2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, EVC2017, 3 invisible), 1,214 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Talão Offline OP

Gold Supporter until June  2023
OP Offline

Hi everyone. I started studying/playing piano 6 months ago and one day a little melody came to me while playing around on the piano. I decided to sit down and get 16 measures out of the main idea. After a few days of work, I got this:

https://musescore.com/user/32499182/scores/5924249

I'm currently working on adding the left-hand harmony to it, but would love to hear any feedback you may have (good or bad) about the melody part. Thank you!

Talão

Yamaha U3 and Kawai MP11SE
My piano journey (playing since July 2019)
10 weeks into Duane Shinn's 52-Week Crash Course
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I like it! Particularly the first eight measures. You've followed the best yardstick for a solid melody ... the four measure one. Four measures or multiples form the basis for so much of our music.

For me the "aha" moment came when I simply followed the basic "sonata form" ... the ABA. Then I knew all I needed was that seed melody which could be developed and expanded into the related keys.

My personal clue to whether I have a keeper or not is if I get that "ear worm". If I hear my latest melody reverberating in my ears as I shop for groceries or try to take a nap, then I know I've got it. grin

My only other suggestion ... given very cautiously ... is that the key signature is one of the more difficult to read and to play. I notice this because most of my early work was written for students. But I also know composers have definite preferences. Synesthesia makes me feel that F minor is purple, so I respond most strongly to that key.

BTW ... pretty darned impressive after only 6 months lessons. Wish I had more students like you!

P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
Hi, Talão, this is a very nice pentatonic, Chinese-like tune you wrote. Are you Chinese by origin?

Talão Offline OP

OP Offline

Thank you both TheHappyPianoMuse and Pianist685 for your comments and feedback. I really appreciate it. I don't know what a pentatonic is :-), but I'll look it up.

I chose this key signature because I wanted to write a melody that used only black keys (for fun). The harmony that's coming along will use some white keys, it seems.

As for the Chinese-like style, it wasn't on purpose. I just started putting together the sounds that felt right to me at the time the inspiration was hitting. After I played the whole thing back to myself on MuseScore was when I realized this "Asian" sound was there. I'm guessing perhaps this is a property of the F# major key?

Talão

Talão Offline OP

OP Offline

BTW, TheHappyPianoMuse: I visited your website and listened to Laika. I like it very much! I'm adding it to my "to learn" list. It's probably out of my reach (skill-wise) at the moment, but I'm setting it as a goal.

Talão

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
So pleased you liked "Laika" ... each of the pieces has a little warning label as to the level of difficulty. I admit to being a little lax about these labels as the works have been getting increasingly more difficult. The latest one even required me to practice a bit before putting it on YouTube. They're getting harder to play than to compose ... grin

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission