2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
39 members (CraiginNZ, Derek Mc, CyberGene, EB5AGV, Dave Horne, clothearednincompo, Bett, 6 invisible), 411 guests, and 437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 511 of 524 1 2 509 510 511 512 513 523 524
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
AOTW: I’ve just restarted playing piano, after a few years gap. This time around I’m focusing on playing by ear. Today I worked out a melody (Wayfaring Stranger) and then added a very simple accompaniment. And the achievement is: my ears have developed!

At one place I could hear that the sustained tonic chord didn’t sound quite as fantastic as it did everywhere else, so I changed it and then it sounded great. In fact the change in harmony sounded so great that now, for the very first time ever, I’m inspired to look through the rest of the melody to find places I can put in chords other than the perfectly adequate tonic chord, to make it all sound even more interesting.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
PS88, congratulations. You sound like you are really having fun with that smile

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
T
T
I think that I’ve finally nailed extending my major scales starting on black keys to 2 octaves.

I made the silly mistake of extending all 5 at the same time thinking that if I can play them to 1 octave, all I have to do is do that twice. I wasn’t bad going up the scale but coming back down again was a different matter.
By the time that I realised this wasn’t such a good idea, I had gone too far and needed to push through. It was extremely time consuming and messed up my practice but it’s done now.

I will now be adding scales one at a time.

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Before the December break, our music teacher in adult group class mentioned a piece we may be working on. It's only a short piece that is barely 2m long. Finished learning the piece in a week and time to move on to another more challenging piece that I've heard a few times before.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
After last week's "non-achievement",
Originally Posted by barbaram
I've also got 2 of Bach's Little Preludes recorded for the preludes recital. This feels more like a non-achievement of the week though!
</snip> now I've realised that there is a major problem with my playing of #1 (which I thought would be a piece of cake), so I am working on fixing this and recording it by the deadline but haven't yet :-)

This week's achievement is that I did fix the issue*, record the piece & submit to the preludes recital, despite the Windows Surface that I use for recording crashing horribly and needing a complete re-install.

* well, more or less. The issue isn't 100% resolved but it's much, much better

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My AOTW this week is recording my second 40 piece challenge piece. Doing these easier pieces allows me to pay more attention to detail, and to correct problems quickly. I literally hear my teacher in my head as a guide. I am recording each piece several times during the week allowing me to better assess how it is sounding. It is great feedback.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
A bit late as holidays are already finished, but I embellished this lovely happy piece and could find time to record it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I, for one, will happily listen to Skater's Waltz year round smile

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Jytte
I, for one, will happily listen to Skater's Waltz year round smile

Me too, I think it's a great composition. There are many beautiful Waldteufel pieces.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
A disciplined practise session this morning. That is it.

I've got one piece close to being done, and I've put so much time into it recently including attempting recordings and I've another piece that is starting to sound nice which I've been lazily falling back to when not working on the first.

This means more disciplined practise on other things I have let slip a bit recently. This morning however was a very disciplined practise focussing on a piece I have nicknamed my nemesis. Plus doing some technical finger exercises.

T
T
I actually managed to play along with a metronome for the first time. This is something that has never come natural to me. I’ve really struggled in the past with it. I usually go to pieces having to concentrate on two things. I was starting to think that I'd never do it.

I think what I’ve managed to do is, instead of splitting my concentration 50/50 between listening to the metronome and playing, I allot just 10% of my concentration to the metronome (or thats how it feels).
What has also helped is that I downloaded a metronome app that has both a visual aid (a row of lights) and a different tone for the start of each bar. I can put this to the side of the music where I can just see it out of the corner of my eye.

Hopefully with a bit more practice, I'll get comfortable enough to use the inbuilt metronome on the piano.

F
F
TreeFrog, playing with a metronome is a significant milestone.

The metronome IS a distraction and however you manage to deal with it is an important skill. Keep at it, don't let it slide.

Just do it. -- Nike
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Teacher signed off on another piece this evening. That was the achievement. The excitement is I can start on a transcription of Ginastera’s Milonga. Really looking forward to it. I hope I don’t destroy it by having too high expectations of how I want it to sound.

Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
My AOTW was bringing back my Mozart sonata first movement from the closet where it had been gathering dust and playing it for my teacher and getting through it without a major meltdown. Putting it aside for a time did seem to help--my skills advanced during that time and the time off refreshed my enthusiasm.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
My AOTW also relates to a Mozart Sonata. Good ol' 545 in my case.

I am struggling so bad with the trills and playing them anything like the required speed. Finally last night, just the once I managed to play one of the trills at full speed and pretty evenly if you ask me. I wasn't able to repeat it, and it is only one of the trills. But I've been working at this for so long I'd almost given up hope.

Now I have an indication that I can do it, I've done it once and I just need to repeat that. There is still going to be tears and frustration on this in the future, but this has given me fresh hope.

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
My AOTW was my first real experience of ensemble playing. After weeks of working on my "solo" part of Marion Verhaalen's "Concertino" for two pianos, I finally got to hear it together with the "orchestra" part, played by my teacher on the Kawai that I usually play for lessons. I played her treasured 9' Bosendorfer: a very rare treat (I refer to it as the Lamborghini). It took most of the lesson to get through all three movements but it was SO MUCH FUN!

"Serena," my Estonia L168.

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by treefrog
.What has also helped is that I downloaded a metronome app that has both a visual aid (a row of lights) and a different tone for the start of each bar. I can put this to the side of the music where I can just see it out of the corner of my eye.

Good for you, Treefrog! What app are you using? I like the idea of a visual cue.

"Serena," my Estonia L168.
T
T
Originally Posted by Qwerty53
Originally Posted by treefrog
.What has also helped is that I downloaded a metronome app that has both a visual aid (a row of lights) and a different tone for the start of each bar. I can put this to the side of the music where I can just see it out of the corner of my eye.

Good for you, Treefrog! What app are you using? I like the idea of a visual cue.

It’s called 'Metronome: Tempo Lite'.

I’m not sure if it’s on Android but here’s a link to the Apple version.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/metronome-tempo-lite/id599833596

H
H
My achievement of the 'week' is the fact that I haven't missed a single day of piano practice/playing time so far this year! I'm also having regular lessons now and making good progress on my exam pieces with my teachers' help. The consistency is starting to pay off! laugh

(Learning piano 'on and off' since 2009/2010)
L
L
In the past week I've played through Godowsky's first Waltz-Poem for the left hand. I almost have it memorized. It's not up to speed everywhere, and I'll have to work to shade its voices well, but the sheer mechanical difficulty of it is now something I can do--the rapid leaps double notes and changes of hand position. It's a piece that I tried to play a year ago but was not ready for yet, when every jump seemed perilous and sequence of double notes seemed impossible to do at even what felt to be 1/8 tempo. I spent the fall playing through Philipp's left hand school, and doing particular focus in warmups on the left hand (scales, arpeggios, thirds, sixths, three and four note chords, octaves, trills, plus playing everything tricky in the right hand in the left hand and improvising melodically with the left hand)--so it's very exciting to see my work has payed off. Although my overall skill level is still in the beginner range, my left hand is not, and my practice is getting more elaborate (inverting rh etudes for the left, practicing the mechanics of Godowsky etudes)--so it feels like my dream music will one day be playable.

Page 511 of 524 1 2 509 510 511 512 513 523 524

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bosendorfer VC
by wg73 - 04/20/21 03:00 AM
Excited to find Piano World forums
by SunnyKeys - 04/20/21 01:21 AM
Windows Audio Low Latency Mode in UVI Workstation
by OzarkCDN - 04/20/21 12:30 AM
First jam session tips
by Utkonos - 04/19/21 09:47 PM
Help with old hardware - MusicPad Pro Freehand
by ElmerJFudd - 04/19/21 09:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,404
Posts3,084,304
Members101,246
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission