Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
28 registered members (chongjasmine, Coda9, ChrisGoesPiano, EVC2017, Greta99, Guido, Roma - Italy, Boboulus, 10 invisible), 3,397 guests, and 502 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: Ankee] #2930189 01/04/20 03:35 PM
W
wouldloveto Offline
W
Hello my friend. Now I'm under the impression that either you are rushing or you are being rushed to learn too many pieces in a short time despite the execution. That as well is like a déjà vu from my own experience... Of course it's not good if the mistakes that you make are not corrected and also: what about dynamics, and musicality? Knowing by now that you appreciate critics as a way to improve, I will point out a couple: Bar 6 - LH 2nd chord: it looks like you are repeating the 1st chord, but the repeat is correct; so hopefully just a distraction (as long as it's not a habit already that you go wrong the first time and you don't on the repeat). Bars 16, 21 and 25 - RH: after the 1st quarter the rhythm is wrong. I suggest you to play them only with the right hand until you spot the mistake.
If I can say it again: no rush! You have a whole life ahead and plenty of time to do things correctly. No need to spread yourself too thin. smile

Korg SP-170S
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: wouldloveto] #2930380 01/05/20 05:56 AM
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 89
Streak: 89

Originally Posted by wouldloveto
Hello my friend. Now I'm under the impression that either you are rushing or you are being rushed to learn too many pieces in a short time despite the execution. That as well is like a déjà vu from my own experience... Of course it's not good if the mistakes that you make are not corrected and also: what about dynamics, and musicality? Knowing by now that you appreciate critics as a way to improve, I will point out a couple: Bar 6 - LH 2nd chord: it looks like you are repeating the 1st chord, but the repeat is correct; so hopefully just a distraction (as long as it's not a habit already that you go wrong the first time and you don't on the repeat). Bars 16, 21 and 25 - RH: after the 1st quarter the rhythm is wrong. I suggest you to play them only with the right hand until you spot the mistake.
If I can say it again: no rush! You have a whole life ahead and plenty of time to do things correctly. No need to spread yourself too thin. smile

Hey there!

Well, I do have to say this piece was my own rushing. I'm not such a big fan of the piece, and well... living in a shared house I was feeling a bit self conscious practicing that! I'll definitely have a second look at it, but I don't think I'll be spending too too much time with it as I won't keep the piece as repertoire.

As for dynamics, I really need to tinker with the VST, the current settings make it rather awkward to switch at times, it feels a bit fiddly to be fair, but hey, that's what we have at the moment! Also pedalling, I need to work on that! And uh... everything else! Okay, one thing at a time smile

Guantanamera on the other hand... I really want to play it well but wow, it's a LOT harder than anything I've tackled thus far, by quite a margin at that. This one will definitely keep me busy for a long while, especially because I do intend on keeping it as repertoire.

Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: Ankee] #2930735 01/06/20 03:16 AM
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 90
Streak: 90

Practiced Bridal Chorus a bit more, not sure why I was playing all those measures as eighths!

Guantanamera is kinda getting there, still some tricky bits. End of measure 11 to 12 is especially tough, need to spend some more time just on that part, the transition feels very awkward. 4th measure on the second page also feels off in regards to rhythm. Exam week starts today, so it might be a couple of days before I'm able to fully iron out those kinks.

Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: Ankee] #2930740 01/06/20 03:43 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ankee
Day 90

Practiced Bridal Chorus a bit more, not sure why I was playing all those measures as eighths!

Guantanamera is kinda getting there, still some tricky bits. End of measure 11 to 12 is especially tough, need to spend some more time just on that part, the transition feels very awkward. 4th measure on the second page also feels off in regards to rhythm. Exam week starts today, so it might be a couple of days before I'm able to fully iron out those kinks.

For the measure ‘that feels off in regards to rhythm’, consider using the metronome and clapping the rhythm, it is best not to rely on feelings. 😊 but to develop good habits.

Where the transition feels awkward, practice the last few notes in the prior measure and the beginning of the new one VERY VERY slowly. Repeat until the transition is no longer awkward.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: Ankee] #2930742 01/06/20 03:55 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Day 90

You can check your own rhythm oversights (we all have them) , by turning on the metronome and listening to your recording with the metronome and the score.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: Ankee] #2930767 01/06/20 06:34 AM
W
wouldloveto Offline
W
To add up to the extremely wise bits of advice that dogperson just gave you, beside listening to your own rhythm recording, also, especially when chords are involved, listen to how they match the melody. In the case of the first mistake I pointed out, I wasn't looking at the score but I heard there was something wrong with that chord, and only after I checked the music sheet. In a few words, listening to your own recordings with the music in front of your eyes would give you great benefit. I still can't believe how wrong at times I get my dynamics when I listen to my own performances...

Korg SP-170S
[Linked Image]
Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: Ankee] #2930806 01/06/20 09:27 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Day 90

3 months! Another milestone! thumb

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2931166 01/07/20 08:41 AM
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 91
Streak: 91

Originally Posted by dogperson

For the measure ‘that feels off in regards to rhythm’, consider using the metronome and clapping the rhythm, it is best not to rely on feelings. 😊 but to develop good habits.

Where the transition feels awkward, practice the last few notes in the prior measure and the beginning of the new one VERY VERY slowly. Repeat until the transition is no longer awkward.

I really should use the metronome more instead of resisting frown It's so hard no to when it feels my fingers go everywhere if I have the metronome on. But yeah... much like everything, it'll go away the more I do it, so I should stop being a baby about it! laugh

To add up to the extremely wise bits of advice that dogperson just gave you, beside listening to your own rhythm recording, also, especially when chords are involved, listen to how they match the melody. In the case of the first mistake I pointed out, I wasn't looking at the score but I heard there was something wrong with that chord, and only after I checked the music sheet. In a few words, listening to your own recordings with the music in front of your eyes would give you great benefit. I still can't believe how wrong at times I get my dynamics when I listen to my own performances...

Mhm, I probably have been rather hasty in the past with posting a video and leaving it at that. Which I suppose is okay for throwaway songs, but if then becomes a habit... :P I'm weird with dynamics, my hands can remember the notes a lot better than they can dynamics. Should put more of an emphasis on it.

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

3 months! Another milestone! thumb

Thank you Tyrone! Hopefully there'll be a lot more '3 months' laugh

Guantanamera is kind of sort of coming together, which is rather surprising seeing as I don't really have a lot of time to practice these days! Awkward bits are becoming a little less so, but definitely still a lot of work ahead smile

On the plus side, had my second exam out of 6 today and I'm pretty sure it went amazing! That's such a boost in confidence, this was one of the hardest subjects for me. Only 4 to go!

Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: Ankee] #2931474 01/08/20 03:12 AM
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 92
Streak: 92

Another day of trucking along at Guantanamera, surprise laugh Checked with the metronome, most of my rhythm is sound, dynamics are getting there too. Just need not to flub those same couple of measures and I should be okay soon smile

Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: Ankee] #2931807 01/09/20 02:30 AM
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 93
Streak: 93

Yay! Did get a very decent (I think!) recording of Guantanamera smile Hopefully, it's half as decent as I think it is. Still rather inconsistent at some parts, so I'll definitely keep at it for a while. I do want to keep that in the repertoire for the time being for sure. There's just so many good memories from listening to the song, really happy they included it in the book smile

Let me know what you think, and as usual, no pulling any punches smile

Guantanamera -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igih-uMFtwc

Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: Ankee] #2931821 01/09/20 04:01 AM
W
wouldloveto Offline
W
...Let me know what you think, and as usual, no pulling any punches smile...

Ok, no hard punches, promise. smile
Just by listening to it I picked up a couple of things, then confirmed by the reading. It sounds to me that you are pressing the sustain pedal on the first bar already (probably on the 2nd beat) and you keep it down over the whole bar so the sound of the chord on the 3rd and 4th beat overlaps the previous notes causing a disharmony. Then the 4th bar on the second page: the LH notes are wrong. One more thing about posture: your left wrist still angles up often (bad habits are die to hard. I still suffer from that same disease at times!)
Now the question is: have you listened to your performance while looking at the book? If I was capable of picking them up without even looking at it, that should tell you something. I'm no professional (although I have a long "career" of playing by ear). I'm pretty sure you would be able to do the same if you take the commitment to listen, since you even have some nice tools to record yourself.
Allow me to say it again: do not hurry! smile

Last edited by wouldloveto; 01/09/20 04:02 AM.

Korg SP-170S
[Linked Image]
Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: wouldloveto] #2932232 01/10/20 06:02 AM
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 94
Streak: 94

Quiet day, just keeping up repertoire. Hard tests start today, so that'll probably be my go to until the 14th.

Ok, no hard punches, promise. smile
Just by listening to it I picked up a couple of things, then confirmed by the reading. It sounds to me that you are pressing the sustain pedal on the first bar already (probably on the 2nd beat) and you keep it down over the whole bar so the sound of the chord on the 3rd and 4th beat overlaps the previous notes causing a disharmony. Then the 4th bar on the second page: the LH notes are wrong. One more thing about posture: your left wrist still angles up often (bad habits are die to hard. I still suffer from that same disease at times!)
Now the question is: have you listened to your performance while looking at the book? If I was capable of picking them up without even looking at it, that should tell you something. I'm no professional (although I have a long "career" of playing by ear). I'm pretty sure you would be able to do the same if you take the commitment to listen, since you even have some nice tools to record yourself.
Allow me to say it again: do not hurry! smile

I never use the pedal in the beginning bit, VST probably had a bit too much reverb. As for the two notes... I did listen to the performance a few times, making sure things were as they should be, and I just couldn't tell it even if I listened a bunch more times. It's a very quiet part, and I think my aural skills are just very very bad smile

Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: Ankee] #2932500 01/11/20 03:38 AM
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 95
Streak: 95

More scales, more practicing repertoire! Nothing too terribly exciting. Might start learning a new piece later if studies allow for it smile

Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: Ankee] #2932796 01/12/20 05:26 AM
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 96
Streak: 96

Found some more time to practice (I'm studying,I swear!), suggested Dreaming by Nicoline Van Goor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKo_WTmDa7U) to my teacher and she thinks I could do it.
That is veeery motivational because I definitely feel like this is a big step up from the stuff I've been doing, but I absolutely love the song so it'll be very interesting to see how I can progress on it

Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: Ankee] #2933163 01/13/20 04:55 AM
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 97
Streak: 97

Dreaming is slowly coming along, it definitely has a TON more hand changes than what I'm used to, but that makes it a really good piece to be doing. Biggest challenge is definitely not losing myself on the music sheet while having to see where the jump is going, but I can feel that improving smile

Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: Ankee] #2933563 01/14/20 03:37 AM
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 98
Streak: 98

Have gotten a couple of runs through the song at a very slow tempo, but it's definitely getting there smile Should be in a playable state within a couple of days, where I'll have a bit more time to practice while I anxiously await for grades.... yay!

Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: Ankee] #2934236 01/15/20 12:24 PM
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 99
Streak: 99

Done with regular tests! Now just need to wait for grades to be out to know if I'll have to be doing any extra exams! Much rejoicing o/

Dreaming is still slowly getting there, getting the logic behind the song for the most part, even if some bits still trip me up. Losing track of the music sheet is the most common one, but it's definitely improving smile

Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: Ankee] #2934604 01/16/20 06:03 AM
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 100
Streak: 100

Wooo, triple digits! laugh

Quite proud I managed to stay on track for this long, now onwards for 100 more smile

And what better time to actually get a good take of Dreaming! I find it such an absolutely beautiful song, sooo happy I'm actually at a point where I can play it! This one will deeefinitely be my go to song to keep fresh while learning.

I feel like I've learned quite a lot from practicing this song, I initially gave up on Fur Elise because of the one octave broken chords, who would've thought a song that's pretty much broken chords from start to end would actually be doable at this point?

I know it's not perfect, but I'm really happy I got it to this point within a few days smile

Dreaming -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paw5CcWySfY

Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: Ankee] #2934621 01/16/20 06:38 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Day 100
Streak: 100

Wooo, triple digits! laugh

Quite proud I managed to stay on track for this long, now onwards for 100 more smile

100 is a nice round number, though beaten by 1,000. Hey, you're 10% on your way to 1,000! grin thumb

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: (Hopefully) Daily log of a 31 year old beginner [Re: Ankee] #2934641 01/16/20 07:33 AM
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It’s always great to see progress, well done Ankee.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
3 heartfelt shout outs
by Retsacnal - 01/25/20 11:40 PM
Ritmuller Questions
by Goose828 - 01/25/20 11:27 PM
Which action is lighter P125 or Es110?
by rintincop - 01/25/20 11:07 PM
by Retsacnal - 01/25/20 10:39 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,516
Posts2,917,248
Members95,735
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission