2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2933716 01/14/20 01:53 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I've had a Yamaha CP-70M for years (bought it new in the 1980s) and I still use it to drive my Yamaha Motif that has a high-quality Steinway D sample. Still love the keyboard action on the CP-70M (vs weighted controllers) but the wife says the CP-70M is ugly sitting in our Piano room (lol), and why don't I get a "real" grand piano to replace it.

I've heard that Yamaha sold MIDI enabled grand pianos (C-series?) in the 1980s and 1990s, but I can't find out what the model numbers are for those. Now, I am reading there are "silent" grand pianos available, which presumably have a MIDI-out interface so I can still drive my Motif that has the Steinway D sample that I love.

I would be in the market for a previously-owned such MIDI-enabled Yamaha Grand, and wondering what my options are. Don't want/need the Disklavier models, just something I can play as-is, or use the silent/MIDI-out feature to drive my Motif.

What are my options / what should I look for out in the marketplace for sale?

Thanks,

Bela P. Havasreti
Kent, WA

S
S
Not to paralyze you with options, but for a (relatively) small fee a Silent System can be installed in pretty much any piano.

Last edited by sleutelbos; 01/14/20 02:02 PM.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by sleutelbos
Not to paralyze you with options, but for a (relatively) small fee a Silent System can be installed in pretty much any piano.

Huh?

O
O
Originally Posted by Pete14

Huh?

As in there’s no need to search for a piano which specifically has a silent system already installed... one could get a silent system installed on any (apparently) acoustic piano after purchase, which means that the OP could potentially get any acoustic piano he/she wants. smile

A quick google brought this up, and I’m sure there are other systems out there:
https://www.sussexpianos.co.uk/accessories/silent-systems

So as long as it has MIDI out, it’ll fit the bill.

Last edited by OscarRamsey; 01/14/20 03:34 PM.

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
S
S
Originally Posted by OscarRamsey

Huh?

As in there’s no need to search for a piano which specifically has a silent system already installed... one could get a silent system installed on any (apparently) acoustic piano after purchase, which means that the OP could potentially get any acoustic piano he/she wants. smile

A quick google brought this up, and I’m sure there are other systems out there:
https://www.sussexpianos.co.uk/accessories/silent-systems

So as long as it has MIDI out, it’ll fit the bill.

Precisely, there are various options and they typically range in the 1000-1500GBP range. So that can quite expend the range of options you have if your primary demand is MIDI out and 'being a real piano'. smile

Last edited by sleutelbos; 01/14/20 05:14 PM.
B
OP Offline
B
Thank you for the information. This is likely the path I will take (find / purchase the Yamaha Grand Piano I like, then have the silent system added to it). I am on the West Coast of the USA, so converting GBP to US dollars above suggests the modification can be done for US $1.5K - $2K, which is palatable. Forgive my ignorance, but just what are the silent kit options? I have seen reference to a PianoDisc system, but it appears to be more of a Player Piano / Disklavier add-on kit than just a silent conversion kit. Many thanks in advance again,

Bela P. Havasreti

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Just to throw another spanner in your thinking.

there are some nice looking digital pianos these days. Since you have been playing a non acoustic piano you may not have a real desire or need for one. Yamaha AvantGrand series, Yamaha Clavinova 695, Kawai NV10 are digital piano options I'd consider in your situation as well.

You have some exciting options to consider I think.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Take a look at the PNOscan system:

https://www.qrsmusic.com/PNOScan.asp

Optical sensors with MIDI output, from any grand piano.

The residents of the "Pianos" forum, here, often discuss "silent pianos" and occasionally, MIDI conversions.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
If your primary interest is using the piano as a midi controller, you might consider a grand piano shell with a digital piano.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
P
P
I don’t recommend Yamaha silent SN series purchases.
The reason is that the main digital board and sensor circuit will be not available near year.
I don’t recommend be fitted with a retrofit silent system to grand piano.
Yamaha's silent system is special and the action structure is completely different from normal piano.
(Double escapement action,hammer and key sensor)
I recommend Yamaha's Avan Grand Series or Silent SG Series or higher.

--------------------------------------
Pro-TAC tuning and repair service.
pro-tac.jpn.org/
--------------------------------------

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Huh?

O
O
Huh?

Sshhh! This is a thread about silent pianos. wink

Originally Posted by KevinM
Just to throw another spanner in your thinking.

there are some nice looking digital pianos these days. Since you have been playing a non acoustic piano you may not have a real desire or need for one. Yamaha AvantGrand series, Yamaha Clavinova 695, Kawai NV10 are digital piano options I'd consider in your situation as well.

You have some exciting options to consider I think.

Yes, there are some digitals that look like baby grand pianos too. You never know until you see/try them. That could be an option too!

Last edited by OscarRamsey; 01/15/20 03:03 PM.

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
M
M
I have a 1988 Yamaha C3E - the 6'1" Yamaha MIDI grand. its a splendid instrument. The optical midi actuators have no perceptible effect on the action as they don't touch anything in there. Here's a link to the only magazine review I can find on it. Its really a C3 with the sound dampener felt handle and the midi control built into the inside of the cover. Pretty cool.

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/yamaha-midi-grand/1099

B
OP Offline
B
Took awhile, but I (finally) ordered a new Yamaha CLP-795GP in mid-December of last year. Still waiting for it to get shipped/delivered. Has anyone else ordered one of these? If so, how long did it take for you to get it?

Bela P. Havasreti

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Expect delivery in ...

F
F
The CP70 and 80 are iconic instruments for sure, I don't see how it can look ugly. It has all the features you need, are you really going to pay thousands for looks?

don't know what to say
B
OP Offline
B
I already sold the CP-70M. It was in fairly good shape, but was showing its age. I was going to buy a real (Yamaha) grand piano with a MIDI interface to replace it (always wanted one). Time will tell, but I think the CLP-795GP might be a good compromise (best of both worlds). I often played a 12 foot Bosendorfer in college (loved it!), but I'll never own one. Having such high-quality sampled pianos on tap with a keyboard action that replicates that of a real grand piano will be fun to experience. I'll report back on my impressions after I receive the CLP-795GP.

Bela P. Havasreti

K
K
I'm wondering if anyone can please share your experience of CLP-795GP.

I'm wondering if in general people can give some advice on whether it any better than CLP-785. I know that it's essentially the same action and sound - but I wonder if the upwards firing speaker and cabinet make it sound any better, in addition to the looks, and wether the big price difference is worth it.

Thanks
Kenneth

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission