2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (AJB, antune, babooshka, anotherscott, 0day, 36251, 15 invisible), 1,040 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OP Offline
O
Hey everyone, I wanted to get your thoughts on stretching your hands to increase hand span. I have found that the more I stretch and the farther my reach becomes, the better my fingers and strength at the keys become. I went from a 9th to an 11th. Are there any suggestions or exercises that you have found helpful in increasing your handspan and also stretch between fingers? Also how do you avoid injury besides stopping when it hurts?

T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Normally I wouldn't play any sequence that requires finger 1 & 5 to play 2 notes that span more than 1 octave apart. There are times when a note is written for 1 hand but can be moved to the other hand.

The 1 thing most teachers recommend is hand rotation exercises:

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I increased my span by learning Brahms. Playing some of the rich chords was uncomfortable but I carefully persisted. The trick was to stop practicing the pieces as soon as my hand began to feel sore. Little by little, day by day, my span increased without injury. I went from barely reaching a 9th to a comfortable 9th. I also improved the stretch between my fingers.

Best regards,

Deborah
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Going from a 9th to an 11th sounds like an extreme basically outlier example. Having a reach that big is not much of an advantage, if at all, except for a very limited repertoire(stride pieces by Fats Waller, for example).

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by OscoBosco
Hey everyone, I wanted to get your thoughts on stretching your hands to increase hand span. I have found that the more I stretch and the farther my reach becomes, the better my fingers and strength at the keys become. I went from a 9th to an 11th. Are there any suggestions or exercises that you have found helpful in increasing your handspan and also stretch between fingers? Also how do you avoid injury besides stopping when it hurts?

But how much is going from 9th to 11th attributable to your hand stretch exercises versus the fact that you body and bones are probably still growing at your age, even if slowly? For adults who are already fully grown, I wonder whether hand stretch exercises can have any real effect. I also wonder if hand stretch exercises could lead to bad future health consequences (early on-set osteoarthritis, etc.).

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C

Since carefully practicising for around a couple of hours a day for the last 16 months I have found that I am far more comfortable doing 10ths - both hands. And I am going on 77. You should never get to the point of hurting. A gentle ache is when you stop, until the next day.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Playing wide intervals and chords is all that is necessary for stretching imho.

Stretching should be done extremely carefully, because every microtrauma promotes growth of the connective tissue in between the bones (instead of muscle tissue) and it can't be undone ever, except with surgery.

Playing 10th comfortably is enough stretch, playing 11th is not necessary imo.

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Yeah I mean you don't want to "Do a Robert Schumann" on yo ass.

Stretching should happen naturally, I think it does happen, but it's a by-product rather than intentional.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Zaphod
Yeah I mean you don't want to "Do a Robert Schumann" on yo ass.

Man, imagine how awkward that would be. On one’s ass, of all places laugh

I’m someone who’s always been proud of being able to play a tenth (no dainty girly hands here, d’ya know?) and now I’m dealing with early-onset osteoarthritis. No idea if there’s any causality there, but I’d still recommend avoiding anything that carries even the slightest risk of causing injury.

Last edited by Sibylle; 01/01/19 04:35 PM.

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Sibylle

Man, imagine how awkward that would be. On one’s ass, of all places laugh

laugh

Why do you think that piano benches are made so wide?

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Going from a 9th to an 11th sounds like an extreme basically outlier example. Having a reach that big is not much of an advantage, if at all, except for a very limited repertoire(stride pieces by Fats Waller, for example).

That's right, and even in the music of Waller and other stride players, some would say breaking the tenths upwards or downwards produces a more rhythmically interesting effect anyway. Stephanie Trick, for example, has small hands and plays Waller beautifully.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
B
BDB Offline
B
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the Aeolian Harp etude of Chopin. If you cannot make the stretch, learn to arpeggiate.

Semipro Tech
O
OP Offline
O
Thanks everyone for your advice and thoughts. Appreciate it smile

Try "Exercises in extension" by Isidor Philipp. I find it really useful.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
For some of us the mere thought of a tenth stretch is pure fantasy. I have exceptionally small hands plus a damaged little right hand finger, which is about 1/4 inch shorter than normal with the bone barely covered by the skin. I learned to play octaves with thumb and third finger, supported by the fourth when necessary when sometimes the skin broke. I carried tissues in my pocket for recitals or competitions to discreetly as possible wipe the few drops of blood off the keys.

When I auditioned for Juilliard, I was terrified that this unorthodox finger gymnastic would doom me. So I scoped out pieces requiring the minimum of those repetitive octaves. I finally convinced myself if I played quickly enough with enough flourishes I might escape condemnation. Luckily the judges were sitting at a distance and either chose to ignore the few moments when I sneaked one in .. or didn't notice. None of my professors ever mentioned it after seeing the deformed finger.

Now in my senior years, I have gone back to baroque music, relishing the agility which four voices require. And happily play works requiring speed and dexterity with not too many of those right hand octave chords. Ten note stretch .... YIKES cry

Also how do you avoid injury besides stopping when it hurts?

You avoid injury by making comfort a priority. Playing the piano should feel basically good. If you find yourself frequently getting to the point where you need to stop because of the pain, it means that you're just not paying attention to how it feels while you play. Fix this!

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha clp 785 horrible chorus effect
by Chrisgilx - 08/13/22 10:51 AM
How are you learning?
by bennevis - 08/13/22 09:41 AM
Here am and a little help
by Mayopapayo - 08/13/22 07:14 AM
Inspiration
by Pingvin - 08/13/22 06:08 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,375
Posts3,215,974
Members106,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission