Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
30 registered members (EVC2017, Ankee, johnstaf, Coker, CosminX, 12 invisible), 3,223 guests, and 644 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lighthammer technique for dummies [Re: Chernobieff Piano] #2931098 01/06/20 11:54 PM
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
If the hammer tails are smooth and the edges of them rounded the backchecks last way longer on hammers light enough to eliminate most or all of the front key weights. Plus the action will check reliably on soft blows with quite strong repetition springs. This makes the soft playing very secure, even and relaxing.

When the hammer bounces around on the rep-lever with soft playing like almost all contemporary grand actions do; the feel is uncertain. Pianists want to know where the hammer is, which direction it is moving, and how fast it is moving. The quicker they can gain this information the more time they have to "plan" ahead in the music.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
(ad 800)
PTG Journals
PTG Journal
Re: Lighthammer technique for dummies [Re: Chernobieff Piano] #2931104 01/07/20 12:29 AM
Emery Wang Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
I don't know why you call me a naysayer Emery, I actually agree with your bullet points. When I install a new set of hammers, just with the proper selection, they always come out lighter than the original anyway by a 1/2 a gram to a gram. Often there are only minor adjustments to the weights in the keys. I like the traditional time proven 3,2,1,0 method. When done right, its a faster than the hand can play action. And the hammer tails don't have to be sanded down to a 1/4" width and shorten back-check life. You can have a light fast action without going Frankenstein.
-chris

Hah! I mean you don't just drink the Ed McMorrow koolaid wink As a beginner, however, I'm happy to drink whatever koolaid is being served. Seriously though, it's good to have all the various opinions as I'm sure there is more than one way to do a lot of these things.

Ed, your book is in good shape. There is no dust jacket, but I don't know if there ever was one. All the pages are intact and binding is still holding.

Kawai MP11SE
Kawai GL10
Re: Lighthammer technique for dummies [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT] #2931110 01/07/20 01:10 AM
Emery Wang Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
If the hammer tails are smooth and the edges of them rounded the backchecks last way longer on hammers light enough to eliminate most or all of the front key weights. Plus the action will check reliably on soft blows with quite strong repetition springs. This makes the soft playing very secure, even and relaxing.

Would you explain this more Ed? It seems lighter hammers would be buoyed more by the rep springs and have a harder time descending to the backcheck.

Kawai MP11SE
Kawai GL10
Re: Lighthammer technique for dummies [Re: Emery Wang] #2931206 01/07/20 10:43 AM
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
You have to consider the hammer and rep spring as a spring mass with a momentum that the friction of the backcheck must overcome, and the quicker return rate from the string of lighter hammers.

With lower hammer mass, the hammer escapes from the string faster and can be accelerated faster during the release from the string. Thus with a soft blow, the lighter hammer is traveling down faster than a heavier one would. This gets it into the check better.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Re: Lighthammer technique for dummies [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT] #2931241 01/07/20 12:09 PM
Emery Wang Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Ed. When playing softly, however, the hammer often does not strike the string hard enough to bounce back into check. Wouldn't a lighter hammer be prone to bobble in that case?

Kawai MP11SE
Kawai GL10
Re: Lighthammer technique for dummies [Re: Emery Wang] #2931456 01/08/20 12:38 AM
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
In my experience, lighter hammers check better with soft playing than heavier hammers. They are easier to start and stop.

Re: Lighthammer technique for dummies [Re: Emery Wang] #2933935 01/14/20 08:28 PM
Emery Wang Offline OP
OP Offline
Update and some questions:

First, I know you've all been on the edge of your seats wondering how my lighthammer project is going, so wonder no more! After perusing Ed's book and testing his technique, plus one recommended by Keith Akin on an old spare hammer, I've decided I probably don't have the skill set to do this right. Just trying to pull the staples out of the felt of the hammer made quite a mess, with the staple breaking rather than coming out. I can't imagine doing this 88 times on my pretty new hammers.

The action and tone on my piano is already very close to how I'd like it, and there is a good chance I would just make things worse. I think that ideally, adjusting/lightening hammer weight should take place in the hammer manufacturing process. I also think that instead of shaving shanks to adjust strike weight, simply replacing them with WNG shanks would be an easier option for me. Then all I have to do is make sure I buy lighter hammers that are properly graded. This leads me to some questions about hammer makers, which I'd be grateful for your insights on:

• Do hammer makers sell hammers that are significantly lighter than stock Kawai hammers? If so, who does a good job making light hammers?
  • Are there hammer makers that will gradate their hammer weights to match a smooth curve from bass to treble? With the uniformity of WNG composite shanks, this should yield an automatic smooth SW curve, right?

So if I can find hammers that are, say, one gram lighter than my stock hammers, that would reduce my current static key downweight from 48g to about 43g. This would allow me to remove the front key leads, which if they weigh 10g, would move the downweight back up to about 53g. That's a reasonable downweight, and the reduced inertia should make a noticeable difference in making the action feel a little lighter.

What do you all think?

Kawai MP11SE
Kawai GL10
Re: Lighthammer technique for dummies [Re: Emery Wang] #2934188 01/15/20 10:28 AM
P
P W Grey Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Emery,

A different make of hammers will change the overall tone palette of the piano...period. it might be to your liking, it might not. Ronsen (to my knowledge) us the only truly custom hammer maker around, and no...you cannot get hammers made with a truly smooth gradation of weight. That is a "micro-management" of the situation. Too much hassle.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Any idea what piano Alma is playing here?
by Fots - 01/26/20 06:15 AM
3 heartfelt shout outs
by Retsacnal - 01/25/20 11:40 PM
Ritmuller Questions
by Goose828 - 01/25/20 11:27 PM
Which action is lighter P125 or Es110?
by rintincop - 01/25/20 11:07 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,517
Posts2,917,262
Members95,735
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission