Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
43 registered members (ChrisGoesPiano, aimar, Carajillo, bounced, BachToTheFuture, CosminX, Coker, cmb13, 11 invisible), 3,344 guests, and 430 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 51 of 51 1 2 49 50 51
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2934677 01/16/20 08:41 AM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congrats, WLH! It gets easier now ;0

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2934678 01/16/20 08:45 AM
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Speed has always been difficult for me and it's critical at this level.

I don't do exams but I'm also using the RCM books. I've always had trouble with speed, and even more so with RCM Etudes Level 7 & 8. Sometimes the tempos seem impossibly fast! Are you using specific exercises to improve your speed? I'm thinking I should do scales, classical sonatinas, studies with patterns that can be easily memorised...

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: sinophilia] #2934883 01/16/20 02:18 PM
G
Greta99 Online Content
Online Content
G
Congratulations, WeakLeftHand!

Originally Posted by sinophilia
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Speed has always been difficult for me and it's critical at this level.

I don't do exams but I'm also using the RCM books. I've always had trouble with speed, and even more so with RCM Etudes Level 7 & 8. Sometimes the tempos seem impossibly fast! Are you using specific exercises to improve your speed? I'm thinking I should do scales, classical sonatinas, studies with patterns that can be easily memorised...

I still have my problems with speed, but I find, doing scales and playing etudes helps me to improve.

Last edited by Greta99; 01/16/20 02:19 PM.
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2935474 01/17/20 06:54 PM
W
WiseBuff Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
How does the quote go in Top Gun?? "I feel the need ...the need for speed!" I have been increasing mine with focus on scales and chords. I've actually doubled my comfort level and can manage a moderato that contains 16th notes with some work. It must stay relaxed or I defeat the purpose. Truth is that not every one has fast fingers and I'm one of those.

[Linked Image]

Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2936316 01/20/20 03:00 PM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
As I am thinking about my next exam and what songs I would like to choose as my exam pieces, I came across the following RCM webinar for teachers. I thought this was helpful to get an idea of what RCM is thinking regarding the Teacher's Choice and Popular Selections List substitutions. I'm so glad RCM has this flexibility. [Aside: Did you know Bob Marley is in the official syllabus?!? I didn't.]

For my next exam, I think I would like to do a Teacher's Choice substitution for my List B with a ragtime (or jazz) piece from Martha Mier. I've always wanted to play ragtime, but obviously, original pieces from Joplin are way beyond my current ability. So...Martha Mier's Jazz, Rags and Blues Book 1 seems to be a good fit, as some of the songs from Book 1 are already included in the RCM Piano Syllabus Level 1.

https://vimeo.com/254536801

I hope you find this video helpful, or at least interesting. smile

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2936324 01/20/20 03:08 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
As I am thinking about my next exam and what songs I would like to choose as my exam pieces, I came across the following RCM webinar for teachers. I thought this was helpful to get an idea of what RCM is thinking regarding the Teacher's Choice and Popular Selections List substitutions. I'm so glad RCM has this flexibility. [Aside: Did you know Bob Marley is in the official syllabus?!? I didn't.]

For my next exam, I think I would like to do a Teacher's Choice substitution for my List B with a ragtime (or jazz) piece from Martha Mier. I've always wanted to play ragtime, but obviously, original pieces from Joplin are way beyond my current ability. So...Martha Mier's Jazz, Rags and Blues Book 1 seems to be a good fit, as some of the songs from Book 1 are already included in the RCM Piano Syllabus Level 1.

https://vimeo.com/254536801

I hope you find this video helpful, or at least interesting. smile

Well, it's not really thinking "outside the box" since RCM provides for it, but I do like how you are thinking about the box! 😂

Thanks for this video. That's cool that you are looking to submit a ragtime/jazz for classical era. Are going to do it for your level 1? Or level 2?

BTW, I found I had to log into the RCM portal to find my exam marks. I never did receive any notification emails. When enough time passed and I wondered about how I did, I logged into the portal and voila, my marks were already there. smile

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2936334 01/20/20 03:21 PM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Well, it's not really thinking "outside the box" since RCM provides for it, but I do like how you are thinking about the box! 😂

Thanks for this video. That's cool that you are looking to submit a ragtime/jazz for classical era. Are going to do it for your level 1? Or level 2?

BTW, I found I had to log into the RCM portal to find my exam marks. I never did receive any notification emails. When enough time passed and I wondered about how I did, I logged into the portal and voila, my marks were already there. smile

I'm going to do this for Level 1. Actually, for Level 1 and 2,

List A: Baroque and Classical Repertoire
List B: Romantic, 20th-, and 21st-century Repertoire
List C: Inventions

I think the eras are different for higher grades.

Although I had no difficulty finding a piece I would like to play for List A (apparently I really like Baroque and Classical music), I had quite a hard time finding a piece from List B, even though List B is much longer than List A. Nothing in List B seemed to tickle my fancy.

I'm actually checking my portal regularly because I read in a previous post that you didn't receive your email notice! I'm a quick learner LOL!

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 01/20/20 03:23 PM.
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2936342 01/20/20 03:33 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

I'm going to do this for Level 1. Actually, for Level 1 and 2,

List A: Baroque and Classical Repertoire
List B: Romantic, 20th-, and 21st-century Repertoire
List C: Inventions

I think the eras are different for higher grades.

Aha! I standard corrected. That List C is interesting. I wouldn't have thought of those pieces as inventions.

Although I had no difficulty finding a piece I would like to play for List A (apparently I really like Baroque and Classical music), I had quite a hard time finding a piece from List B, even though List B is much longer than List A. Nothing in List B seemed to tickle my fancy.

I have the same problem for each level. Romantic era doesn't really get interesting until RCM Levels 7, it seems. Those big Romantic composers, like Chopin, didn't seem to have beginners and early intermediates in mind. LOL. Funny thing because Chopin had many, many students. I wonder what repertoire he used with his beginners? Bach? 😂

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2936351 01/20/20 03:52 PM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W

Aha! I standard corrected. That List C is interesting. I wouldn't have thought of those pieces as inventions.

I'd say they are "baby" inventions. The right hand plays a melody, and the left hand follows...I find them rather infantile, especially the Teapot Invention. Oh well, it is what it is. Grit my teeth and trudge on.

I have the same problem for each level. Romantic era doesn't really get interesting until RCM Levels 7, it seems. Those big Romantic composers, like Chopin, didn't seem to have beginners and early intermediates in mind. LOL. Funny thing because Chopin had many, many students. I wonder what repertoire he used with his beginners? Bach? 😂

Maybe Mozart? He wrote short sweet melodic pieces for beginners.

I think I will be doing quite of bit of substituting for the Romantic, 20th-, and 21st-century Repertoire in future grades.

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2936517 01/20/20 10:44 PM
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E

I'd say they are "baby" inventions. The right hand plays a melody, and the left hand follows...I find them rather infantile, especially the Teapot Invention. Oh well, it is what it is. Grit my teeth and trudge on.

perhaps if you think of it as a work of imitative counterpoint for two voices it won't sound so tedioussmirk
However, we all had to start somewhere and I remember doing similar simple inventions - life was so simple back then.

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2936526 01/20/20 11:17 PM
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E

I have the same problem for each level. Romantic era doesn't really get interesting until RCM Levels 7, it seems. Those big Romantic composers, like Chopin, didn't seem to have beginners and early intermediates in mind. LOL. Funny thing because Chopin had many, many students. I wonder what repertoire he used with his beginners? Bach? 😂[/quote]

I believe he greatly admired, and took his influences from Bach and Mozart. So it would make sense he would have his students learn pieces from them.

There are not many beginner pieces from Chopin it is true, but there are a few very nice pieces that most people could tackle with a couple of years experience. Sometimes, we have to step away from the grade systems to find the pieces we want to play.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: earlofmar] #2936534 01/21/20 12:19 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
I believe he greatly admired, and took his influences from Bach and Mozart. So it would make sense he would have his students learn pieces from them.

There are not many beginner pieces from Chopin it is true, but there are a few very nice pieces that most people could tackle with a couple of years experience. Sometimes, we have to step away from the grade systems to find the pieces we want to play.

Well, I don't mind stepping away from the formal grading system, but I still don't want to pick pieces which are too hard for me as they take a long time to learn and I won't play them very well.

[Linked Image]

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2936548 01/21/20 02:37 AM
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by earlofmar

There are not many beginner pieces from Chopin it is true, but there are a few very nice pieces that most people could tackle with a couple of years experience. Sometimes, we have to step away from the grade systems to find the pieces we want to play.[/quote]

Well, I don't mind stepping away from the formal grading system, but I still don't want to pick pieces which are too hard for me as they take a long time to learn and I won't play them very well.

I could not wait to play Chopin so, although I might not have been ready, I went ahead and did it any way. A couple of his pieces I picked were surprisingly easy to learn and at least pleasing to my ear, and a couple that were just impossible. The easy ones were the Preludes 6 & 20 from Opus 28. No 20, for example, hardly fits one page (13 bars) and is entirely made up of chords (and played deathly slow smirk). There is of course the Em prelude and A major Prelude (16 bars) which I sort of learned but never recorded, definitely not difficult. I learned them during my second year and in the third I learned Largo in Eb which again, isn't very long and was not terribly difficult, (but the recording here at PW is out of time).

The hardest ''easy'' Chopin for me was the Waltz in A minor (post). It is AMEB grade 4 and for some people it seems to be no problem, but I did tackle that one too soon and payed the price for that mistake.

Undoubtedly Chopin is difficult, but my early start de-mystified him for me in much the same way early Bach was able to do.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 51 of 51 1 2 49 50 51

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Woo-hoo! I'm average!
by TheophilusCarter - 01/22/20 09:09 PM
Still hate my DP
by Mils - 01/22/20 08:11 PM
Advice Needed: 20Y Baby Grand vs. New Upright
by jywsdd - 01/22/20 07:37 PM
New Kawai GX-2 disappointment
by Katieji - 01/22/20 07:17 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,457
Posts2,915,996
Members95,696
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission