2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 2,012 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RinTin Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
How much latency is found in a typical Kawai digital piano from key to ear vs a real piano?

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Not enough to notice, for me. I get a very good connection with my ES8. This is using the internal voices, of course, not a VST on an attached computer. You've got an ES110: what do you think about its latency, if any?

Last edited by ColoRodney; 01/16/20 01:29 PM.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
K
K
there shouldn't be any noticeable latency in any piano with internal sounds

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Not noticeable. Actually, the higher end models have a virtual technician parameter that lets you increase the latency, apparently to simulate a similar delay when playing ppp on a large acoustic grand.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
RinTin Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I think the ES110 is fine, I don't notice any latency problem. But I am just wondering how many milliseconds are involved in its internal processing chip. I would guess 3-4ms.

I have tried using Korg Module with Ivory and Scarbee on an iPad and found its latency unacceptable, it uncomfortably lagged and was inconsistent. I would guess it's above 10 ms. I've tried controlling Korg Module via USB with the Casio PX360, the CT-X700, and the Mojo 61... I expect the results would be similar with any controller keyboard since it is the ios processor and the Korg module that are causing the additional the lag time and not the MIDI controller keyboard (currently the ES110 which I have not tried it with).

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I did a quick estimate of latency of the es100 a few years ago by recording a few key strokes on audacity free software. Then zoomed in to see the timing difference between the sound of my fingernail hitting the key and the sound exiting the internal speakers. It's not a perfect test but good enough for [ ]; it is also repeatable and easy to try at home. The difference was below 5ms.

That was significantly better than any virtual instruments I had (running say at 44.1KHz with a buffer of 64 on a RME interface). I can't remember the results and have the graphs on a different computer (I might have posted graphs and/or results a few years ago here).

Dedicated internal hardware and software can, in theory, run much more efficiently than external VIs run.

Regardless, at these levels, I can't notice latency or differences. YMMV.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have a Kawai CA67 and was using the assess mode in Piano Marvel. In that, software in the app compares in internal time of the sheet music its showing you against the midi input signal from the piano, and marks it green if its on time and red if not (and red if its not the right note). Its obvious that there is some leeway to this as you can be less than perfect and still score a hit.

Now I am in the Piano Marvel beta test program and I was convinced in an earlier release of the iPad app (which is what I was testing), that instead of + or - <delta> on the first note they didn't switch on the detector until exactly the time of the first note, rather than <delta> ms before hand. As a result, I almost had to feel like I was fractionally delaying the first note in order for Piano Marvel to pick it up (this is no longer and issue, so I assume it was fixed).

But what this tells me, is that the latency from my piano and the usb signal along the cable - through a hub and into the Usb C port at the bottom of my iPad Pro through to the detecting software in the Piano Marvel app was so low as to be undetectable.

[Linked Image]

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by rintincop
How much latency is found in a typical Kawai digital piano from key to ear vs a real piano?

Latency is low enough that I focus on playing music rather than on latency.. That's what really matters.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by newer player
Then zoomed in to see the timing difference between the sound of my fingernail hitting the key and the sound exiting the internal speakers. It's not a perfect test but good enough for [ ]; it is also repeatable and easy to try at home. The difference was below 5ms.

A more meaningful measurement would be between the thump of the bottoming out key and the note being sounded. The time between your finger hitting the key and the note being triggered isn't latency.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by rintincop

On my Kawai CA-58 the latency from key contact to sound is ~20 ms. There was a thread on this here.

There is a paper on grand piano latencies here.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
One should also be aware that acoustic pianos also have latency, if you so will.

The sound is not triggered when your finger touches the key.
The sound is also not triggered when the pressed key reaches the let off point.
The sound is also (usually) not triggered when the pressed key bottoms out.
Instead, the sound is triggered at some point after the pressed key passes the let off point. Depending on if you play ppp or fff (or anything in between), the sound may be triggered before the key bottoms out, or after it bottoms out (or of course if you press the key just right, exactly when it bottoms out).
So even with one and the same key, you have more or less lag, depending on how hard you press it. And as said before, larger pianos have more lag in the ppp case than smaller ones.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I think the main response I have to this question is: is there a reason to believe the latency is any different (either better or worse) between Kawai and any other brand of digital piano? I would expect they are all in the same ballpark, meaning all should be perceptibly instantaneous, at least compared to a VST.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That piano is defective. Return it to the seller and get your money back.
Originally Posted by pianogabe
On my Kawai CA-58 the latency from key contact to sound is ~20 ms.

N
N
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Can you exclude that not every ca 58 behaves like this?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

This is irrelevant to the latency of the piano.

RinTin Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I think the Kawai is perfectly fine. I am just trying to educate myself in latency. I have had a latency effect issue with every external software piano I have played from any controller. I am going to study those studies posted by link on page 1 of this thread.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission