2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Mark_C Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Here's audio of some of his performances at the Tchaikovsky competition.
I found it by looking for any Mozart by him, and was glad to find this whole collection on youtube.

Granting that he didn't play at his best forever, I loved his playing. Whenever I got to meet him, which all the contestants always did at the competitions, I would say, "I've never gotten over 'My Favorite Chopin'" (an album of his) and he always seemed to get a kick out of it.

This is lovely, fresh Mozart.
(What do I mean by "fresh"?
Maybe y'all can help me out grin .....I can't think of another word for it.)

B
B
Originally Posted by Mark_C
I would say, "I've never gotten over 'My Favorite Chopin'" (an album of his) and he always seemed to get a kick out of it.

I believe that "My Favorite Chopin" was my first intro to Freddy, on cassette tape, when I was a kid in my home country, and the record shops (the 'posh' ones in the city that sold imported - almost all American - classical LPs and cassettes) stocked mainly Cliburn, Horowitz and Rubinstein for piano music. (And Ormandy's "The Philadelphia Sound" for orchestral.)

Most of the tapes I bought were of Horowitz, because he gave the most crash-bang-wallop for my money (when you've got very little pocket money to spend, and you have to save for 3 months for each tape, you want the most bang for your buck... whistle), but Cliburn came second, and Rubinstein a long way behind (I think I got his Chopin waltzes, and they just seemed so......tame, and as a growing kid, you don't want tame, especially when you're becoming wilder).

I thought Cliburn's Chopin (and Tchaik 1) was pretty good, but at that time, he didn't have much competition for that kind of rep where I lived. (I bought Horowitz mainly for Liszt and Rachmaninov).

If music be the food of love, play on!
S
S
I enjoyed that Mozart, and I think I do get what you mean by "fresh." To me his interpretation is just enjoyable and alive in a way that Mozart often isn't for me. I was actually about to look for some historical audio/video like that, as I just finished reading two different books about Cliburn's historic competition victory: Stuart Isacoff's "When the World Stopped to Listen...Van Cliburn's Cold War Triumph and its Aftermath" (2017) and Nigel Cliff's "Moscow Nights...The Van Cliburn Story -- How One Man and His Piano Transformed the Cold War" (2016)...and I wanted to see if my ears agree with the various descriptions of Cliburn's playing during the competition.

F
F
Van Cliburn was probably at his best in Edward MacDowell's Second Piano Concerto in D minor (Opus 23). He played the concerto in a recording in 1960 (with the Chicago Symphony & conductor Walter Hendl), but his history with that piece goes way back. Apparently, he played the MacDowell Second with Dallas Symphony Orchestra in 1952, when he was 18 years old...a solid six years before the Tchaikovsky competition.

I love Van Cliburn's interpretation of MacDowell's Second Concerto more than any other interpretation.

Earl Wild rushes during some parts, Eugene List made technical mistakes in his recording. I've only heard one of many existing records of André Watts playing the MacDowell, a pirated recording on YouTube with Leopold Stokowski conducting, and there was a moment of miscommunication on tempo toward the end of the first movement.

Cliburn really understood MacDowell, who happens to be my favorite composer!

https://www.youtube.com/@4ms (Music and hobbies)
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

This is lovely, fresh Mozart.
(What do I mean by "fresh"?
Maybe y'all can help me out grin .....I can't think of another word for it.)

Yep. His Mozart bounces. I always think that's the mark of a great pianist.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by iaintagreatpianist
Van Cliburn was probably at his best in Edward MacDowell's Second Piano Concerto in D minor (Opus 23). He played the concerto in a recording in 1960 (with the Chicago Symphony & conductor Walter Hendl), but his history with that piece goes way back. Apparently, he played the MacDowell Second with Dallas Symphony Orchestra in 1952, when he was 18 years old...a solid six years before the Tchaikovsky competition.

I love Van Cliburn's interpretation of MacDowell's Second Concerto more than any other interpretation.

Earl Wild rushes during some parts, Eugene List made technical mistakes in his recording. I've only heard one of many existing records of André Watts playing the MacDowell, a pirated recording on YouTube with Leopold Stokowski conducting, and there was a moment of miscommunication on tempo toward the end of the first movement.

Welcome, and great first post!

I don't really know the piece, and I've only ever heard it once -- that is, part of it, on the radio, years ago. (48 years ago to be exact.) grin
It was in the middle when I tuned in. I had no idea what it was, but liked it enough to stay with it till the end -- and then I learned that it was this concerto, played by Cliburn.

S
S
Originally Posted by iaintagreatpianist

The one time I saw Cliburn perform live, he played that MacDowell concerto, at a performance in my University's concert series. It was shortly before he retired from performing in the late 70's. I remember talking with one of my piano teachers after the performance, the gist of which was that we were both expecting (unreasonably) to be bowled over, but it was just a nice, solid performance. Which I guess says a lot about what an impossible job Cliburn had every time he performed, of living up to his own reputation.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission