.
I've never fallen asleep on the bike (yet) and I head for the local hills. It shifts tiredness, however temporarily, and perrenial hayfever/rhinitis too. Until I get home.
I've never fallen asleep at the Gym. (Spinning. Bikes again)
I have fallen asleep at the piano.
I've also fallen asleep doin' this . . . .

TBH, these and other forums (Bikes) offer a plethora of DIY solutions to the most complex of medical problems, which in some cases work!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: BruceD] #2934946 01/16/20 04:57 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by BruceD
I do not know why people are trying to diagnose you.[...] what a forum where a post of something [...] gets a label of clinical depression. [...]

I agree. I suppose intentions are good and discussion can't be harmful, but going as far as diagnosing a stranger on little evidence is irresponsible.

Regards,

Clearly you are very well and delusional. I think you need to go to your doctor and get a blood test for lyme disease. Also make sure you have not got piano induced encephalitis. I think they can tell now with an x-ray of the fingers.

:P

Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: Moo :)] #2934953 01/16/20 05:05 PM
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

Regards,

Clearly you are very well and delusional. I think you need to go to your doctor and get a blood test for lyme disease. Also make sure you have not got piano induced encephalitis. I think they can tell now with an x-ray of the fingers.

:P
Only a couple of posters offered anything close to a diagnosis (which is always ill-advised). Most people responded to the OP's request for suggestions and advice. If you want to call out particular posts, do that, but don't brand the whole thread. There were some good suggestions and words of encouragement.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Re: i stooped practicing the piano due to fatigue [Re: ef26] #2934955 01/16/20 05:06 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
It was a joke. Haha. I even posted a :p. I dont participiate in piano wars. There are more than enough here you can fight with if you want. :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Woo-hoo! I'm average!
by TheophilusCarter - 01/22/20 09:09 PM
Still hate my DP
by Mils - 01/22/20 08:11 PM
Advice Needed: 20Y Baby Grand vs. New Upright
by jywsdd - 01/22/20 07:37 PM
New Kawai GX-2 disappointment
by Katieji - 01/22/20 07:17 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,457
Posts2,915,996
Members95,696
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission