Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
40 registered members (CosminX, danielp11, CyberGene, dhull100, dannylux, barbaram, Colin Miles, 7 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 443 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) #2933666 01/14/20 10:57 AM
J
Josh1770 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I committed to Master of your own destiny and have a good streak going since ten days before the new year. There have been one or two days I hit the piano at 11:45 pm but, according to the rules, it counts. My question is, does anybody have a cheat day? I don't mean a cheat day like from a diet, where you eat a large pizza followed by an ice cream sundae once a week, essentially sabotaging your diet. Just something that breaks up the routine.

For me, it's band night. Once a week I practice with a band, playing keyboard on a list of songs. These songs are, for the most part, not ones I work on, on my own, at home for my own practice. But it gives me a chance to cleanse my palate and shake up the routine. For lack of a better term, I call it my cheat day and still allow myself to check off a MOYD day.

I am curious if anybody works in a cheat day to break up their routines while still feeling satisfied that they played piano that day.

“Nobody wants to show you the hours and hours of becoming. They'd rather show the highlight of what they've become.”
― Angela Duckworth, Grit: Passion, Perseverance, and the Science of Success
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Josh1770] #2933676 01/14/20 11:19 AM
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
No, can't say that I do.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Josh1770] #2933679 01/14/20 11:27 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Nope.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Josh1770] #2933689 01/14/20 11:47 AM
Granyala Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I generally aim to play 6 of 7 days a week.
I find it lowers frustration if you have a "legal" day to not approach the piano compared to a rigid "you have to play every day" schedule.

Since this is strictly a hobby for personal enjoyment, I get to say "I am not in the mood/too busy/too tired" once a week.

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 6 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Josh1770] #2933698 01/14/20 11:59 AM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I don't have any need to have an off day (not 'cheat' - I'm always honest cool), because I don't put any obligation on myself to play every day.......but I do, including when I'm on holiday somewhere else in the world, if I can get access to a piano. Any piano - I enjoy meeting new challenges (like trying to make a decrepit old piano sing as it had never sung before, and will never sing again once I've finished thumping it wink ).

If there's no piano (like halfway up a mountain, in a tent in a howling blizzard), no sweat. I have other things to occupy myself, like figuring out how to stay alive & kicking.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Josh1770] #2933699 01/14/20 12:00 PM
J
Josh1770 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Let's make sure we are all the same page here...when I say cheat day I mean you are still playing. It's just one day a week you play fun stuff, maybe fool with a pop song you like and heard on the radio, maybe try to work out Billy Preston's solo in "Get Back". The other day I heard this song I really liked and couldn't even find the chords, let alone the sheet music. I took a break from my other practice and worked out the chords and arrangement as I heard on the recording. As an "adult beginner" it was refreshing, educational, and even got me to sit at the piano longer than I normally would have (just as two hour band rehearsals are longer than my usual practice sessions). At the same time, the music I usually work on had a chance to solidify and set in my brain once I returned to it.

“Nobody wants to show you the hours and hours of becoming. They'd rather show the highlight of what they've become.”
Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Josh1770] #2933714 01/14/20 12:44 PM
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Josh1770
...,For me, it's band night. Once a week I practice with a band, playing keyboard on a list of songs....
Imo, this would count as a MOYD day. I don't feel the need to something to "cleanse my palate," but I'm sure plenty do. It's the playing that counts!
Originally Posted by SwissMS on MOYD thread
...you commit to playing the piano for some amount of time every single day. It might be a few hours, it might be a few minutes - it doesn't matter - as long as you sit down and touch those keys!!!

It doesn't matter if it is a grand, an upright, or a digital. Nor does it matter if it is your piano or any other.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Stubbie] #2933721 01/14/20 01:04 PM
SwissMS Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie
...,For me, it's band night. Once a week I practice with a band, playing keyboard on a list of songs....
Imo, this would count as a MOYD day. I don't feel the need to something to "cleanse my palate," but I'm sure plenty do. It's the playing that counts!
Originally Posted by SwissMS on MOYD thread
...you commit to playing the piano for some amount of time every single day. It might be a few hours, it might be a few minutes - it doesn't matter - as long as you sit down and touch those keys!!!

It doesn't matter if it is a grand, an upright, or a digital. Nor does it matter if it is your piano or any other.

I agree! If you are playing a keyboard in a band, then you are not only playing piano, but you are performing! It more than meets the MOYD rules!

Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Josh1770] #2933727 01/14/20 01:16 PM
J
Josh1770 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Swiss and Stubbie.... Yeah, I know it meets the rules. I was just wondering how others take a break from what they are working on while still playing and making it a piano day.

Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Josh1770] #2933728 01/14/20 01:17 PM
P
Pau Gasol Offline
P
I play every day; there's almost always time before I go to work and then I find more time in the evening too so most days I get two sessions in. I played on 363 days last year, missing just a couple in March to travel.

How many days can a participant miss before being disqualified? One day a week seems too many, in my opinion. But I saw one participant miss five months in a row for no reason, and they were able to claim a badge.

Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Pau Gasol] #2933730 01/14/20 01:20 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pau Gasol
How many days can a participant miss before being disqualified? One day a week seems too many, in my opinion. But I saw one participant miss five months in a row for no reason, and they were able to claim a badge.

This is not a competition against others. This is for each person for themselves to feel motivated and to hold themselves accountable.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Josh1770] #2933734 01/14/20 01:27 PM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Swiss and Stubbie.... Yeah, I know it meets the rules. I was just wondering how others take a break from what they are working on while still playing and making it a piano day.

I often don't practice what I'm working on with my teacher. Instead, I find other, perhaps easier stuff, to work through. More so to explore other music and improve reading efficiency. Or sometimes I just go back to old stuff and see what I can do better with it.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Josh1770] #2933751 01/14/20 02:03 PM
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I was just wondering how others take a break from what they are working on while still playing and making it a piano day.

Oh yes, I do. Now I am not a MOYD person, because even if I take a day off, there is no risk that I suddenly will stop practising. But yes, I absolutely have days in which I only play what I feel like. Actually, I hope to have more of those days than I had last year.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Josh1770] #2933760 01/14/20 02:28 PM
B
Bobby Badd Offline
B
I don't practice on Fridays, I just play.

I go thru my repertoire of 25 songs or so.

Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Josh1770] #2933773 01/14/20 02:50 PM
C
Chili_Time Offline
C
I don't have a cheat day as you described it, but I do mess around with Fake Books on the weekend when i have more free time after i finish my method book work.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Piano Adventures Book 3a. Yamaha P-115 for two years (great starter piano) and now a Kawai MP11SE. I play a little bass guitar too.
[Linked Image]
Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Josh1770] #2933794 01/14/20 03:39 PM
ClsscLib Offline

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
I try to focus every day on what my teacher has assigned (usually with a lot of input from me!), but some days I "rest on my oars" a bit by spending most of the time either on G.A.S. or other lighter fare, or brushing up on older material that is not part of my current assigned work.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins
Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Josh1770] #2933795 01/14/20 03:41 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Sunday = laundry + NYT Sunday crossword = no piano.

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Josh1770] #2933857 01/14/20 05:45 PM
E
enw10 Offline
E
I don't have a specific "cheat day", but on days when I have more time and I'm just over the stuff I was assigned (usually towards the end of the week), I'll often pull out something to play around with that I don't have any intention of actually committing to learning. I could be from almost any genre.... just something I heard that I thought was beautiful smile

Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Josh1770] #2933885 01/14/20 06:37 PM
D
dihelson Offline
D

I don´t know if this is a "cheat" or a "madness", but somedays, I "forget" that I am a pianist and I become a Jazz singer. I stay for long hours singing songs from the "Great American Songbook".on a mic, and a playback big band. Of course, I still don´t have the courage to show that to anyone. I feel I´m a bit out of tune :))

I don´t want to learn how to play a music. I´m developing a way to play them all.
Re: Do you have a "cheat" day and what do you do that day?(MOYD) [Re: Josh1770] #2933955 01/14/20 09:35 PM
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
...Just something that breaks up the routine...

I am curious if anybody works in a cheat day to break up their routines while still feeling satisfied that they played piano that day.

Practicing piano is the satisfying thing that breaks up the stupid routine of my paid employment.

Learner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Woo-hoo! I'm average!
by TheophilusCarter - 01/22/20 09:09 PM
Still hate my DP
by Mils - 01/22/20 08:11 PM
Advice Needed: 20Y Baby Grand vs. New Upright
by jywsdd - 01/22/20 07:37 PM
New Kawai GX-2 disappointment
by Katieji - 01/22/20 07:17 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,457
Posts2,916,008
Members95,696
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission