2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
72 registered members (akc42, beeboss, AZNpiano, 36251, amyram, barbaram, aph123, Animisha, 20 invisible), 376 guests, and 456 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I need to do something with my mid XIXth century piano #2868921 07/13/19 07:09 AM
P
PM7 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hello, I've got a problem.

I'm an owner of a grand piano, most likely of the Vienna system. The piano has been built between 1850 and 1865 by Jan Kerntopf- a Polish manufacturer who won eg Grand Prix in Paris 1889 and Grand Prix in Geneve 1927 (exp. intern. de la musique Geneve). The manufacturer also helped the young Ignacy Jan Paderewski- when Paderewski was accepted for studying at a conservatoire in Warsaw, Kerntops first offered the young Paderewski a grand piano for free, then they invited him to live at their house, for the time of his studies. Later on, it was actually Paderewski's idea to send Kerntopf's pianos for exhibition in Paris, as Kerntopf himself wasn't sure if they were good enough.

The problem is, that my piano is not in the best of shape. Another problem a co-owner of the house where the piano stands, he wants to sell the house, and I won't be able to store the piano if that happens.
I wanted to donate the piano to the local conservatoire, as they have a department of historical piano performance, but they refused to take it because it requires renovation. I talked to a person who owns a renovated piano from the era, and it turns out, I can't afford to renovate it. I talked to people from the branch, but they tell me that museums and other cultural institutions all around Poland are highly reluctant to take pianos, even for free.
Any ideas what can I do about it? Do you think that there might be an institution elsewhere that would be interested in preserving it?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: I need to do something with my mid XIXth century piano [Re: PM7] #2868922 07/13/19 07:53 AM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Is there a Paderewski museum anywhere in Poland ?
Make sure they know the history of the piano.
There is a wonderful keyboard museum in Paris
which also has quite a collection of pianos including pianos belonging to Chopin and Liszt.Of course Paris
is rather far from Poland.
Someone who loves music and history and who has space to keep the instrument perhaps is your best hope.Best wishes to you and your piano.

Re: I need to do something with my mid XIXth century piano [Re: PM7] #2868966 07/13/19 11:14 AM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
People are reluctant to take old pianos that need restoration anywhere in the world, I am afraid.

Semipro Tech
Re: I need to do something with my mid XIXth century piano [Re: PM7] #2868987 07/13/19 12:13 PM
Seeker Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
If you were in the USA, I would point you at the North Bennett Street School. Students attending there back when my friends were there worked on restoring project pianos - 1 upright and 1 grand per group of 4 students (might be more or less...).

Among those instruments were instruments of historical significance. I had a chance to play a restored Pleyel there as well as a Chickering.

So... if you're in Poland, you might check with the piano technician schools in Germany. You might even advertise it FREE as a project piano.

Somebody is bound to be interested in it, or so I believe.

Finally, if all else fails, PM me here on PW if you like, and I will forward information to some of my German pianist colleagues with connections to piano technicians.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Re: I need to do something with my mid XIXth century piano [Re: PM7] #2869001 07/13/19 01:33 PM
D
David-G Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
You say that your piano is not in the best of shape. Can you be more specific?

Does it hold its tuning? Can it be played with pleasure? Are there specific problems that you are aware of?

Re: I need to do something with my mid XIXth century piano [Re: PM7] #2869022 07/13/19 03:06 PM
AaronSF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You might want to look at this website. It's in both English and Polish (I'm assuming you are in Poland). It lists all the places in Poland that have historic piano collections. Maybe one of them might be interested in your piano. (Click on the link below to navigate to the website.)

The Piano in Polish Collections

August Förster 215
Re: I need to do something with my mid XIXth century piano [Re: Seeker] #2869049 07/13/19 05:11 PM
P
PM7 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by AaronSF
You might want to look at this website. It's in both English and Polish (I'm assuming you are in Poland). It lists all the places in Poland that have historic piano collections. Maybe one of them might be interested in your piano. (Click on the link below to navigate to the website.)

The Piano in Polish Collections

Yes, I know the page.
I've sent an e-mail the association that runs it, as well as I'm either trying to contact or contacting several museums and other institutions, but the pianists and tuners out here whom I know, say it's unlikely to be promising.

Originally Posted by David-G
You say that your piano is not in the best of shape. Can you be more specific?

Yes. It's in bad shape. The sound board seems intact and the frame is ok. but otherwise nothing works properly and requires either repairs or replacement. The only good thing except that it doesn't look too bad and the board is intact, is that the piano is complete.

Originally Posted by Seeker

So... if you're in Poland, you might check with the piano technician schools in Germany. You might even advertise it FREE as a project piano.

Somebody is bound to be interested in it, or so I believe.

That's an interesting idea. Do you know how can I contact them?

Re: I need to do something with my mid XIXth century piano [Re: PM7] #2934240 01/15/20 12:37 PM
P
PM7 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Refresh.

So the situation hasn't changed much, at least it seems the house isn't going to be sold after all, but I'm like the only one who does anything to conserve this piano, and at the end of this years I'm leaving the place, so I'd like to have this thing sorted.

A few new options have turned up since that last time, but none of them seems very promising. So if you have any ideas, please don't hesitate to write them here.

Re: I need to do something with my mid XIXth century piano [Re: PM7] #2934570 01/16/20 04:17 AM
O
OE1FEU Offline
O
I am afraid that there is no real market for historical fortepianos that need restoring. Most institutions that make use of instruments from that time either have an already well restored instrument or they have access to a rental instrument for concerts or recordings. Very few piano makers are experienced enough to faithfully restore instruments from that time and those that do usually have their own collection already and also have many instruments in storage that await restoration. Her in Vienna I can easily get you hundreds of fortepianos from the 19th century for free or very little money, some of them even in a really playable state. People want to get rid of these instruments and very fw want to buy one.

The suggestion about piano technician schools in Germany will not work, because there is no such central institution. There is only the master academy in Ludwigsburg - and they have easy access to fortepianos that need restoring anyway.

This may sound cruel to you, but your best bet is probably to find a furniture/cabinet maker who takes interest in the wood and maybe can use it as material for a new piece of furniture, but it's fair to assume that he won't be willing to pay you anything fro the instrument itself, because as it is it has little to no value.

Sorry.

Re: I need to do something with my mid XIXth century piano [Re: OE1FEU] #2935687 01/18/20 11:11 AM
P
PM7 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by OE1FEU

This may sound cruel to you, but your best bet is probably to find a furniture/cabinet maker who takes interest in the wood and maybe can use it as material for a new piece of furniture, but it's fair to assume that he won't be willing to pay you anything fro the instrument itself, because as it is it has little to no value.

Sorry.

Are you kidding me? If I wanted to destroy a historical instrument, I'd have done that myself!
The fact that the name doesn't tell you anything, doesn't mean it's an instrument without history, and If I just wanted to get rid of it, it would have already been standing the nearby museum, witho ZERO chance to be ever restored!

Re: I need to do something with my mid XIXth century piano [Re: PM7] #2935693 01/18/20 11:23 AM
L
Learux Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
If someone had an old car that needed a lot of work and money to be functional again would you take it?

Your piano is no different, just moving it requires a lot of effort(time and money).

The fact that people are not interested in your piano should tell you something.

If the piano has any sentimental value to you OE1 suggestion is a good one.

The piano's value as you found out is negative at this point.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Re: I need to do something with my mid XIXth century piano [Re: Learux] #2935740 01/18/20 01:10 PM
P
PM7 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Learux
If someone had an old car that needed a lot of work and money to be functional again would you take it?

Your piano is no different, just moving it requires a lot of effort(time and money).

Actually old unique cars are often taken out of scrapyards and repaired by enthusiasts. Bettery yet, most often they don't even have to be unique.

Its not a piece of modern furniture you bought at IKEA yesterday and dropped it, whilst market value has never either been discussed either concerned by me.

Last edited by PM7; 01/18/20 01:10 PM.
Re: I need to do something with my mid XIXth century piano [Re: PM7] #2935749 01/18/20 01:23 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
Nobody is telling you not to keep it and fix it yourself. You are the one who wants somebody else to do it. It is up to you to find the means to do it.

Semipro Tech
Re: I need to do something with my mid XIXth century piano [Re: PM7] #2935758 01/18/20 01:53 PM
L
Learux Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L

Its not a piece of modern furniture you bought at IKEA yesterday and dropped it, whilst market value has never either been discussed either concerned by me.

I think you fail to understand that for you to get rid of it you will have to pay someone to haul it off.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Re: I need to do something with my mid XIXth century piano [Re: BDB] #2935772 01/18/20 02:25 PM
P
PM7 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
[
I think you fail to understand that for you to get rid of it you will have to pay someone to haul it off.

You fail to understand that such remarks make sense only when you teach your 3 years-old children how things are.

Go on insulting someone else.

Originally Posted by BDB
Nobody is telling you not to keep it and fix it yourself. You are the one who wants somebody else to do it. It is up to you to find the means to do it.

I was just asking for ideas, if you haven't noticed.

Re: I need to do something with my mid XIXth century piano [Re: PM7] #2935796 01/18/20 03:23 PM
Piano*Dad Offline
Originally Posted by PM7
Originally Posted by OE1FEU

Sorry.

Are you kidding me? If I wanted to destroy a historical instrument, I'd have done that myself!
The fact that the name doesn't tell you anything, doesn't mean it's an instrument without history, and If I just wanted to get rid of it, it would have already been standing the nearby museum, witho ZERO chance to be ever restored!

I think you're letting your emotional attachment to this particular instrument affect how you react to sensible things people are saying to you.

From what you've said, this particular instrument is historical only because of its age, not because this exact piano was Paderewski's personal instrument in 1910. By the way, Paderewski had a habit of signing the soundboard of pianos he used. The music department at my university has (or had) such an instrument. It too was in pretty bad shape, and it was just taking up space in a professor's studio. It had little to no market value. Restoring it would have cost a small fortune, and unless the restoration was done by people skilled in hand building 19th century components the end product is a modern instrument ... i.e. valueless as history.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Vertical—a Performance Like No Other!
by Tyrone Slothrop - 02/19/20 08:34 AM
Rebuilt Steinways (was)? PFKAS?
by Maestro Lennie - 02/19/20 07:19 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,056
Posts2,927,382
Members96,042
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission